Are you keen to find out how to connect your phone to a TV?
While smartphone screens have become larger over recent years, they are still relatively small for a satisfying viewing experience. Additionally, you may run into a time when you need to enlarge your phone's screen without relying on a smart TV or streaming stick such as the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
If you're not sure how to connect your phone to a TV, don't worry. I will show you how so that you can enjoy viewing content on the big screen rather than on a four or five-inch smartphone or small tablet display. Read on for details.
How to Connect Your Phone to Your TV - In This Guide
- How Do I Connect My Phone to My TV?
- What is Screen Mirroring?
- How to Connect Your Android Device to a TV
- How to Connect Your iPhone to a TV
- How to Connect a Tablet to a TV
- How to Connect Your Phone Using an HDMI Cable
- How to Connect Your Phone to a TV Without HDMI
- How to Connect Your Phone to a TV Using USB
- How to Connect Your Phone to a TV Wirelessly
How Do I Connect My Phone to My TV?
The process of creating a mobile phone to TV connection is not as difficult as you might think and can prove invaluable to those who use their phones for entertainment. Many people these days use movie and music apps, play games, view photos or watch YouTube - by many people who watch YouTube, I'm talking about over a billion users - on their phones but it can be a real strain trying to view for any length of time on a small screen.
This is where your phone to TV connection can help. You can view the content that you would normally watch on your phone on a much larger screen once you know how to hook up a phone to TV. Using this guide, I will show you how to connect your mobile phone to a TV quickly and easily.
How to Stream from Your Phone to Your TV
In order to stream from phone to TV, there are a number of options that are available to you. You can choose the most appropriate option to stream from phone to TV. This section will show you how to stream Netflix from phone to TV, how to play videos from phone to TV and even how to play music from phone to TV using one of the streaming options that are available. These include:
- Opt for a wired connection: If you have an HDMI-ready TV you should be able to plug in your smartphone using an HDMI cable. You simply plug one end into the TV's HDMI port or your set-top box and the other into your phone or device. The display on your phone will then also show on the TV screen. You may have to use your TV remote to switch to the right input.
- Choose a wireless display connection: You can also opt for a wireless display solution that uses your Internet connection for screen mirroring. You can use AirPlay mirroring if you have an iPhone, which enables you to wirelessly connect your phone to your TV. You can even use a sound bar for audio instead of your TV speaker. Sound bars are perfect substitutes for TV speakers, allowing you to listen to music or watch a movie with great sound. Some are wireless, others aren't.
- Opt for a smart TV: Another option is a smart TV, such as a DLNA certified TV that can connect to your device via your home WiFi connection. According to The NPD Group and as of March of 2016, 52 percent of all U.S. homes with an Internet connection had at least one TV connected to the Internet.
- MHL Cable/Slimport: You can also use MHL Cable (Mobile High-Definition Link) and Slimport in order to connect a phone to TV. These adapters are able to convert the signal from your smartphone or tablet display to make it compatible with HDMI.
- Use Twonky Beam: Twonky Beam is a DLNA app system that lets you search the Internet for videos on your iOS or Android device. Once you find what you're looking for, you can beam the video to another DNLA device like the Apple Airplay, an Xbox, or Smart TV.
Read More: You can stream more than just Netflix onto your TV. We have a review of the best streaming sites for you, which is just a click away.
What is Screen Mirroring?
Screen mirroring is an excellent way to easily and wirelessly stream media content from your phone or tablet straight to your TV.
Well, this is where the display on your smartphone is 'mirrored' so that it appears exactly the same on your TV screen. You can get special devices that you can plug into your TV in order to enable screen mirroring and connect your phone to TV wirelessly.
- Android screen mirroring: on Samsung screen mirroring, Sony screen mirroring, LG screen mirroring and other Android phones, you can use the screen mirroring Roku streaming stick or other similar devices.
- To screen mirror iPhone videos and photos, you can use AirPlay mirroring but you will need to have an Apple TV for compatibility. If you have a jailbroken iPhone, the process is different. Download the Cydia app DisplayOut to mirror your screen on a jailbroken iPhone.
To mirror your iPad or iPhone video, photos, and more, you'll need the appropriate plugs. You can use a Lightning Digital AV Adaptor and an HDMI cable to enable screen mirroring through a wired connection.
How to Connect Your Android Device to a TV
There are a number of methods that you can use in order to connect Android to TV. You can:
- Use HDMI cable: If you have a TV with an HDMI port you can simply use an HDMI cable to connect a phone to TV. Simply plug the micro-USB into your phone's microUSB port and the HDMI connector into the port on your TV or your set-top box. You may have to use your TV remote to change the input before you see your Android screen mirrored.
- MHL/Slimport: In order to connect your Android tablet screen or phone to TV you can also use an MHL or Slimport adapter. These work by converting the signal between your device and the TV in order to make it HDMI compatible. These simply plug into your micro-USB port on the device.
- Use a wireless device: Using a wireless device such as the Roku stick or the Miracast Dongle will enable you to connect your phone to TV using screen mirroring and your Wi-Fi connection.
- Smart TV: You can connect your Android phone to your TV by investing in a smart TV, which will use your Wifi to connect you without the need for wires, cables or gadgets to stream content. Some great smart TVs are the Apple smart TV and the Samsung smart TV.
How to Connect Your iPhone to a TV
If you have an Apple device – an iPhone or iPad – and you want to know how to quickly and effortlessly connect your iPhone to an Apple TV you can use one of the following connection methods:
- Use AirPlay: Using AirPlay from iTunes will enable you to connect your Apple device wirelessly to your TV. You can then stream video, photos, music and content onto the big screen from your device.
- Lightning Digital AV Adaptor: Another method that you can use to connect your iPhone or iPad to your TV is a Lightning Digital AV Adaptor, which is compatible with devices with the appropriate plugs. This is a wired method that enables screen mirroring so that you can view content on the big screen.
Read More: You can compare the most popular iPhones with our iPhone deals guide.
How to Connect a Tablet to a TV
While tablet screens are larger than smartphone screens, the screen size can still negatively impact your viewing experience. Fortunately, you can also connect Android and iOS tablets to your TV with ease.
Connecting your Android Tablet
If you want to know how to connect your Android tablet to your TV, you can use one of the following methods:
- Cabled: You can connect your Android tablet using HDMI cabling. One end simply plugs into the tablet and the other into the HDMI port on the TV.
- Wireless: You can connect your tablet wirelessly if you prefer. Products and services including the Roku Streaming Stick, Miracast Dongle and Google Chromecast app and streaming device will enable you to wirelessly mirror the screen from your tablet to your TV.
- USB: Another option is to use a USB cable or adapter to connect your Android tablet to your TV. You can get standard ones as well as special 11 pin ones that are exclusive to Samsung devices.
How to Connect an iPad to a TV
We can also show you how to connect an iPad to a TV. The options available include:
- Use AirPlay: You can use AirPlay from iTunes to enable you to connect your iPad wirelessly to your TV. You can then stream content and audio onto the big screen from your device.
- Lightning Digital AV Adaptor: Another option is to connect your iPad to your TV via a Lightning Digital AV Adaptor, which is compatible with devices that have the appropriate plugs. This wired method allows screen mirroring to enable you to view content from your iPad screen on the big screen.
How to Connect Your Phone Using an HDMI Cable
There are a number of different options available when it comes to watching content on the big screen through a phone to TV cord. This makes it easy to view content on your TV rather than having to strain using the small tablet or smartphone screen.
While some people may think that wireless streaming is the way to go, this is not always a viable option. It may be that you do not have a very good signal, in which case you may face regular interruptions.
If you have an older device, you may not even be able to opt for wireless. Even if you can go wireless, you face the costs involved with purchasing a wireless receiver. Opting for a phone to TV cord is, therefore, an affordable alternative. The connection methods include:
- MicroUSB to HDMI cable: If your TV has Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) built in, you simply need a microUSB port and a cable to connect to the TV. One end of the cable connects to your mobile device's USB port and the other end connects to the HDMI port on your TV.
- MHL to HDMI adapter: If you have an older TV you may not have MHL built-in. In these circumstances, you can get a phone to TV adapter, which will enable you to connect. MHL to HDMI adapters is very affordable and ideal for TVs that do not already have MHL.
- Slimport: Certain Google, LG and Amazon devices can be connected via a SlimPort system. You simply need a SlimPort to HDMI adapter and then plug the SlimPort cable into your phone. You then connect the HDMI cable to the port on your TV.
- Lightning Digital AV Adapter: For your iOS device, you can purchase a Lightning Digital AV adapter for a wired connection to the TV. Your TV won't need MHL for this. There is a plug on one end for your phone and an HDMI port on the other. You simply plug an HDMI cable into the adapter with the other end plugged into your TV's HDMI port.
How to Connect Your Phone to a TV Without HDMI
Another option when it comes to connecting your phone to your TV is through a wireless connection, which means no need to worry about cables and HDMI leads. If you want to connect wirelessly you can:
- Use Roku: A Roku streaming stick makes it simple and fast to stream content to your TV without an HDMI cable through screen mirroring.
- Miracast and Chromecast: You can use Miracast or the Google Chromecast app and device to wirelessly connect your device to your flat-screen TV or HDTV without HDMI.
- AirPlay for iOS: If you want to connect your iOS device without HDMI you can use AirPlay from iTunes in order to connect.
- Smart TV: Another option is to go for a smart TV like the Samsung Smart TV that will enable you to connect via your WiFi rather than with an HDMI lead.
- Displayport Cable: The Displayport cable is a small plug that lets your digital devices connect with each other. The Displayport is designed to work on all devices, so you shouldn't have a problem using it to connect your phone or device to a TV without an HDMI cord. Check the Displayport Cable website to see how it works.
- Blu-Ray Player: If you have a Blu-Ray Player connected to your flat-screen TV or HDTV, you should be able to mirror your phone or device's screen wirelessly. Samsung outlines the Blu-Ray Player connection process on their website.
How to Connect Your Phone to a TV Using USB
You may prefer to connect your phone to a TV using a USB cable. This is simple to do and there are a number of options including:
- Standard micro-USB to HDMI adapter: A standard micro-USB to HDMI adapter can be used by most Android devices to connect to MHL systems.
- Samsung micro-USB to HDMI adapter: If you have a Samsung device, you can connect using the 11 pin Samsung micro-USB to HDMI adapter. These will not work with other Android devices, though.
- Lightning Digital AV adapter: For iPhones and iPads you can use the Lightning Digital AV adapter. Connect the adapter to the device and an HDMI cable between the TV and adapter. This will transfer content and audio onto your TV screen.
How to Connect Your Phone to a TV Wirelessly
Many people want to avoid the hassle involved in using cables to connect their phone to a TV. This is where wireless connections can prove ideal. We can show you how to connect your iOS device or Android phone to a TV wirelessly including how to connect your Samsung phone to a TV wirelessly.
- Using Roku: Using a Roku stick to wirelessly stream content from your Android to your TV is simple. You just enable screen mirroring in the settings and casting on your device. You then click on the icon for streaming on your device.
- Using Chromecast or Miracast: You can also use the WiFi connection at home to wirelessly stream content from your device via Chromecast or Miracast. These will enable mirroring with many Android devices.
- Samsung: Depending on which Samsung device you have, you will be able to use the Screen Mirroring, Smart View, or Quick Connect features in the settings section to wirelessly view content.
- Use AirPlay: If you want to know how to connect your iPhone to an Apple TV, the process is simple. You can head to iTunes and use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content from your iPhone or iPad to your TV.
- Use an app: There are also certain apps from the app store you can use to connect your phone to your TV wirelessly. Take the Allshare Cast for example. Once you download Allshare Cast from the app store, you can share your smartphone screen with photos and videos right to your TV from anywhere.
As you can see from the information above, connecting your smartphone or tablet to a TV is pretty simple. Whether you opt for wireless or cabled connection, you won't have to invest a lot of time or money. You can then enjoy enhanced viewing pleasure by enjoying entertainment and content on the big screen rather than on smaller tablet and smartphone screens.
Now that you know how to set up screen mirroring and connect your phone to a TV, you can start streaming! For an unparalleled streaming experience, you can compare side-by-side the best streaming devices to see which one suits you the best.
If you're currently using an older Android or iOS device that can't screen mirror wirelessly or doesn't have the appropriate port for a cable, you may need a newer device. You can compare cell phones side-by-side with our handy tool here. We also have an in-depth analysis of both the iPhone 7 and the Samsung Galaxy S7 phones as well.