Is AT&T a CDMA or GSM Network?
GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communications. GSM and CDMA are the 2 types of 3G networks that cell phone carriers use to provide your service.
In the past, you couldn't use a CDMA network's phone on the GSM network and vice versa. However, most newer smartphones can operate on either type of service.
Some older phones can as well, just make sure you research your specific device to find out whether it's compatible with both before buying a cell phone plan.
Cheap GSM Plans
If you're shopping around for a new carrier, consider MVNOs - Mobile Virtual Network Operators. These are smaller mobile providers that rent space on the same networks the big guys use and then sell it to you at a lower price.
AT&T vs h2o Wireless Price Comparison
Keep your AT&T phone, number & coverage: Save $562 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G LTE||Unltd*||$75/mo||$900/yr|
|h2o Wireless||AT&T 4G LTE||6GB||$30/mo||$338/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$45/mo||$562/yr|
AT&T MVNO Benefits
- Get the same great service: You get cell phone service on the very same networks the major providers use.
- Save over half: MVNO plans typically save you 50% or more over the big four carriers.
- Custom plans: Only pay for what you actually need and use.
- No contracts or credit checks: No commitment and everyone is welcome!
- Keep your phone: Most MVNOs are BYOP (bring your own phone) - keep your device and your number.
AT&T GSM Carriers
|Red Pocket Mobile||AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon|
|Straight Talk||AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon|
|TracFone||AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon|
|Consumer Cellular||AT&T, T-Mobile|
|Net10||AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon|
Cheap GSM Phones
You can also save a bundle on your smartphone by purchasing a used or refurbished GSM phone to go with your new plan.
Refurbished Phone Benefits
- Save half or more off retail: For less than half the price you can get a smartphone model just a year or two old.
- It's a great value: Most model years only see minor tweaks to existing smartphone designs. Get a steal of a deal without sacrificing the features you love.
- Keep your freedom: Buying your phone outright means you can leave your carrier any time you want - like when you find a cheaper cell phon0e plan.