Is Sprint a GSM or CDMA Network?
CDMA stands for Code Division Multiple Access. GSM and CDMA are the two types of radio frequencies used to provide 3G service (the type your device falls back on if you lose your 4G signal).
Up until a few years ago you had to have a Sprint CDMA phone if you had Sprint service. More recent phone models, however, are more likely to work with either GSM or CDMA.
If you have an older model phone you can check with your carrier that your device is compatible before deciding on a cell phone plan.
Cheap CDMA Plans
Sprint isn't the only option if you've got a CDMA phone. MVNOs - Mobile Virtual Network Operators - are smaller, cheaper mobile carriers. Because they use the same networks as the big guys, you don't have to sacrifice service quality.
Sprint vs Tello Price Comparison
Keep your Sprint phone, number & coverage: Save $252 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|Sprint||Sprint 4G LTE||Unltd*||$60/mo||$720/yr|
|Tello||Sprint 4G LTE||Unltd||$39/mo||$468/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$21/mo||$252/yr|
Sprint MVNO Benefits
- Same network: Sprint MVNOs use the Sprint wireless network, giving you the same connection quality you'd get at name-brand prices.
- Better prices: You'll save 50% or more on your cell phone plan by going with an alternative carrier.
- Customized plans: Choose the plan that fits you and your budget.
- Keep your own phone: Most MVNOs are bring your own phone - or BYOP - carriers. Keep your device and your phone number.
- No contracts or credit checks: Signing up is simple, and you keep your freedom because there are no contracts.
Sprint CDMA Carriers
|Ting||Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon|
|Red Pocket Mobile||Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T|
|Net10||T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon|
|Pix Wireless||Sprint, AT&T|
|Google Fi||Sprint, T-Mobile, Three|
|Straight Talk||Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T|
|TracFone||Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T|
Cheap CDMA Phones
Save half or more on your device too by purchasing a refurbished CDMA phone.
Refurbished Phone Benefits
- Save hundreds of dollars: Get a popular smartphone in great condition for about 50% of retail price or less.
- Big bang for the buck: Phone models typically only get minor changes from year to year. Get your favorite features without being tied to painful device payments.
- Stay in control: When you buy your own phone instead of financing through your carrier you can leave any time you want - like when you find a cheaper cell phone plan.