Verizon switch deals starting at $10
Switching to a cheap Verizon carrier
A Mobile Virtual Network Operator is, simply put, a company that leases the use of the big networks' towers so that they can resell that service to you.
These MVNOs offer several major advantages over the big four:
- Better prices: Verizon MVNOs have much lower overhead and marketing costs than the big guys, so they can give you better rates.
- Customised plans: The big four carriers all have one main offering - unlimited data. The flaw in this ploy is that most smartphone users barely reach 3GB of data usage per month. This means you may be paying bloated prices for something you don't even use. MVNOs let you decide how much of each feature you need - and pay for.
- No contracts: All low-cost carriers offer prepaid plans. If you're unhappy you can leave anytime you want.
- BYOP: Bringing your own phone will save you between $10 and $30 per month in pricey device payments (which, incidentally, work as a form of contract, keeping you tied to your expensive carrier).
Verizon unlimited data plans
|Plan||Data||Monthly Price||Annual Cost|
|Verizon Play More Unlimited||Unlimited||$80||$960|
|Verizon Do More Unlimited||Unlimited||$80||$960|
|Verizon Get More Unlimited||Unlimited||$90||$1,080|
Verizon vs US Mobile Plan Comparison
Keep your Verizon phone, number & coverage: Save $420 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|Verizon||Verizon 4G LTE||Unltd*||$80/mo||$960/yr|
|US Mobile||Verizon 4G LTE||Unltd||$45/mo||$540/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$35/mo||$420/yr|
Cheap Verizon plan features
- 4G LTE data speeds: Since Verizon MVNOs are all powered by the Verizon network, you'll pay less without sacrificing speed. A number of MVNOs also offer 5G speeds where available.
- Unlimited talk and text messaging: Finding a new unlimited plan has never been easier. Virtually all small carriers include unlimited text and calls in their plan options. Compare cheap talk and text plans with or without data.
- International calls to Canada and Mexico: International calling is a must for many people. Luckily MVNOs offer some of the best international phone plans, with free calling to certain countries like Canada and Mexico, and discounted rates on others.
- Multiline discounts: Low-cost carriers also offer some of the cheapest family cell phone plans, with multi-line discounts.
- Wi-Fi calling: This feature is handy when you're out of your service area, allowing you to make calls over the internet instead of on your cellular connection.
- Tethering/hotspot data: Many low-cost carriers allow you to use your phone as a hotspot. Pick an MVNO with the best mobile hotspot plans so you can share your mobile hotspot data with other devices.
- HD video streaming: Just like the big guys, some MVNOs offer HD video streaming and some don't. Read the fine print to find the option you want.
Compare cheap Verizon plans
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||1GB||$12Free Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM|
|Twigby||Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||3GB||$10** 50% Off for 6 Months|
|Ting||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||Unltd||$25** $20 Off for 3 Months|
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||30GB||$30Free Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM|
|Red Pocket||AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||3GB||$10** 50% Off First Month|
How to switch to a cheap Verizon deal
Regardless of your current mobile provider, there are some things you'll need to do before switching to a new carrier:
- Choose a carrier. Look at the different Verizon MVNOs listed later in this guide and find one that services your area and offers the features you want. Each carrier has a little something different to offer, so you shouldn't have trouble finding a good fit.
- Choose a plan. The average smartphone user only goes through about 3GB of data per month. Yet you're likely paying the better part of $100 per month for unlimited data you'll never use. MVNOs give you customization options so that you only pay for what you'll use.
- Get your phone unlocked. Most MVNOs save you money by allowing you to bring your own device. You can ask your carrier to unlock your phone as long as it's paid off, isn't lost or stolen, and you're not in the middle of a contract.
Switching from T-Mobile
This means your phone may or may not work with your new provider. Some global phones, LTE devices, and newer iPhone models are compatible with both T-Mobile and the Verizon LTE network.
Switching from AT&T
AT&T operates on GSM rather than CDMA. Some GSM phones designed for the LTE network may work.
AT&T does carrier lock their devices so you'll need to have them unlock it. This is a simple process as long as you don't have an outstanding contract or device payments and your phone hasn't been reported lost or stolen.
Verizon cell phone deals
As I'm sure you've noticed, a $1,000 price tag on a smartphone is considered normal these days. Device payments make it seem a little less painful, since you're paying about $30 a month instead of a lump sum. Here's the problem though - financing ties to you your carrier, essentially functioning as a contract.
Compare Verizon phone deals
|Apple iPhone 12 mini||Verizon, T-Mobile||US Mobile||$729|
|Apple iPhone 12 Pro||Verizon, T-Mobile||US Mobile||$999|
|Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max||Verizon, T-Mobile||US Mobile||$1,099|
|Samsung Galaxy Note20||Verizon, T-Mobile||US Mobile||$1,199|
Verizon prepaid phone benefits
- Buying a prepaid Verizon phone makes switching carriers a breeze.
- Compare phone prices and save up to 25% on popular devices, like the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.
- Save even more by choosing a refurbished phone.
Verizon prepaid carriers list
|Boom! Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile|
|Page Plus Cellular||Verizon|
|Red Pocket||AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon|
|Straight Talk||T-Mobile, AT&T & Verizon|
|Ting||T-Mobile & Verizon|
|Tracfone||Verizon, AT&T & T-Mobile|
|Twigby||Verizon & Sprint|
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile|
|Wing||AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile|
Switch to Verizon FAQs
How do I activate a Verizon SIM card?
If you're bringing your own device, you typically order a 4G LTE SIM card from the website. Your new carrier will provide instructions.
Can I bring my own phone to Verizon?
You may be able to bring your phone if it meets the provider's requirements. If not, you can easily save hundreds of dollars by buying an affordable secondhand or refurbished device.
Can I transfer my phone number to Verizon?
Yes, you can. The important thing to remember is not to cancel your current service until the transfer is complete. If you cancel your current cell phone service before the new provider brings your phone number over, your number will no longer be available.
Does Verizon have coverage in my area?
Verizon MVNOs enjoy the same nationwide 4G LTE coverage as Verizon itself. However, if you live in a particularly remote area, check the company's coverage map to be sure you can get service in your location.
There you have it: now you know what to do if you want to make the switch to an alternative Verizon carrier. There's no longer any reason to pay high rates for data and services that you'll never use.
Verizon MVNOs offer the basics you expect like unlimited talk and text, and even international calling options, plus a data usage package tailored to your needs.
As intimidating as it can feel to change your cell service, an alternative mobile provider is a solid choice that will put hundreds of dollars back in your pocket.