Progressive Home Insurance
Progressive is a 76-year-old company with an excellent financial status. The company is best known for providing auto insurance, but it also offers a range of other insurances including home insurance. They, like many other top insurers, offer discounts if you buy multiple policies. In and of itself this isn't too impressive, but since the company offers so many different kinds of insurance you are likely to find the one you are looking for. They even have insurance for specific types of residences like condo and renters insurance.
Progressive's website is full of information on home insurance and all of their other types of policies. They take the information down to a basic level in order to explain all facets of home insurance plainly and effectively, as opposed to confusing viewers with insider terminology.
While some consumer reviews showed disappointment at poor customer service, many customers were satisfied with the Progressive's help services. Reviewers also seemed to like the rates and discounts that were made available to them even though some of them experienced raised rates when it was time to renew.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Very user-friendly website, loaded with useful information, making it easy for customers to have a handle on their policies and to know what they have coverage on. Some companies like to confuse their customers with industry-specific jargon and technical terms; Progressive does not. They offer very affordable home insurance coverage; users are typically very pleased with the coverage from their rates. Standard home insurance from Progressive offers excellent protection in all the most common, necessary areas, including liability, personal property, coverage for the dwelling, medical payments in the event someone is injured in your home, and loss of use coverage. A wide range of additional coverages can be added onto your policy for further protection.
Known primarily for their auto insurance, Progressive home insurance is not nearly as "progressive" and innovative as the coverage they offer on vehicles.Flood insurance, earthquakes, windstorm damages (most often in coastal states) war, and nuclear accidents are not covered on home insurance policies from Progressive. Progressive can be slow to handle and process claims, and it can be unnecessarily time consuming.
Prices and Fees
Costs for home insurance with Progressive are fairly average. They do not offer as many discounts as other companies, however they do offer the option to save with discounts for those with multiple policies.
Customer service with Progressive is accessible 24-hours every day, and they are great at handling all situations with attentiveness and ease. The FAQ located on Progressive's website is excellent, offering customers an additional method of getting answers for questions they may run into. Online chat is offered, however there are limited times it can be accessed.
Tools and Apps
- Progressive offers an easy-to-use online quote tool.
- A mobile app is offered for easy usage and overtly convenient access to your account.
- Progressive's website is very easy to use, and managing your account and policy information from it is quite simple.
Home Insurance from Progressive Includes
- Dwelling Coverage: This covers the cost of damage or destruction that occurs to your home, as well as any pertaining unattached structures, including garages, sheds, and fences.
- Personal Property Coverage: This takes care of your property, and it includes your house, your furniture, clothing and even the appliances within it. Coverage extends to circumstances such as theft, damage, or destruction.
- Liability: If you are sued and determined to be legally responsible for the injury of someone else, or the damage of their property, liability coverage will take care of the financial loss that comes as a result.
- Medical: This protects you from having to pay the medical bills in the event someone gets hurt on your property. Medical Payments coverage also takes care of certain injuries that may occur outside of your home, for instance, if your dog were to bite someone.
- Loss of Use Coverage: This will pay for additional living expenses that may incur if your home becomes so damaged that it is unlivable during repairs. Standard coverage takes care of 10 - 20% of the insurance on your dwelling.
In this category, Progressive is lacking compared to their competitors in the home insurance market. They do not offer discounts for new homeowners, recently renovated homes, nor for having a claim-free record for a certain number of years. Similar to most other providers in this category, Progressive does offer discounts for multiple policies, in addition to a discount for having a security system, and for owning a home less than 10 years old. Unlike other companies however, because they have so many different types of insurance for specific circumstances, there's a good likelihood that you will be able to find something that fits your needs.
What to Consider
The coverage is excellent, the prices are good, and the name is known for having great insurance at a decent price. While the discounts are not at the same level as what other companies offer, they are not void altogether in offering ways to save. The bottom line is that their minor negatives are greatly outnumbered by the many positives; you will get great coverage and a great rate with Progressive.
Verdict - Very Good
Progressive is a major insurance company, operating in various coverage segments, so home insurance is not its only area of operation. Unfortunately, some of their most innovative ideas are in the realm of auto insurance, like the handy "Snapshot" device. However, the home insurance policy that Progressive provides is integral to the short list of very good home insurance products available in the market. It is definitely worth looking into if only to see if you can benefit from the attractive bundle discounts. Basically, you get a lower premium if you buy another coverage product, say, car insurance with the company. Progressive has a few negatives, but in my view, these shortcomings are outweighed by the company's many positives.
Progressive brings an instantly recognizable name to the forefront of homeowners insurance. They offer great coverage, backed by a fully established, fully capable institution. While they may not offer all the benefits and versatility a lot of other big names in the industry, coverage from Progressive is always good. Some discounts are offered, the customer service is great, and they are a name that can be trusted fully with your investment.