You may be familiar with Glyde, a secondhand electronics website which used to serve as a platform where you could buy or sell cheap phones and other devices.
Glyde has now transformed itself into a sleek and simple way to buy and sell (or trade in) high-quality used smartphones.
With new flagship devices breaking the $1000 barrier and only small changes from model to model, more and more people are looking for affordable alternatives to the big four carriers to get the best refurbished phone deals. Naturally, companies like Glyde, Swappa, and Decluttr are quickly growing in popularity due to this shift in consumer demand.
So is Glyde the right phone buying and selling platform for you? Keep reading to find out everything you need to know to make your decision.
Buying from Glyde
- Glyde phones undergo 30+ functionality tests plus cosmetic evaluation
- Simple and fast to get a quote on your device
- 14-day money-back guarantee on purchases
- 2-month warranty included
- Optional accidental damage coverage
- Buyback Guarantee offers you locked-in price if you sell back within a year
- Most are unlocked phones, compatible with GSM and CDMA
- Selling/trade-in offers lower than some other sites
- Limited device selection
Here are the basics you'll need to know when deciding whether or not to buy or sell through Glyde:
- Glyde labels their refurbished devices as certified Premium Pre-Owned. They do not sell broken and repaired phones - all devices are guaranteed to have passed rigorous functional and cosmetic testing.
- All Premium Pre-Owned devices come with a 2-month warranty covering device malfunction.
- You can purchase additional coverage for accidental damage, plus extend your malfunction warranty.
- Shipping is free for purchases.
- The returns policy allows you to send back your device within 14 days. Return shipping is free with Glyde as long as you're returning for a malfunction issue. If you simply changed your mind you'll pay return shipping.
- If you need to contact Glyde, customer support is available via email.
- User reviews are mixed, ranging from "impressed with my purchase" to "buyer beware". Many complaints are focused on the customer service.
- Glyde has adopted a system called TessaB, which helps standardize used device grading and allows internal assessment of condition via mobile app.
Buying Refurbished Phones
Technically Glyde sells used devices, not refurbished phones. According to company officials they source their products through trade-ins from carriers, retailers, and OEMs. Glyde does not take broken phones and repair them, and the devices they do accept are put through rigorous testing.
Buying secondhand for your next device upgrade is a great choice for several reasons:
- Save money: Get top-end smartphone models a version or two old for over 50% off retail price.
- Peace of mind: When you buy a phone through a site like Glyde you know it's been tested to make sure it's in good working condition. Many sellers - including Glyde - also offer a warranty for additional reassurance.
- Big bang for the buck: The newest phone models are more than twice as expensive as the last one and rarely have more than a couple of minor changes. Buying used is a great value.
- Take back your freedom: Buying your device outright means no monthly payments and no long-term commitments to pricey plans. Switch to a cheaper carrier any time you wish.
Buying a device from Glyde is pretty straightforward:
- Decide on a phone using our side-by-side spec comparison tool.
- Choose "Shop Apple" or "Shop Samsung" on the Glyde website.
- Make sure the device is compatible with your network and has sufficient storage capacity.
- Click Add to Cart.
- Go to Checkout.
- Provide payment and shipping details as instructed and create a Glyde account if you wish.
If you've chosen the free shipping option you should receive your device in about 3-5 business days.
Selling to Glyde
Why sell your old phone online?
- It's fast and easy.
- You don't have to worry about creating a listing or finding buyers.
- Glyde pays for shipping your used phones to them.
- You can apply your offer to a new device or get your money in cash.
Selling your phone to Glyde is a very simple process.
- Enter your device information to get an instant offer price.
- Agree to their trade-in terms.
- Create an account (or sign into your existing one).
- Follow the instructions to complete your transaction.
- Use the provided shipping label to send your phone off.
- Wait a few days for payment.
It's important to be honest about your phone's condition or else you may face an adjusted offer once Glyde receives the device. If you do get a revised Glyde trade in offer you have a week to accept or reject it.
Glyde also has a Buyback Guarantee, which means they'll give you a guaranteed amount if you sell your phone back to them any time within the first year after purchase. This depends upon the device still being in good working order, of course.
Related: Compare offers to get the most cash for your old phone
Pair Your Refurbished Phone with a Cheap Plan
Once you've saved over 50% off the price of your new device, why not take that phone to a cheaper cell phone plan?
MVNOs - Mobile Virtual Network Operators - are smaller carriers that rent space on the big four wireless networks and sell it to their customers at a lower cost. With lower overhead costs these smaller companies give you a better rate without you sacrificing the same great network you're used to.
Benefits of MVNOs:
- Big savings: Get up to 50% or more off your cell phone plan.
- Custom plans: Choose the plan that fits your needs and budget - not your carrier's.
- No contracts or credit checks: MVNOs don't require commitments or credit checks in order to activate your service.
- Own your freedom: Since you're bringing your own phone (BYOP) you can change carriers any time you want. You typically keep your own phone number too.
- Options: Many MVNOs offer the same kinds of extras the big guys do, like international calling, mobile hotspot use, Wi-Fi hotspots, etc.
Find the best MVNO for your needs and save a bundle.
Recent changes to Glyde mean an even smoother, simpler customer experience. While their offers may not be on the high end as far as trade-in value, they've created a user-friendly interface that makes it fast and easy to buy a refurbished phone and sell your old devices for cash.
Want to see the best deals available on your preferred device? Compare phone prices now!