Is T-Mobile a CDMA or GSM Network?
GSM - which stands for Global System for Mobile Communications - is one of two types of wireless frequencies used for cell phone service. CDMA and GSM provide 3G service to fill in the gaps when your 4G signal drops.
Over the past couple of years cell phone technology has evolved to allow most smartphones to run on both GSM and CDMA networks.
If you're unsure whether your device is compatible with a network, check with the carrier before buying your cell phone plan.
Cheap GSM Plans
Of course you don't have to go with the bigger (translation: expensive!) wireless carriers. MVNOs, or Mobile Virtual Network Operators, are smaller mobile providers that use the very same networks as the big guys. They just give you better rates.
T-Mobile vs Mint Mobile Price Comparison
Keep your T-Mobile phone, number & coverage: Save $600 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|T-Mobile||T-Mobile 4G LTE||Unltd*||$70/mo||$840/yr|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile 4G LTE||8GB||$20/mo||$240/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$50/mo||$600/yr|
T-Mobile MVNO Benefits
- Service on the T-Mobile network: You get wireless service on the very same network as you do with the big guys.
- Cut your phone bill in half: MVNO plans typically cost 50% or less of the major providers' prices.
- Custom plans: MVNOs offer a variety of plans that let you choose what you need and pay for.
- No contracts: You retain total freedom to switch carriers any time you want.
- Keep your phone: You can bring your own phone (BYOP) and keep your phone number.
T-Mobile GSM Carriers
|Red Pocket Mobile||T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T|
|Consumer Cellular||T-Mobile, AT&T|
|Metro by T-Mobile||T-Mobile|
|Net10 Wireless||T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, U.S. Cellular|
|Google Fi||T-Mobile, Sprint, U.S. Cellular, Three|
|TracFone||T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T|
Cheap GSM Phones
Trying to tighten your budget up even more? Consider a refurbished GSM phone at a fraction of the retail cost of new.
Refurbished Phone Benefits
- Save half off retail price: You can buy slightly older smartphone models in great shape for 50% or less than you'd pay for new.
- Great bang for the buck: There are typically only small changes each time a new smartphone model comes out. Buying used gives you all the features you need without breaking the bank.
- Keep control: Owning your phone without device payments puts you in the driver's seat. Leave your carrier any time you find a cheaper cell phone plan.