If it's been a while since you shopped prepaid cell phone plans you're in a treat. This sector of the mobile service market has undergone huge changes in recent years.
Rather than just pay-as-you-go minutes, you can now choose from flexible - and affordable - plans designed to meet your needs.
COMPARE NOW: T-Mobile cell phone plans starting at $10 per month
In this guide, we'll show you how to find the best T-Mobile prepaid phone plans, including how to save 50% on your plan and your device.
You may not be aware of all the options so if want to save hundreds on your service, keep reading!
Table of Contents
Love the T-Mobile Network But Hate Postpaid Plan Prices?
According to the Pew Research Center, nearly one in five Americans see their smartphone as a financial burden. We don't think it should be that way.
Following decades of limited options for cell phone customers, competition is finally heating up. You now have the choice of keeping your great network performance without being trapped in expensive postpaid plans.
This competition is thanks to MVNOs - or Mobile Virtual Network Operators. MVNOs are smaller carriers that rent space on the big four networks. MVNOs can sell you this service at a cheaper price than the major carriers due to their lower operating costs.
Benefits of Choosing a T-Mobile Prepaid MVNO
Cheap cell phone plans may be the reason you come to a prepaid carrier but there are plenty of other benefits as well:
- Service on the same reliable 4G LTE network you love
- 50% or more off your monthly plan
- Flexible custom plans
- No contracts or overage charges with prepaid service
- Bring your own phone and number
- Great customer service
- Easy to switch by ordering a new SIM card online
Read More: Check out our guide to the best prepaid cell phone plans.
Do You Really Need Unlimited Data?
Even though the big four carriers make it sound like a necessity, unlimited data may be costing you way more than you need to pay.
When we looked at the numbers we found that T-Mobile unlimited plan customers use an average of just 6 GB of data per month. You wouldn't pay for a whole tank of gas then only pump a gallon, would you? It's like throwing money away!
A smarter strategy is to figure out how much data you actually do need, then buy a plan that fits your usage. We make it easy to get the real scoop with our data usage calculator.
The Best T-Mobile Prepaid MVNOs
Obviously, in order to take advantage of the savings available with prepaid cell phone plans, you'll need to know where to go.
Here are our favorite carriers for price, features, and prepaid plan options.
Formerly known as Mint SIM, this T-Mobile MVNO uses an innovative approach to save you tons.
- Service sold in bulk - 3, 6, or 12 months at a time
- 2 GB, 5 GB, or 10 GB of high-speed data
- Mobile hotspot usage allowed
- International service add-ons
- Free SIM card
Mint used to be BYOP only, however they now carry a solid line of top phones at great prices. For example, they have some of the best T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S8 deals and the best T-Mobile iPhone X deals.
Compare Now: Mint Mobile prepaid plans
This carrier is the way to go if you're searching for the best T-Mobile unlimited data plans. They also have plenty of other affordable plan options - including great international perks.
- Data options from 500 MB to unlimited
- Unlimited talk to 75+ countries, including Mexico and Canada
- Unlimited global text messages with all plans
- $5 rollover roaming credit
- Mobile hotspot usage
- SIM kit included
Compare Now: Ultra Mobile prepaid phone plans
The best prepaid T-Mobile MVNOs offer a wide variety of options just like the big guys. Whether you're shopping for the best T-Mobile individual plans or the best T-Mobile iPhone plans, you'll find something to fit your needs and your budget.
Switch in 3 Simple Steps
The thought of switching wireless carriers is intimidating, right? Don't worry, in reality, it's as easy as 1-2-3.
Once you check the T-Mobile network coverage map to make sure you'll get service, just follow these simple steps:
- Choose a T-Mobile MVNO. Pick a carrier with the features you want, like international calling or mobile hotspot usage.
- Pick a prepaid plan. Now that you know how much data you actually need, choosing a plan without overpaying should be a snap.
- Check phone compatibility. T-Mobile - like the AT&T network - uses GSM devices (Sprint and Verizon use CDMA). You'll need to check your new carrier's website to see if your phone will work on their service.
Once you've got everything in order, simply follow the activation instructions provided by your new carrier!
Don't have a T-Mobile phone? Up next - save 50% or more on a compatible device.
COMPARE NOW: Check out our smartphone comparison tool to compare prices and specs.
Save Even More - Buy a Refurbished T-Mobile Phone
Buying a new phone is a huge investment, with prices running as high as $1000 for flagship devices. You have a better option - buying a used or refurbished smartphone.
The market is teeming with incredible values on phones in great condition, unlocked and ready for use on your chosen carrier.
Benefits of Buying a Used or Refurbished T-Mobile Phone
- Save up to 50% or more off retail prices.
- Avoid device payments that tie you to your carrier - you're free to take your paid-off phone anywhere.
- Choose from several highly reliable seller sites that offer things like warranties and free shipping.
- Easily get your phone fixed at local phone repair shops.
- Recycling electronic devices is environmentally responsible.
Refurbished phones are repaired and restored before they're put on the market. Used phones, on the other hand, are sold as-is, typically directly by the owner and at a lower cost than refurbs.
The prepaid revolution continues to grow steadily. In fact, the number of prepaid users is expected to reach almost 94 million by 2019, representing almost a quarter of all mobile service customers.
- T-Mobile MVNO prepaid plans are affordable and flexible.
- Owning your device means you can switch carriers whenever you wish.
- A refurbished phone adds hundreds to your savings.