The best cheap MiFi internet plans in October
Cheap MiFi data plan benefits
Want to stay on your favorite wireless network plus save money on your data only plan?
You've got it. Forget the major carriers. Plans offer the same benefits but come at a much better price with an MVNO.
- Nationwide coverage: Alternative cell phone carriers run on the very same networks as the three major carriers. Same speeds, coverage and quality.
- High speed data: Cheaper doesn't mean slower. Your data only devices will get the same 4G LTE data as always. Smaller providers also typically give you 5G hotspot speeds where available, at no extra cost.
- Much lower prices: MVNOs are cheaper because they don't have the huge marketing costs the big guys do. Most of them operate solely online, which means no overhead for brick and mortar stores.
- No contracts: Smaller carriers sell no contract phone plans. There are no commitments regardless of whether you're getting minutes and texts or just need prepaid mobile hotspot data.
- Bring your own device: Already have a Wi-Fi mobile hotspot? No problem - you can bring your own device.
- Custom plans: Choose 1GB or 20GB of high speed data per month. You can even get a cheap unlimited data only plan. You're in control of your plan and your budget.
- Great customer support: Another benefit of MVNOs is that their customer service rates higher than the major carriers. Read our carrier user reviews to get feedback from real customers.
Compare the cheapest MiFi data plans
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||0||0||4GB||$15** $45 for 3 Months Service|
|Ultra Mobile||T-Mobile||0||0||6GB||$23** 20% Off with code: MSP20|
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile||0||0||15GB||$26Free Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||0||0||Unltd||$30** $90 for 3 months Service|
Carrier coverage comparison
Which prepaid mobile hotspot plan is best for you? That depends on which network has the best coverage in your area.
Network performance ratings
Best prepaid MiFi carriers by network
- Best cheap AT&T MiFi data plan: Red Pocket.
- Best cheap Verizon MiFi data plan: US Mobile.
- Best cheap T-Mobile MiFi data plan: Tello.
Carrier customer service comparison
Customer service is an important part of your experience. Fortunately MVNOs score much higher customer ratings on average as you can see in the comparison chart below:
|CARRIER||TRUSTPILOT USER RATING|
|Red Pocket Mobile||4.5|
MiFi vs tethering
You may be wondering why you'd want a whole separate device when most modern smartphones have a mobile hotspot feature. The two do have a couple noteworthy differences.
- Features a freestanding device that usually runs on your choice of battery or power cord
- Requires its own data only SIM card
- Has its own monthly plan with dedicated data allotment
- May use your phone plan's data
- Can be hard on your phone's battery life
- Avoids the need to carry a separate device with you
How to switch to a cheaper MiFi plan
Switching mobile hotspot plans is simpler than ever. Just follow these easy steps.
- Pick a plan. Whether you want strong 5G hotspot coverage or need an unlimited data plan there's something to fit everyone. Check out our data usage calculator if you're not sure how much you need.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure your current bill is paid off and that your MiFi is unlocked for use with another carrier.
- Set up your new plan. If you're going to bring your own device you'll get a data only SIM card in the mail or at a store. Just pop it into your Wi-Fi device and follow the carrier's instructions to activate your plan.
Considerations when comparing MiFi plans
You'll want to take a few things into consideration aside from pricing when choosing a mobile hotspot plan. This helps ensure that you get the best experience possible out of both your equipment and service.
- Coverage: All three major networks have extensive nationwide coverage. Still, each one features better signal strength is certain areas. You'll want to check out each network's coverage map before picking a carrier. Be sure to check any areas you travel to as well since the whole point of MiFi is to have internet on the go.
- Speeds: It's safe to say most of the time your Wi-Fi hotspot will get 4G LTE data. The best MVNO plans include 5G network coverage at no extra charge. That means you'll get 5G hotspot speeds where currently available. Keep in mind you do need a 5G MiFi or other 5G data only device in order to get those speeds.
- Data allowance: With a smaller carrier you can easily avoid overpaying for data you won't use. Their plans offer data tiers to fit virtually anyone's needs. If you choose an unlimited plan you'll want to read the fine print. Even unlimited data only plans typically include a high speed data cap. Once you reach it your internet service may be slowed to 2G or 3G speeds.
- Plan and device compatibility: Some plans are designed for smartphones rather than mobile hotspot use. You can check hotspot compatibility with your chosen carrier the same way you check phone compatibility. This is usually done by entering the IMEI (your device's identifying number) into the provider's website.
MiFi plans FAQs
Who has the best MiFi service?
Who has the best unlimited hotspot plan?
Unlimited doesn't always mean unlimited. Most plans will offer a set data limit and after that you won't be charged, but data speeds will be significantly lowered. If you really want an unlimited data plan low cost carriers offer unlimited data plans starting from around $39.
Is MiFi better than mobile hotspot?
MiFi runs on a mobile phone network to create a wireless connection to a device like a tablet or laptop. Some MiFi devices can increase performance, but essentially there's not much difference.
Now that data only plans are cheaper than ever there's no need to stick with the major carriers.
Choose from a wide variety of mobile hotspot plans that run on the AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon networks.
Switching is easy and you can bring your own MiFi device to your new carrier. Compare data only plans to find the best fit for your data usage and budget.
Even better, save money on all your wireless needs by getting your cell phone plan from a cheaper carrier too.