HughesNet established as a satellite internet service provider since the mid-1990s, has become a big name in the world of satellite internet, building on its strong and lengthy reputation. While satellite speeds may have been pretty slow when the provider first started out, this technology has come a long way since then.
HughesNet Gen4 Internet: What to Consider
HughesNet's services have therefore evolved over the years and the provider now offers pretty impressive satellite internet speeds via its Gen4 service. The provider, while not among the best internet providers available, also offers various contact methods for customer service, with around the clock tech support, online assistance, and even live chat support.
HughesNet's services have therefore evolved over the years and the provider now offers pretty impressive satellite internet speeds via its Gen4 service. The provider also offers various contact methods for customer service, with around the clock tech support, online assistance, and even live chat support.
Read More: HughesNet is featured on our list of the top satellite internet providers.
Among all the providers of satellite internet service, what HughesNet stands out with is their commitment to offering competitive prices, fast speeds with their Gen4 service, and mass availability regardless of how remote your location may be. Gen4 technology is especially appealing because it provides some of the fastest download speeds around when it comes to satellite internet, so shopping, chatting, watching video clips, and downloading music can be done without frustration and total convenience.
As one of the most experienced and trusted names in the industry, HughesNet provides internet services are operated through more than 2.5 million systems, in over 100 different countries.
HughesNet Pricing and Packages
A variety of plans is available with HughesNet for their satellite internet services. It is available nationwide, in all 50 states. Prices range from $39.99 - $129.99, plus additional fees such as $9.99 for the lease of equipment. Installation and one-time setup do not have extra charges. The fee for early termination can be anywhere between $200- $800.
Read More: There are several ways to access internet if you live in a rural area.
HughesNet Internet Plans
- HughesNet Connect Plan: For $39.99 per month, you get 5GB of anytime data usage, plus an additional 10GB bonus. The download rate is 5 Mbps, upload rate is 1 Mbps.
- HughesNet Power Plan: At $49.99 per month, you will get 10BG of anytime data allowance, and an additional 10BG as a bonus. The download rate is 10 Mbps, with 1 Mbps for the upload rate.
- HughesNet Power Pro Plan: The Power Pro plan at $69.99 per month, offers a 10 Mbps download rate, and an upload rate of 2 Mbps. Anytime data allowance is a 15GB, and you get a bonus 15GB just for joining.
- HughesNet Power Max Plan: This plan costs $119.99 per month, and you get a download rate of 15 Mbps and an upload rate of 2 Mbps. Anytime data allowance of 20 GB, plus an additional 20 GB as a bonus.
Unfortunately, unlike many other service providers, HughesNet does not offer discounts when it comes to bundled services. However, they are known to run a variety of specials and offer savings options such as free standard installation.
The amount of data allowance you get will depend on the package you opt for. With the entry package, the allowance is 10GB but you also get another 10GB of bonus data to use between 2 am and 8 am. There is also an option to purchase more data in blocks should you need to.
HughesNet offers a choice of satellite internet packages, with the base package offering download speeds of up to 10Mbps and the Power MAX plan offering excellent speeds of 15Mbps. As is the case with most satellite services, you may experience latency that can impact the ability to engage in activities such as heavy gaming. However, for day to day use and browsing, the speeds offered are perfectly sufficient. The amount of data allowance you get will depend on the package you opt for.
Related: You'll want to take a look at our review of the Best Internet for Gaming.
HughesNet offers their customers several options for communication: phone, email, and online chat. Support via phone is accessible 24 hours daily, 7 days per week. Chat will connect you to a representative instantly to resolve issues. Email support should be used for less dire circumstances, as one can expect a response within 24 hours.
Customer reviews and company reputation are two great ways to determine whether or not you might enjoy a HughesNet internet package. On the Better Business Bureau, HughesNet is an Accredited Business with an A+ score. Trustpilot, a website that ranks companies purely from customer reviews, rates HughesNet a 0.5/10. Keep in mind that the experiences of one customer are not representative of the company as a whole, but it is important to spot potential issues you may have with the company early nonetheless.
Tools and Apps
- If you are located in a rural or suburban locale, HughesNet is a legitimate option for those in search of a reliable and fast satellite internet provider. If you have an unobstructed view of the southern sky, their service should work for your any of your typical needs.
- HughesNet Gen4 offers a leading innovation in satellite internet with their 4th generation high-speed technology, and it is a serious high-speed option for those looking for the best performance with satellite.
- HughesNet's website is extremely in-depth and offers a generous amount of information geared towards informing and educating the consumer.
To sum up, HughesNet does offer very decent speeds even with its base package, which is ideal for those who just want to browse and perform day to day online activities. However, with no bundles available it may not be the most convenient option for consumers, although it could prove ideal for those who want standalone satellite internet.
Related: Looking for bundles? You should take a look at these TV and internet bundles.
HughesNet is a great option for those in the market for satellite internet providers. While they have not received the highest rating for their customer service, in so many ways they offer a great product, at an exceptional price. Their Gen4 service is an exciting option for speedy internet, and it's a highly innovative choice as an option for those in rural, remote or off-the-grid areas.