Home phones aren't just a thing of the past.
Although some people may think they're obsolete home phones can offer you many benefits such as a reliable connection when your cell service is spotty, access to home security that utilizes home phones, an excuse to hold off on that cell phone purchase for your young children, and an extra line in case of emergency
The best thing about home phones is that you can bundle your service with TV and internet for practically nothing.
But which provider is the best and which will give you the best deal? Read on to find out MoneySavingPro's recommendation for home phone service providers.
The Best Phone Service Providers
Best Phone Provider: AT&T
AT&T U-verse offers a wide variety of options when you bundle with TV and internet.
With this plan, you make/receive calls using your AT&T high-speed internet connection. They offer 25 other amazing perks such as:
- Locate me feature
- Do not disturb
- Voicemail call forwarding
- Remote voicemail access
Best Phone Bundle: XFINITY
XFINITY Voice gives you home phone but on-the-go when you download the XFINITY Connect app. The app gives you access to your home phone even when you aren't at home.
When you bundle XFINITY Voice and TV you get access to all your entertainment on the go and in the home. Bundling will allow you to:
- See Caller ID alerts on your TV screen
- Access your voicemail on your TV
- Send/view photos on your TV
Best Landline Alternative: Vonage
Vonage is a VoIP phone service that uses your internet connection to make/receive calls. With this service you get:
- Call forwarding to your mobile device
- Voicemail that can be delivered to both your phone and email
- Free calling to the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada
Key Considerations When Choosing a Home Phone
Before you commit to any home phone provider there are a few things you should know:
- Availability - What phone services are offered in your area?
- Perks - Are you looking for features like international calling or long-distance? Make sure the provider you choose includes those.
- Price - Check with your current internet and cable provider(s) to see if there's a bundling option that could save you money.
- Contracts - Check with your provider to make sure there aren't extra fees.
Of course, a landline isn't your only option to stay in touch with the outside world. You can also check out these viable options:
- VoIP - VoIP allows you to use a broadband internet connection to make/receive calls. You've probably heard of some major VoIP services such as Skype or Vonage.
- Cellphones - Cell phone plans give you an added sense of convenience and you can use them at home and on-the-go.
Whatever you choose, be sure that you have a strong connection in your area. After all, that is the main benefit of having a landline.
There are a lot of ways to save money when it comes to your home phone including:
- Bundle your services - Bundle your home phone, TV, and internet and you'll often receive package discounts.
- Check for promos - Providers oftentimes offer promo deals when you sign up so be sure to search for promo options before you commit.
- Use free VoIP Services - You can save money by using a free service such as Skype. Just be sure you have a compatible device first.
Like we said, bundling your home phone, TV, and internet will give you the best price on your home phone service.
Be sure to use our availability checker to find landline phone service by zip code.