The best cheap prepaid hotspot plans in October
Cheap prepaid hotspot plan benefits
Want to stay on the same network, keep your phone and number, plus get greater flexibility?
Yep. You've got it. Forget the major carriers. Plans include everything you need, but come at a much better price with an MVNO.
- Nationwide coverage: These cell phone carriers operate on the very same networks as the big four carriers.
- High-speed data: Just because you're paying less, that doesn't mean you'll get lower speeds.
- Much lower prices: Why are MVNOs so much cheaper? They don't have the huge overhead and advertising costs the big guys do.
- No contracts: Don't get trapped into a two-year agreement. Switch carriers when you decide to with a no contract phone plan.
- Bring your own device: You can bring your own device. No need to sign up for pricey device payments.
- Customize your plan: You decide how much data you need. Pick the plan options that fit your budget - not the one your carrier thinks you need.
- Great customer support: Smaller mobile providers are known for their attention to their customers. Stop feeling like an anonymous number getting lost in the crowd! Check out our carrier user reviews before switching.
Best cheap T-Mobile prepaid hotspot plan
Compare the best cheap T-Mobile hotspot plans
Best cheap Verizon prepaid hotspot plan
Compare the best cheap Verizon hotspot plans
Best cheap AT&T prepaid hotspot plan
Compare the best cheap AT&T hotspot plans
Compare cheap prepaid hotspot plans
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||0||0||4GB||$15** $45 for 3 Months Service|
|Ultra Mobile||T-Mobile||0||0||6GB||$23** 20% Off with code: MSP20|
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile||0||0||15GB||$26Free Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||0||0||Unltd||$30** $90 for 3 months Service|
Carrier coverage comparison
Which prepaid carrier is best for you? That depends on which network has the best coverage in your area.
Network performance ratings
Carrier customer service comparison
Concerned that low-cost carriers won't have good customer service? Don't be, on average MVNOs score much higher customer ratings than the big networks as you'll see in the comparison chart below:
|CARRIER||TRUSTPILOT USER RATING|
|Red Pocket Mobile||4.5|
Considerations when comparing prepaid data plans
The best way to be happy with your data plan in the long run is to make sure all your bases are covered.
- Network coverage: All three major networks have extensive nationwide 4G LTE coverage. Still, you'll want to check out coverage maps to be sure the carrier you choose has the strongest service. There are some variations in 5G network coverage too, so you'll want to consider if that's a major factor for you.
- Data speeds: You'll enjoy 4G LTE data speeds most of the time, regardless of network. Many smaller carrier plans include 5G at no extra cost, where available of course. In order to get 5G hotspot speeds you will need a 5G compatible device.
- Data allowance: There's a plan to fit virtually everyone's needs. If you do need a truly unlimited data only plan bear in mind there's still usually a data cap. Once you reach this amount your internet connection will be throttled to 2G or 3G speeds. Be sure to read the fine print so you know how much high speed data you actually get.
- Device compatibility: When you bring your own device to a new carrier you want to make sure it will work on the network. You can check MiFi and other compatible devices the same way you would with your smartphone. Generally that means entering the IMEI number into the carrier's website to be sure it'll work with your new plan.
How to switch to a cheaper prepaid hotspot plan
It's never been easier to switch. Let's break it down.
- Customize your plan. Whether you're looking for a truly unlimited plan, or in the market for something more basic, choose a plan to suit your cell phone needs.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure your old bills are paid up and your phone is unlocked. If you're getting a new device, transferring data from one to another is simple. Even if you're going from an iPhone to Android, and vice versa.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old account. If you've got a new device with your Tello plan, it should be ready to use when it arrives. If you're bringing your own phone then you'll need to follow the instructions with the new SIM card kit that Tello will send to you in the post.
Prepaid hotspot plans FAQs
Who has the best prepaid mobile hotspot?
Are there any unlimited hotspot plans?
Yes you can get unlimited hotspot plans, however unlimited never really means unlimited. Most plans provide a set data limit and once that limit is reached your data speeds will be significantly reduced.
Can I buy a prepaid hotspot?
Yes, MVNOs provide prepaid data only plans for hotspots.
With a range of data only plans from 1GB to unlimited there's something for everyone.
MVNOs provide the same nationwide coverage by operating on the big three networks while saving you money on your cell phone bill. With prepaid hotspot plans you'll have the flexibility to make any changes without the worry of additional fees.
Low cost carriers like US Mobile make it easy for you to bring your own device with a quick and easy switch over.
With prepaid plans there's no lengthy contract, so you can choose to amend or cancel your plan if your needs change.