U.S. Cellular, which is home to over 5 million subscribers as of Q3 2016, is the fifth largest available wireless provider, offering a wide range of prepaid plans.
U.S. Cellular is currently only available in 23 states so be sure to check and see if service is available in your area.
COMPARE NOW: US Cellular Cell Phone Plans
Curious to see how the fifth largest wireless network works? Read our complete U.S. Cellular review to see how they hold up against the big (and small) guys.
Table of Contents
US Cellular Highlights
- Coverage on the US Cellular network with roaming support on the big four major networks
- Postpaid plans require credit check and activation fee, prepaid plans are no contract and no credit check but may require an activation fee
- 15-day money-back guarantee - if you're unsatisfied, get a refund for the activation fee and any unused service
- Bring a compatible phone or buy a US Cellular phone
- Keep your phone number
- Mobile hotspot/tethering is supported
- International calling is billed at a per minute rate on postpaid plans and available as add-on packages for prepaid plans
- International roaming is supported on postpaid plans only
- Customer support available every day from 7am - 10pm CT
U.S. Cellular Cell Phone Plans
U.S. Cellular has three plans available. All of which gives you unlimited talk and text but the difference is among how much data you get. The data sizes include 2GB, unlimited, or unlimited plus.
With those big plans, however, comes big prices. In fact, their prices are most similar to the big four than any MVNO.
So if you're wanting an MVNO that's going to save you big bucks, check out our cheapest MVNO plans. Otherwise, you can still save over a hundred dollars a year by switching to this network.
You will, however, find better savings if you sign up with a family plan or small business plan through U.S. Cellular in which they discount you per line that you add.
U.S. Cellular Pricing: Is it Competitive?
|Carrier||Network Coverage||Data Limit||Monthly Price||Annual Price|
|Verizon||Verizon 4G LTE||Unlimited*||$75||$900|
|US Cellular||Verizon 4G LTE||Unlimited||$55||$660|
|* Avg Verizon user on unlimited plan uses 4GB data|
U.S. Cellular is limited in LTE coverage, but for in home areas, the LTE coverage and reliability are strong. That being said, if you're not in the carrier's area, you could suffer greatly from reduced data speeds.
U.S. Cellular is able to provide the customer with a strong rural LTE network. If you're in a rural cellular network and U.S. Cellular is available in your location, you may want to consider the wireless service.
U.S. Cellular Phones
Like the big four and most MVNOs, U.S. Cellular gives you three different phone options:
- Bring your own phone – U.S. Cellular operates on a CDMA network, so they're already compatible with both Sprint or Verizon phones. You may have to change the APN settings (not a big deal) and be sure your device is unlocked.
- Buy a new phone – U.S. Cellular offers a wide selections of phones through their with some of the newest devices. However, it's worth noting that if you choose to make monthly payments on your device your bill will go up.
- Buy a refurbished phone - You'll save the most money - up to 50% off retail - by shopping for refurbished phones compatible with U.S. Cellular. Compare prices and features on all your favorite Android and Apple devices from reputable sellers.
Once you have your device be sure to order your U.S. Cellular SIM card online.
Key Considerations When Choosing U.S. Cellular
Here are some key, general information you'll want on hand when deciding if U.S. Cellular is right for you:
- Do you live in one of the 23 states that U.S. Cellular covers?
- Do you need unlimited data?
- Are you going to bring your own phone (BYOP) or will you need one?
- Do you need a single-line plan or a family plan?
U.S. Cellular offers you coverage from the fifth largest wireless telecommunications network in the United States. Compare their offers against other cheap cell phone plans to ensure you get the best deal.
Find out what real customers are saying with our U.S. Cellular user reviews.
You can save more money by purchasing a refurbished phone compatible with U.S. Cellular instead of a brand new device.
If you choose to buy refurbished, it's well worth selling your old device for some extra change!
COMPARE NOW: US Cellular Cell Phone Plans