Sprint bring your own phone plans
Considering a change to the Sprint network? I know what you're thinking: can I keep my own phone or will I have to buy a Sprint device?
Not only can you bring your own phone but you can also save even more money by switching to a cheaper wireless carrier that uses the nationwide 4G LTE Sprint network.
These carriers are called MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operators). These smaller cell phone plan providers buy up space on the big three networks and sell it to you at a discount.
MVNOs are well known for being BYOP (bring your own phone) friendly. In fact, some MVNOs require that you provide your own device.
This saves you money as well as giving you freedom. Because you own your own cell phone you won't be tied to one carrier due to phone payments. You can switch any time you like, whether you find a better deal or you're simply unhappy with your current provider.
So, how does all of this work? It's easier than you think. Let's take a closer look at why you should consider a Sprint MVNO.
Sprint vs Sprint MVNO savings
Sprint vs Tello comparison
Keep your Sprint phone, number & coverage: Save $492 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G/5G Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|Sprint||Sprint 4G & 5G||Unltd*||$70/mo||$840/yr|
|Tello||Sprint 4G & 5G||Unlimited||$29/mo||$348/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$41/mo||$492/yr|
Sprint bring your own phone benefits
Switching to an alternative carrier that offers plans on the Sprint network makes sense for several reasons:
- Cell service on the same nationwide 4G LTE Sprint network you're used to
- Cheaper cell phone plans - typically more than 50% less
- BYOP and keep your phone number
- Custom plans so you only pay for what you actually need
- No contracts, credit checks, or commitments
- Great customer service
- Easy sign up by ordering a SIM card activation kit online
Best Sprint BYOP phone plans
Best cheap prepaid Sprint BYOP plan
Best Sprint BYOP plan for unlimited data
Best Sprint BYOP plan for families
Best Sprint BYOP plan for talk & text only
Best Sprint BYOD plan for hotspot & tablet data
Keep your Sprint phone & network coverage
It's easy to bring your device to a Sprint MVNO.
- Choose a carrier powered by Sprint. Each carrier offers something different in terms of plans and features. Shop around until you find the right fit for your usage and budget.
- Check Sprint bring your own phone compatibility. Sprint is a CDMA network, so GSM phones will not work for their service. GSM is the network type that AT&T and T-Mobile use. CDMA is what Verizon and Sprint use. You'll get the best functionality out of your device if you use the correct type for the network.
- Sign up and order a SIM card kit. In most cases, you'll simply order your SIM card and pop it into your phone. Some carriers include a free SIM card with your plan while others charge a small fee for the kit.
Sprint BYOP plans comparison
|US Mobile 500MB plan||500MB||T-Mobile||$5* FREE 10-Day Trial|
|Tello 1GB plan||1GB||T-Mobile||$10|
|Mint Mobile 4GB plan||4GB||T-Mobile||$15** 3 Months FREE: $45 for 6 mths service|
|US Mobile 15GB plan||15GB||T-Mobile||$20* FREE 10-Day Trial|
|Mint Mobile unlimited data plan||Unltd||T-Mobile||$30** 3 Months FREE: $90 for 6 mths service|
Do you really need Sprint unlimited data?
The big three put a lot of effort - and advertising dollars - into convincing you that unlimited data plans are an absolute necessity. But are they?
You might be surprised to learn that Sprint unlimited plan customers use an average of 5 GB of data per billing cycle. You wouldn't buy three shoes, would you? You've only got two feet! Don't pay for more data than you use either.
You might be wondering how to figure out how much data you need. We make it simple and fast with our data usage calculator.
Stop paying premium prices for your phone and your mobile service:
- Bring your own phone instead of blowing $1000 on a new one.
- Save 50% on a refurbished smartphone when it's time for a new device.
- Save up to half or more on your cell phone plan with a Sprint MVNO.
- Sell your old phones and put cash back into your pocket.
Want to see just how much you could be saving? Use our cell phone plan savings calculator to get the hard numbers in just three simple steps!