MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
Need internet access on the go without the hassle of public Wi-Fi? A mobile hotspot is your solution.
This nifty device allows you to connect multiple devices, like laptops and tablets, to a secure wireless network. You can use your cell phone as a hotspot, or you'll also find dedicated mobile hotspot devices.
It's perfect for when there's no other option available as they work anywhere with cellular coverage so it makes them great companions during business trips or long commutes.
In this guide, we'll cover everything you need to know about a mobile hotspot.
How do mobile hotspots work?
If you need to stay connected while on the go, then a mobile hotspot may be just what you need.
Mobile hotspots create a Wi-Fi network with your existing mobile data plan, allowing multiple users to access it at once. It's really like having home internet in your pocket - perfect for those moments when traditional connections are unavailable or inconvenient.
It enables you to access the internet on multiple devices simultaneously, such as laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
There's plenty of options for mobile hotspots available, including portable hotspots that fit in your pocket or the most popular being the built-in hotspot that comes with your smartphone.
With so many choices available, make sure you decide which one best suits your needs before taking the plunge.
So, whether you're working from home, traveling, or just need a reliable internet connection on the go, a mobile hotspot can be a convenient and cost-effective solution.
Using a personal hotspot
Using your personal hotspot will use your data allowance, so if you plan to use a hotspot, you'll want to think about this when choosing a cell phone plan.
Some low-cost carriers offer a specific data allowance for hotspot usage, whereas others will just take it from your main data limit.
If you choose an unlimited data plan this doesn't always mean unlimited. And it certainly doesn't mean unlimited hotspot use. Often there's a data cap that once reached speeds will be slowed.
Why use a mobile hotspot?
There are many reasons you might want to consider using a mobile hotspot.
- Flexibility: Mobile hotspots offer greater flexibility and convenience so you can work anywhere with cellular coverage. This means you can work from a park, a coffee shop, or even from your car.
- Data speed: If you're in an area with 5G data speeds, you may get faster speeds than with public Wi-Fi, which can be slow and insecure. With a mobile hotspot, you have your own private network that you can use to access the internet without worrying about the security risks associated with public Wi-Fi.
How to choose a mobile hotspot?
There are many different mobile hotspot data plan options available and choosing the right mobile hotspot plan comes down to a number of factors.
- Coverage: Checking network coverage in your area or where you may be using your mobile hotspot is important. Without cell coverage, your Wi-Fi hotspot won't provide the internet speeds that you need. You can easily check cell coverage with your ZIP code.
- Data allowance: Consider your data usage needs. Some MVNOs offer unlimited data plans, while others have set data allowances. If you choose an unlimited plan, make sure to check the small print first as not all unlimited plans are truly unlimited. Choosing a plan that fits your usage patterns and budget can help you save money in the long run.
- Mobile hotspot device: Decide whether you want a separate device or to use your cell phone.
Does every phone have a hotspot?
Most cell phones will have a built-in hotspot if it connects to Wi-Fi.
To check if your phone has hotspot capabilities you can go to Settings > Network & Internet > and look for Hotspot & Tethering.
How do I connect my Wi-Fi hotspot?
To tether a device to your mobile hotspot you need to go to your phone's settings and then follow the below steps:
- Click Hotspot and Tethering
- Choose Wi-Fi Hotspot and toggle to the on position
- You may be able to connect your device immediately or have to create a password
Once you've finished don't forget to disconnect or turn off your wireless connection to prevent wasting data.
How to maximize your mobile hotspot
Once you've selected your mobile hotspot, there are some things you can do to get the most out of it.
- Monitor your data usage regularly to avoid overage charges. Many mobile hotspots come with a built-in data tracker that can help you keep track of your usage.
- Try to limit activities that use a lot of data, such as streaming video or downloading large files. These activities can quickly eat up your data allowance and slow down your connection.
- Place your mobile hotspot in an area with good cellular coverage to ensure the best possible connection speeds. If you're in a weak coverage area, consider using an external antenna or a signal booster to improve signal strength.
- Consider investing in a portable battery pack to keep your mobile hotspot charged while on the go. This will ensure that you always have a reliable internet when you need it.
Using your mobile hotspot for your home internet
Thanks to the 5G network there are more high-speed cellular internet options available for your home. These can come in handy in rural areas, where other internet options are not readily available.
However, there are a few things you should think about before using your mobile hotspot connection as your home internet.
- Using your mobile hotspot as your primary source to stay connected at home could lead to increased data usage on your mobile plan. Depending on your plan, this could result in additional charges or slower speeds if you exceed your plan's data limit.
- Mobile hotspots may not provide the same level of speed and reliability as a traditional internet service provider. This can be particularly noticeable if you are streaming videos or engaging in other high-bandwidth activities with your cellular data.
If you decide to use your mobile hotspot as your primary source of internet, it's important to monitor your data usage carefully and ensure that you have a plan that can support your needs.
What are the best mobile hotspot plans?
MVNOs offer a range of mobile hotspot plans that give you access to the same major networks you're used to, but at half the price.
When comparing mobile hotspot plans be aware that unlimited doesn't always mean unlimited. And when it comes to hotspot use there will normally be a data cap.
Mobile hotspots are not ideal for high internet use as they can eat away at your data allowance especially if you stream videos and games online.
A mobile hotspot is a flexible, convenient, and cost-effective solution for internet connectivity that can connect multiple devices to your Wi-Fi hotspot when you don't have access to Wi-Fi.
Whether you're a remote worker, a student, or a traveler, a mobile hotspot can provide you with a reliable and secure internet connection on the go when you don't have a Wi-Fi signal.
When choosing a mobile hotspot, it's important to consider factors such as coverage, data allowance, and device compatibility.