Google certainly is taking over the tech world what with Google Fiber - their internet that offers a free plan - and now a cell phone service. But is their cell phone project just as good of a deal?
Compare Now: Google Fi Cell Phone Plans
Google Fi launched in 2015 for the Nexus 6. In the beginning, it was an exclusive service available by invite only (kind of like Pinterest).
Interested? Read through our Google Fi review to find out if this service is right for you.
Table of Contents
Google Fi Highlights
- Coverage on T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular networks
- Prepaid with a twist - no contract, credit check, or activation fees; if you use more or less data than the plan you choose, you'll be credited or billed for the difference
- Bring your own compatible device or buy a Google Fi phone
- Keep your phone number
- Mobile hotspot/tethering supported
- International calling available; international roaming available in over 200 countries using your plan data and a flat fee per talk minute
- 24/7 customer service
Google Fi Cell Phone Plans
Google Fi plans have a base rate that includes unlimited calls, texts (international included), Wi-Fi tethering to use as a hotspot, and access to cellular coverage in 170+ countries.
The average T-Mobile user with an unlimited data plan uses around 6GN of data/month. That means they're overpaying.As you can see from the chart below, Google Fi may not be the best option for people who are heavy data users. However, if you use 3GB or less per month you'll see hundreds of dollars in savings per year.
Keep in mind that Google Fi does give you a phone leasing option which allows you to pay off your device in 24 monthly payments that will be added to your bill. If you choose this your plan price will go up.
If you are a heavy data user, check out our plan savings calculator and see which plan will give you the most bang for your buck.
Google Fi Pricing: Is it Competitive?
|Carrier||Network Coverage||Data Limit||Monthly Price||Annual Price|
|Sprint||Sprint 4G LTE||Unlimited*||$60||$720|
|Google Fi||Sprint 4G LTE||4GB||$60||$720|
|* Avg Sprint unlimited plan customer uses 4GB data per month|
Google Fi Coverage
Google Fi is an MVNO that runs on both the Sprint and T-Mobile 4G LTE networks. When multiple carriers are available you will be moved to the network that is the fastest in the area.
How are they able to use these networks? Google Fi, like every other MVNO, buys coverage in bulk and sells it to consumers at a more affordable price. If you bring your own phone you'll need to purchase a Google Fi Sim Card.
Knowing whether or not you can get cellular service with this provider is as easy as checking the Google Fi coverage map.
Google Fi Cell Phone Deals
Google Fi Phone Options
You've got fewer phone options with Google Fi than you would with most other MVNOs. Meaning Google Fi is available with the Pixel Family, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Android One Moto X4, Moto G6, LG V35 ThinQ, and LG G7 ThinQ.
So, if you're hoping to switch to Google Fi you can either:
- Bring your own phone – You can only do this if you have a compatible device.
- Buy new – Google Fi has a very limited selection of phones that work with the service.
- Buy refurbished – Doing so will save you hundreds of dollars in the long run and give you a perfectly reliable device.
Whatever phone you choose you'll need a Google Fi SIM card. If you bring your own phone however you'll need to adjust the Google Fi APN settings.
Key Considerations When Choosing Google Fi
Google Fi may be the right choice for you but first, there are some questions you'll need to ask yourself:
- Are you a light, medium, or heavy data-user? (This affects your price)
- Do you have a compatible smartphone or are you going to buy one from the carrier?
- Does the Sprint and/or T-Mobile network offer adequate coverage in your area?
Google Fi gives you service on the nationwide Sprint and T-Mobile networks for a bargain as long as you use 3GB of data or less per month. Make sure to compare them with cheap cell phone plans from other carriers before making your decision.
Don't just take our word for it. Find out what real customers are saying in our Google Fi mobile customer reviews.
Save even more money by purchasing a refurbished Google Fi phone to go with your new low-cost plan.
Compare Now: Google Fi Cell Phone Plans