The best family cell phone plans in October
Family phone plan benefits
- Same nationwide coverage: MVNOs run on the three major networks. That means that carriers like Mint Mobile and Tello give you the same nationwide coverage and 4G LTE data you're used to.
- Much lower prices: Most smaller carriers operate solely online. This allows them to give you better rates without sacrificing your favorite network.
- Same great phone service: Don't give up your mobile essentials just to stay on budget. Low cost plans include all the most popular feature options. Compare cheap family plans with unlimited talk text and data, or choose one with mobile hotspot use.
- No contracts: Most MVNOs only sell no contract cell phone plans. You won't have to make any commitments. Switch carriers at any time if you find a better deal.
- Bring your own phones: Not ready to commit to $30 a month in device payments for each family member? No problem. Compare BYOP plans and keep your phones and your phone numbers.
- Customize your plans: One of the best things about smaller carriers is that you can mix and match plans to fit each person. Get unlimited data plans for the heavy users and basic phone plans for everyone else.
- Great customer service: Stop being an anonymous number in the hordes of customers. Low cost carriers are known for providing high quality customer support. Read our carrier user reviews to help you pick a provider.
Best AT&T family plans
|AT&T||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
Pure Talk multi-line plans
|Pure Talk||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
Best cheap AT&T family plans alternative carriers: Red Pocket, Pure Talk, and Good2Go Mobile.
Best T-Mobile family plans
|T-Mobile||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
Mint Mobile multi-line plans
|Mint Mobile||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
Best cheap T-Mobile family plans alternative carriers: Mint Mobile, Tello, and Boost Mobile.
Best Verizon family plans
|Verizon||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
|Play More Unlimited||$80||$140$70/line||$165$55/line||$180$45/line|
|Do More Unlimited||$80||$140$70/line||$165$55/line||$180$45/line|
|Get More Unlimited||$90||$160$80/line||$195$65/line||$220$55/line|
Reach Mobile multi-line plan pricing
|Reach Mobile||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
Best cheap Verizon family plans alternative carriers: US Mobile, Reach Mobile, and Ting.
Family phone plan features
- 4G LTE and 5G data speeds: Get the same nationwide 4G LTE coverage as your chosen network. Plus most smaller carriers include 5G coverage at no extra cost.
- Unlimited talk and text messaging: No need to sacrifice your must have features. Most smaller carriers give you unlimited calling and texting. You then add the necessary data amounts for each person.
- International calls to Canada and Mexico: Need international calling? Compare the best international phone plans. You can find free international texting and talk to places like Canada and Mexico. Plus you'll get great rates to other countries.
- Multiline discounts: Smaller carriers offer the cheapest family cell phone plans. Manage multiple lines on your account from one place.
- Wi-Fi calling: Make calls over the internet when you're out of cellular range.
- Tethering/hotspot data: Pick an MVNO with the best mobile hotspot plans. Carriers like Mint Mobile let you share your phone data. Others, such as US Mobile, also sell separate hotspot data.
- HD video streaming: Get HD video streaming with subcarriers like Boost Mobile.
Compare cheap family cell phone plans
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||4GB||$15** $45 for 3 Months Service|
|Twigby||Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||5GB||$12.50** 50% Off for 6 Months|
|Ting||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||Unltd||$25** $20 Off for 3 Months|
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||30GB||$30Free Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM|
Carrier coverage comparison
Carrier customer service comparison
How to switch to a cheaper family phone plan
It's never been easier to switch. Let's break it down.
- Customize your plans. Choose a carrier with options to fit everyone in your family.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure your old bills are paid up and your phones are unlocked. If you're getting new devices it's easy to transfer everything from the old ones to the new ones. Even if you're going from an iPhone to Android, and vice versa.
- Set up your new plans. Keep everyone's accounts open until your phone numbers are ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old account. If you bought cell phones with your family plan they should be ready to go when they arrive. If you're bringing your own phones then you'll need to follow the instructions that come with the new SIM card kits.
Cheap cell phone companies list
Family phone plans FAQs
What's the most affordable cell phone plan for families?
MVNOs have affordable family plans for any budget. With already low prices, most low cost carriers also offer a discount for each additional line added.
Who has the best prepaid family plan?
Tello is one of the most popular prepaid family phone plans, with Mint Mobile offering a great unlimited option.
Is it cheaper to be on a family phone plan?
If you're looking for more than one line, getting a multi line or family plan can save you money. Most low cost carriers offer multi line discounts so the more lines you add the more you can save. Which is much cheaper than purchasing 2 or more individual lines.
With MVNOs already low prices, getting a family plan with multi-line discounts from these low cost carriers is a no-brainer.
Saving you up to $600 per year per line, and with no contracts you can amend your plan if you or any other family member's cell phone needs change or cancel without the worry of an early termination fee.
With many of the carriers offering customizable options to suit individual needs, there's something for everyone.
|Tello||Best cheap plan||Unlimited||Unlimited||1GB||$10/mo|
|Mint Mobile||Best unlimited plan||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||$30/mo|
|US Mobile||Best prepaid plan||Unlimited||Unlimited||5GB||$15/mo|
|Ultra Mobile||Best 5G plan||Unlimited||Unlimited||2GB||$14/mo|
|Twigby||Best 2 line plan||Unlimited||Unlimited||3GB||$20/mo|
|Good2Go Mobile||Best 5 line plan||Unlimited||Unlimited||3GB||$20/mo|
|Red Pocket||Best 4 line plan||500||500||0.5GB||$10/mo|Rob Webber
Rob has 15+ years experience in the US and UK running price comparison sites for cell phone plans, smartphone deals, TV, and internet. He loves thinking outside of the box to build tools that empower consumers to make more informed decisions.