It's been around since 2001 when it was founded as a joint venture between Sprint and Virgin Group.
In 2017, Virgin Mobile announced that they would be the first MVNO to offer iPhones ONLY. However, since the beginning of 2018, they've started offering Android devices again.
Want to know more about this MVNO? Like just how much they can save you? Read on to find out everything you need to know in MoneySavingPro's Virgin Mobile Review.
Virgin Mobile Review
Virgin Mobile Highlights
- Coverage on the Sprint network
- Prepaid service - no contract, credit check, or activation fee
- Bring your own eligible iPhone or buy a Virgin Mobile device
- 7-day no-questions-asked return period
- Keep your phone number
- Mobile hotspot available at a daily fee
- International calling available as add-ons
- Customer service available by phone from 7am to 10pm CST 7 days a week
Virgin Mobile Prepaid Plans
Virgin Mobile offers three separate plans that all include unlimited talk and text. The only difference is the data amount. You can choose from 5GB, 10GB, or unlimited data.
The average Sprint customer with an unlimited plan uses 5GB or data or less per month. Keep that in mind and compare the Virgin Mobile 5GB plan to the Sprint unlimited plan and you've got yourself some major savings.
It's important to note that even though you're paying far less you won't be sacrificing coverage. You'll get the same coverage as any Sprint customer.
Virgin Mobile Savings
Virgin Mobile Coverage
Virgin Mobile functions on Sprint's network, as it is owned by Sprint. Though Sprint's network has improved greatly over the years, it's still not as great as Verizon and AT&T. You can find out for yourself how Sprint's network fares against competitors with, "Who Has the Best Cell Phone Coverage?"
You should review Virgin Mobile's coverage map before deciding on the carrier.
Virgin Mobile Cell Phone Plans
Virgin Mobile Phone Deals
Virgin Mobile gives leaves you with lots of phone options when you switch:
- Bring your own phone - Since this provider operates on a CDMA network, you'll have the most luck with compatibility if you've got a Sprint or Verizon phone. You may have to change the APN settings (don't worry, it's easy) and you should make sure your device is unlocked.
- Buy a new phone - Virgin Mobile offers a wide selection of phones through their site. Keep in mind that if you choose to make monthly payments on your device your bill will go up.
- Buy a refurbished phone - You'll save the most money - up to 50% off retail - by shopping for refurbished Virgin Mobile phones. Compare prices and features on all your favorite Apple and Android devices from reputable sellers.
Once you have your device you can order your Virgin Mobile SIM card online.
Here are a few questions you should ask yourself if you're considering an MVNO such as Virgin Mobile:
- How much data do you use per month?
- Will you bring your own phone (BYOP) or purchase a new one?
- Will you be OK operating 100% online with little to no stores to walk into?
- Does the Sprint network coverage operate in your area?
- Do you need a single-line plan or a family plan?
Find out what real customers are saying with our Virgin Mobile user reviews.
Don't forget, you can save even more by purchasing a refurbished phone instead of paying a thousand dollars for a new phone.
If you do choose to upgrade, consider selling your old phone for cash online.