Prepaid cell phone plans have come a long way from their original pay-by-the-minute days.
Now what you'll find are the same kinds of options available in postpaid plans - unlimited data plans, mobile hotspot use, international service and more.
Even better, prepaid plans can save you 50% or more compared to postpaid plans from the major carriers.
COMPARE NOW: AT&T cell phone plans starting at $10 per month
If the AT&T network is your mobile network of choice, you're in the right place. In this guide, you're going to learn how to find the best AT&T prepaid plans, without paying big carrier prices.
Table of Contents
Love the AT&T Network but Hate Postpaid Plan Prices?
If you feel like your monthly bill has been inching up bit by bit, you're not alone, and you're not imagining things. The average cell phone bill has grown to $80 a month, thanks in large part to the heavy push toward unlimited everything.
Prepaid is a great way to keep your costs down and stay out of a contract. and you don't even need one of the big four carriers in order to reap the benefits of their reliable 4G LTE networks.
Smaller carriers called MVNOs rent extra capacity on the major wireless networks and resell it at cheaper prices. They offer lower rates because they have lower overhead, typically operating through a website rather than in retail stores.
Benefits of Choosing an AT&T Prepaid MVNO
There are various reasons to go with this alternative option:
- Reliable service on the same AT&T 4G LTE network you already love
- Savings up to 50% or more off your monthly plan
- No-contract plans mean no credit checks
- Flexible plan options so you only pay for what you need
- Bring your own phone and keep your number
- Solid customer support
- Super easy to switch by ordering online and popping a new SIM card into your device
Find the best AT&T MVNO for prepaid plans later on in this guide.
Do You Actually Need Unlimited Data?
Between your favorite apps, HD video streaming, and browsing the web, you might think that unlimited data is an obvious choice.
The fact is that the average AT&T unlimited plan customer uses just 4 GB of data per billing cycle. Think about that - it's like paying for a month of Netflix and watching one episode of your favorite show. Doesn't make much sense, does it?
Just as with anything else you buy, the best way to save money on your cell phone plan is to identify exactly what you need and only buy that.
We make figuring out what you need simple with our data usage calculator.
Read More: Check out our review of the best prepaid cell phone plans
The Best Prepaid AT&T MVNOs
There are dozens of MVNOs to choose from, which means you'll need an idea of which ones offer the best coverage, features, and prices.
Here's our pick for the best AT&T MVNO.
Red Pocket Mobile
Red Pocket is a good all-around mobile service provider with a variety of monthly plans that fit most smartphone users.
- Choices from 500 MB to 12 GB of LTE speed data
- Free calling to 70+ international destinations including Mexico and Canada
- Unlimited talk and text on most plans
- Family plan available
- Free SIM card
Compare Now: Red Pocket Mobile prepaid plans
Other AT&T Prepaid Options
You could also consider comparing plans from these AT&T prepaid plan providers:
Switch to AT&T Prepaid in 3 Easy Steps
Switching carriers is way easier than you think. Once you know that the AT&T coverage map serves your area, all you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Pick a carrier. Choose the right AT&T MVNO for your usage and budget. As always, make sure you read all the fine print.
- Choose a plan. Now that you know how much data you really need you're totally in control. Pick a plan that meets your needs without costing you extra for unnecessary data.
- Check phone compatibility. This really comes down to the type of technology used on the network. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM vs CDMA which is what Sprint and Verizon Wireless use. If you already own an AT&T device you should be good to go.
Just in case your phone is not compatible, you'll need an affordable solution - which we've got for you next.
Save Even More - Buy a Refurbished AT&T Phone
If high smartphone prices have you nervous about switching to a prepaid carrier - because you'll need to bring your own device in most cases - there's a very savvy solution.
The used and refurbished smartphone market is booming, and that means price competition and great perks for you.
Benefits of Buying a Refurbished AT&T Phone
- Buying an unlocked AT&T phone makes switching carriers a breeze.
- Get popular devices, like the Samsung Galaxy series, for at least 50% cheaper than retail.
- Reliable sellers offer additional protection like warranties and generous return policies.
- Buying used is the green choice!
Compare Now: Find the best price on a refurbished AT&T cell phone
The wireless market is changing in favor of consumers. If you really want to save money on your cell phone bill, it's all up to you to take the leap:
- Choose an AT&T prepaid MVNO.
- Get on a plan that fits your needs instead of your carrier's bottom line.
- Buy a refurbished or cheap used AT&T phone and free yourself from expensive phone payments.
- Sell your phone for cash!
Not sure the AT&T network is the right choice for you? Compare the best cell phone plans available around the industry!