Is Verizon a GSM or CDMA Network?
CDMA stands for Code Division Multiple Access. CDMA and GSM are the two 3G wireless frequencies that provide service when you don't have a 4G signal.
While you should always verify device compatibility, many phones produced in the past couple years work with both GSM and CDMA networks.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Verizon network tends to be a bit more finicky than the others when it comes to compatible phones. Even if your device works on both GSM and CDMA radio frequencies you still need to ensure that it works with Verizon's network.
Cheap CDMA Plans
Verizon is known for being one of the most expensive wireless carriers of the big four. You can save up to half or more though, while keeping your service on the Verizon network, by going with a Verizon MVNO.
MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operators) are smaller carriers that offer better prices on mobile service on the same big four networks the name brands use. MVNOs that use the Verizon network include Twigby, Ting, and US Mobile.
Verizon vs US Mobile Price Comparison
Keep your Verizon phone, number & coverage: Save $480 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|Verizon||Verizon 4G LTE||Unltd*||$80/mo||$960/yr|
|US Mobile||Verizon 4G LTE||Unltd||$40/mo||$480/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$40/mo||$480/yr|
Verizon MVNO Benefits
- Service on the nationwide Verizon network: MVNOs provide wireless plans on the very same network as the big guys use.
- Save up to 50%: Get wireless rates up to half or more off the big guys' prices.
- Custom plans: Choose from a range of plans designed to fit your needs and budget.
- No contracts: MVNOs let you keep your freedom. Switch carriers any time you want.
- Keep your phone: These smaller carriers are typically bring your own phone (BYOP) so you can keep your device and your phone number.
Verizon CDMA Carriers
|US Mobile||Verizon, T-Mobile|
|Red Pocket Mobile||Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T|
|Straight Talk||Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T|
|Net10 Wireless||Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, U.S. Cellular|
|Pix Wireless||Sprint, Verizon|
|TracFone||Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T|
Cheap CDMA Phones
Another great way to save money on your wireless bill is to buy a refurbished cell phone. Save half or more off the retail price of new.
Refurbished Phone Benefits
- Save 50% or more off retail: Get flagship smartphones in excellent condition for hundreds less than new.
- It's a great value for your dollar: New phone models usually only get minor upgrades from year to year. Hold onto your money and still get all the features you love.
- Retain your freedom: Buying your phone outright means you decide when to leave your carrier for a cheaper cell phone plan.