Are you looking for an unlimited data plan for your mobile hotspot? At MoneySavingPro we're here to help you find the best and cheapest deal.
That's why we love Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs for short). If you've not heard of these low cost carriers, you're not alone, but they're fast becoming the most popular way to get a good value deal on your cell phone plan.
Unlimited data doesn't have to come with an expensive price tag and we've compared some of the best deals with pros and cons to help you find the best plan for you.
This Mint Mobile data only plan includes unlimited data for only $30 per month. Mint Mobile internet plans offer wireless coverage on the T-Mobile 5G and 4G LTE network. To learn more about why this is one of the best cell phone plans, check out MoneySavingPro's Mint Mobile review
Offers the latest phones with 0% finance
Prepay months in bulk for more savings
Reliable network coverage
Works with most GSM phones
No family plans
Minimum 3 months
Operates on the nationwide T-Mobile network
7-day money-back guarantee
Prepaid - no contract, credit check, or activation fee
Bring your phone or buy a Mint Mobile device
Keep your phone number
Using your phone as a mobile hotspot is permitted
Free calling to Canada & Mexico, affordable rates to 160+ other locations
Flat-rate international roaming available as an add-on feature
Customer service by phone on weekdays and weekends, 24/7 by virtual chat
This Red Pocket data only plan includes 20GB data for only $40 per month. Red Pocket internet plans offer wireless coverage on the AT&T 5G and 4G LTE network. To learn more about why this is one of the best cell phone plans, check out MoneySavingPro's Red Pocket review
Red Pocket 500MB
Red Pocket 3GB - 12 Mths
$15** $180 for 12 Months Service
Red Pocket 10GB - 12 Mths
$22.50** $270 for 12 Months Service
Red Pocket 25GB - 12 Mths
$30** $360 for 12 Months Service
Red Pocket 100GB - 12 Mths
$37.50** $450 for 12 Months Service
Latest selection of phones
Account dashboard needs work
No 0% financing options on latest phones
Operates on all four networks - AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon
Prepaid cell phone plans - no contract, credit check, or activation fees
Bring your own GSM or CDMA device and keep your phone number
Mobile hotspot/tethering allowed with your plan data
Free international calling to 70+ countries
Customer service available in English, Chinese, Filipino, and Spanish via chat or phone
Cheapest unlimited mobile hotspot plans
Unlimited hotspot plan benefits
- Nationwide coverage: These cell phone carriers operate on the very same networks as the big four carriers.
- High-speed data: Just because you're paying less, that doesn't mean you'll get lower speeds.
- Much lower prices: Why are MVNOs so much cheaper? They don't have the huge overhead and advertising costs the big guys do.
- No contracts: Don't get trapped into a two-year agreement. Switch carriers when you decide to with a no contract phone plan.
- Bring your own device: You can bring your own device. No need to sign up for pricey device payments.
- Customize your plan: You decide how much data you need. Pick the plan options that fit your budget - not the one your carrier thinks you need.
- Great customer support: Smaller mobile providers are known for their attention to their customers. Stop feeling like an anonymous number getting lost in the crowd! Check out our carrier user reviews before switching.
Best cheap unlimited hotspot plan on T-Mobile
Compare: T-Mobile unlimited hotspot plans
Best cheap unlimited hotspot plan on Verizon
Compare: Verizon unlimited hotspot plans
Best cheap unlimited hotspot plan on AT&T
Compare: AT&T unlimited hotspot plans
Cheapest mobile hotspot plans
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile||2GB||$10Free Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||4GB||$15** Buy 3 Months Get 1 Free|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||15GB||$25** Buy 3 Months Get 1 Free|
Carrier network coverage
Carrier customer service
|CARRIER||TRUSTPILOT USER RATING|
|Red Pocket Mobile||4.5|
Comparing unlimited hotspot data plans
The best way to be happy with your data plan in the long run is to make sure all your bases are covered.
- Network coverage: All three major networks have extensive nationwide 4G LTE coverage. Still, you'll want to check out coverage maps to be sure the carrier you choose has the strongest service. There are some variations in 5G network coverage too, so you'll want to consider if that's a major factor for you.
- Data speeds: You'll enjoy 4G LTE data speeds most of the time, regardless of network. Many smaller carrier plans include 5G at no extra cost, where available of course. In order to get 5G hotspot speeds you will need a 5G compatible device.
- Data allowance: There's a plan to fit virtually everyone's needs. If you do need a truly unlimited data only plan bear in mind there's still usually a data cap. Once you reach this amount your internet connection will be throttled to 2G or 3G speeds. Be sure to read the fine print so you know how much high speed data you actually get.
- Device compatibility: When you bring your own device to a new carrier you want to make sure it will work on the network. You can check MiFi and other compatible devices the same way you would with your smartphone. Generally that means entering the IMEI number into the carrier's website to be sure it'll work with your new plan.
Switch to a cheap unlimited hotspot plan
It's never been easier to switch. Let's break it down.
- Customize your plan. Whether you're looking for a truly unlimited plan, or in the market for something more basic, choose a plan to suit your cell phone needs.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure your old bills are paid up and your phone is unlocked. If you're getting a new device, transferring data from one to another is simple. Even if you're going from an iPhone to Android, and vice versa.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old account. If you've got a new device with your Tello plan, it should be ready to use when it arrives. If you're bringing your own phone then you'll need to follow the instructions with the new SIM card kit that Tello will send to you in the post.
Unlimited hotspot plans FAQs
Who has the best unlimited hotspot plan?
Depending on your needs you'll find the best value hotspot plans with unlimited data from MVNOS - Mobile Virtual Network Operators. Operating on the main US telecoms network carriers like US Mobile and Tello offer unlimited data at half the price.
Which carrier has the cheapest hotspot data plan?
The best is personal to what your hotspot needs are, but you'll find the best value with low cost carriers like Tello.
Mobile Virtual Network Operators can help you save hundreds of dollars on your data only plan.
But do you really need unlimited data? If you can't do without unlimited data, MVNOs like Red Pocket Mobile provide a great option. But unlimited never really means unlimited. Often with a data cap that once reached your speeds are slowed considerably.
You can estimate your average monthly data use using our free tool, to see if you could save money on a set data only plan.
MVNOs make the switch over easy when you bring your own mobile hotspot device, once you've chosen your plan you can be up and running within a few days.