Senior cell phone deals
Are you looking for the best cell phone for seniors? At MoneySavingPro we can help you find the best deal while saving up to $600 a year, per line.
At a time when all your household costs are increasing, your cell phone bill doesn't need to be one of them. We can help you find the phone you want, on your favorite network, at a much lower cost.
If you've not heard of Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs), you're not alone. They're low-cost carriers that operate on the three major US networks, offering the same 5G & 4G LTE wireless coverage but with plans starting as low as $10 a month.
Buying a phone directly from a major network may look like a good deal initially but after factoring in the cost of their over-priced unlimited data plans over 3 years, you could end up paying as much as $2,000 more than you need to!
We've compiled a list of the latest cell phones for seniors from low-cost carriers, so you can find the best phone deal at the cheapest price without sacrificing your wireless service.
Best iPhones for seniors
The Apple iPhone 13 mini has 128GB storage capacity. It includes a 5.4 inches screen and 12 MP camera. This new iPhone 13 mini is available from Red Pocket with AT&T network coverage and prices starting from $26/mo.
Best Samsung phones for seniors
Cell phones for seniors benefits
Whether you're looking for a basic cell phone or the latest Apple iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, MVNOs help you find the cheapest phones for seniors.
You'll find the same phones as with the big three, as well as plenty of other benefits.
- Save money: Low-cost carriers like Mint Mobile can save you up to $600 per year, per line.
- Latest cell phones: Offering the same phones as the big three, including popular flip phones, but without the three-year contract.
- No long-term commitment: Find a selection of prepaid phone deals from low-cost carriers giving you the freedom of not being tied into a lengthy contract.
- Cheap monthly payments: Many low-cost carriers offer affordable interest-free payment plans on their phones along with cell phone plans starting from only $10 a month.
- Unlimited data plan: There's still the option of unlimited data phone plans, however unlimited doesn't always mean unlimited, so be sure to check the small print.
- 5G compatible: If you want access to the fast 5G network, there are plenty of 5G phones suitable for seniors.
Best T-Mobile phones for seniors
|Samsung Galaxy A03s (T-Mobile)||$9/mo||-||-|
|Samsung Galaxy A13 (T-Mobile)||-||$12/mo||-|
|Samsung Galaxy S20 (T-Mobile)||-||-||$17/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy Note20 (T-Mobile)||-||-||$19/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (T-Mobile)||-||-||$19/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S21 FE (T-Mobile)||-||-||$20/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S21 (T-Mobile)||-||-||$21/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra (T-Mobile)||-||-||$25/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S22 (T-Mobile)||-||-||$29/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S22+ (T-Mobile)||-||-||$33/mo|
Best AT&T phones for seniors
|Apple iPhone SE (AT&T)||$18/mo||$20/mo||$24/mo|
|Apple iPhone 13 mini (AT&T)||-||$26/mo||$30/mo|
|Apple iPhone 13 (AT&T)||-||$30/mo||$35/mo|
|Apple iPhone 12 Pro (AT&T)||-||$33/mo||$37/mo|
|Apple iPhone 14 (AT&T)||-||$35/mo||-|
|Apple iPhone 13 Pro (AT&T)||-||$37/mo||-|
|Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (AT&T)||-||$37/mo||-|
Best Verizon phones for seniors
|Samsung Galaxy A13 (Verizon)||$23/mo||-|
|Apple iPhone SE (Verizon)||$39/mo||-|
|Samsung Galaxy S22 (Verizon)||-||$59/mo|
|Apple iPhone 14 Pro (Verizon)||-||$63/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Verizon)||-||$63/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S21 FE (Verizon)||-||$64/mo|
|Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max (Verizon)||-||$69/mo|
|Apple iPhone 12 (Verizon)||-||$71/mo|
|Apple iPhone 13 (Verizon)||-||$74/mo|
|Samsung Galaxy S22+ (Verizon)||-||$77/mo|
Cheap refurbished phones for seniors
Best refurbished iPhones
The Apple iPhone 7 has 32GB storage capacity. It includes a 4.7 inches screen and 12 MP camera. This refurbished iPhone 7 is available from Back Market with AT&T network coverage and prices starting from $92.
The Apple iPhone XR has 64GB storage capacity. It includes a 6.1 inches screen and 12 MP camera. This refurbished iPhone XR is available from Back Market with AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile network coverage and prices starting from $244.
Best refurbished Samsung phones
The Samsung Galaxy S10 has 128GB storage capacity. It includes a 6.1 inches screen and 16 MP camera. This refurbished Galaxy S10 is available from Back Market with AT&T network coverage and prices starting from $165.
Refurbished phone benefits
As an older and wiser citizen, you know the value of the things you buy and maximize their lifespan.
- Big savings: Pay less than 50% of the retail price for a high-end smartphone that's a model year or two old.
- Easy repairs: Phone repair stores are everywhere nowadays, making it affordable to get a broken screen or other issues fixed in a hurry.
- Major bang for the buck: Changes to brand-new cell phone versions are usually pretty minor. You might get longer battery life or an added feature like a face scan. Spend less on a used phone and you'll get all the staple features you love without the huge price tag.
- Own your phone - and your freedom: Signing up for an installment plan with your carrier means you're just as committed as you used to be with a contract. Owning your phone outright allows you to switch carriers any time you want.
Considerations when comparing cell phones
In addition to factors like ease of use, screen size, and included features, there are a few other things that can help seniors make the best decision on their device purchase:
- Warranty: There's nothing better than the peace of mind that your purchase is protected. Reputable sellers offer that protection in the form of a warranty ranging from 30 days with Gazelle, to a full year with Decluttr.
- Return period: Another safety net is the ability to return your phone if something's wrong. Return policies vary among used phone sellers, so make sure you understand the terms of purchase.
- Compatibility: There are two types of phone networks. You'll need a GSM phone for the AT&T network or T-Mobile network, while Verizon and the Sprint network use CDMA phones. Check with your carrier to make sure your device will work on their network.
- Certified pre-owned: A certified phone has been thoroughly tested and inspected to make sure it's in top working condition.
- Timing: If you want one of the more expensive flagship phones like a Samsung Galaxy or Apple iPhone - buy when the next model year comes out. Prices are cheaper around that time.
- Payment options: Some sellers offer installment plans on used phones. Watch the interest rates if you must go with this option.
Best cell phone plans for seniors
|Tello 1GB plan||1GB||T-Mobile||$10/mo|
|Mint Mobile 4GB plan||4GB||T-Mobile||$15/mo|
|Lycamobile 12GB plan||12GB||T-Mobile||$5/mo** Only $5 for First 3 Months|
|US Mobile 15GB plan||15GB||Verizon & T-Mobile||$20/mo* FREE 10-Day Trial|
|Mint Mobile Unlimited plan||Unltd||T-Mobile||$30/mo|
T-Mobile vs Mint Mobile comparison
Keep your T-Mobile phone, number & coverage: Save $660 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G/5G Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|T-Mobile||T-Mobile 4G & 5G||Unltd*||$70/mo||$840/yr|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile 4G & 5G||4GB||$15/mo||$180/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$55/mo||$660/yr|
Switch to a cheaper cell phone plan
According to the National Council on Aging, over 25 million seniors face economic difficulties. If you're one of the many older Americans on a tight budget there are things you can do to ease the burden of your wireless bill.
There's no more effective way to save money on your cell phone plan than switching to an MVNO.
What is an MVNO? These smaller carriers, Mobile Virtual Network Operators, rent space on one or more of the big three networks and sell it to you at a discount. MVNOs have lower operating costs than the major carriers and they pass that savings on to you.
Cheap carrier benefits
- Cheaper prices
- Custom plans
- No-contract plans
- Great customer service
- Bring your own phone and keep your number
There are even carriers that are geared toward senior citizens with things like discounts for AARP members, such as Consumer Cellular and Twigby. These mobile providers offer plans with everything from just a little talk and text to plenty of high-speed internet data.
Cell phones for seniors FAQs
What is the easiest cell phone for seniors?
The Lively Flip or Smartphone - previously Jitterbug, is great for seniors and also includes services like Urgent Response and Urgent Care. Cell phones for the more tech-savvy, like the Samsung Galaxy A series and Apple iPhone SE are great options.
What cell phone does AARP recommend for seniors?
For AARP members, there are various discounts available and some of their top recommendations are Lively (now Lively) which offers a smartphone or a flip phone with Urgent Response features, and Consumer Cellular which offers Doro handsets which are basic and easy to use.
Is iPhone or Samsung better for elderly?
It depends on the individual. Price wise you can get a budget version at a similar cost for both, however, Samsung and Apple use different operating systems, so ease of use for the Android or iOS system will depend on the individual.
Whether looking for the latest iPhone or a cheap cell phone, MVNOs can save you hundreds of dollars a year.
Low-cost carriers, like Red Pocket Mobile or Visible, offer phones with cheap plans, often with interest-free payments over 12-24 months.
Although the major networks offer to finance over 36 months, being tied into their over-priced unlimited data plans for 3 years could mean wasting as much as $2,000!
Compare deals from low-cost carriers to find the best cell phones for seniors at the cheapest price.