If you're one of the over 200 million iPhone users, you probably think you're stuck with one of the big four carriers - and their high prices.
Wrong! You're about to find out how to save over 50% on your iPhone service without sacrificing quality and coverage.
Key Considerations When Choosing a Prepaid iPhone Plan
Each mobile provider is a little different, so there are some things to keep in mind when choosing a prepaid carrier for your iPhone plan.
Compare: Check out our guide to the cheapest cell phone providers.
- Coverage: See which network provides the best coverage where you live.
- Features: Do you need extras like international calling or mobile hotspot data?
- Device: Is your iPhone compatible with your new carrier or should you buy a new one?
- Lines: Do you need a single line or a family plan?
- Amount of data: Some plans offer unlimited data. Use our data calculator to see if you can save money in this area.
Consider a MVNO for the Biggest Savings
A Mobile Virtual Network Operator - MVNO - is a smaller carrier that buys space on the big four networks and offers discounted rates for mobile phone service.
Aside from offering cheap cell phone plans, there are more great benefits of MVNOs:
- 4G LTE data, talk, and text on America's most reliable mobile networks
- Custom plan options from basic talk plans to unlimited everything
- No contracts, credit checks, or long-term commitments because you pay for 30 days at a time
- Top-rated customer service, 24/7 in many cases
- Keep your iPhone and your number - just swap out SIM cards
- Easy to switch - buy your plan and SIM card online
Best Prepaid Unlimited Talk and Text Plan: Tello
You also get:
- Calling to Canada, China, and Mexico
- International and extra data add-ons
- No extra fees
Best Prepaid iPhone Unlimited Plan: US Mobile
This MVNO breaks its iPhone plans down into three categories:
- 100 minutes, unlimited texting and data
- Unlimited talk, text, and data
- Unlimited everything plus mobile hotspot data
- Standard: 1 Mbps
- Fast: 5 MBps
- Ludicrous: Uncapped data speed (up to 150 MBps - great for video and music streaming)
According to US Mobile most iPhones work on their service however it's always best to verify that info first.
Best Prepaid iPhone Family Plan: Mint Mobile
You put together your own iPhone family plan by picking the right amount of data for each family member. This means you can customize the amount of data, buying more for the heavy data users in the family. The more months you buy the deeper the discount.
Here's how it works:
- Use the website to make sure your unlocked GSM iPhones are compatible.
- Choose your data allotment for each line - 2 GB, 5 GB, or 10 GB.
- Choose the number of months you want to buy for each line - three, six, or twelve.
- Choose international roaming or data add-ons if you want.
All plans include unlimited calls and texts and 2G data once your high-speed data runs out.
Best Prepaid iPhone Plan for Kids: Mint
Mint Mobile is also a great option as a prepaid iPhone plan for kids. Why? Kids spend a lot of time at home on the WiFi, which means they really don't need a huge amount of data each month.
Mint's plans include unlimited calling and texting, plus only as much data as you choose. So your children will always be able to get a hold of you but you won't be paying ridiculous prices for their service.
Best Prepaid Plans for Seniors: Twigby
Twigby is perfect for those who don't need insane amounts of data but still want to stay connected at an affordable price. This makes it a great carrier if you're looking for the best senior cell phone plans.
You can choose from 150 MB up to 4GB of data, along with 200 to unlimited talk minutes. Global texting is free.
Best Cheap Prepaid iPhone Plans: Tello
Tello takes the cake for cheap prepaid iPhone plans. Whether you're buying a little or a lot of data, talking, and texting you'll pay less than half of what you're used to paying the major carriers.
Best Overall: Mint Mobile
Mint Mobile excels particularly well in two areas - affordable pricing and ease of switching.
Plus, you get everything you're accustomed to:
- Multiple data options
- Unlimited talk and text
- 7-day customer service
More Ways to Save Money on Your iPhone
We know that saving money on your iPhone plan isn't the only challenge you have. Those devices are expensive, and with the days of "free" phones from the big four carriers long gone you've got a decision to make about how to pay for your smartphone.
We've got two solutions that save you a bundle:
- Keep your iPhone. Chances are there's quite a bit of life left in current your device. MVNOs let you bring your own phone, plus this option is free!
- Buy a refurbished phone. When you buy a used iPhone, you'll save up to 50% off retail. IThat's hard to beat!
Apple iPhones hold their value better than any other device, so don't forget to compare offers on your old iPhone so you have some extra cash to put toward a newer one.
Compare: Looking for the cheapest plans? We've got you covered with our guide to the cheapest iPhone plans.
Competition among alternative carriers is fierce right now. Don't miss out on the chance to get your prepaid iPhone plan for a lot less!