You may have an iPhone that is simply lying around, gathering dust. Sure, a used iPhone is useful in case you lose or break your current phone and can't afford a replacement (or repairs), but more than likely, that won't be the case. Instead, you'll want to make some extra cash by selling your iPhone, which can be quite valuable. Here, we have a quick and simple guide to selling your iPhone.
Where can you sell your iPhone?
Fortunately, there are a variety of online and offline options to choose from. Here are some offline options to sell your iPhone:
- Physical Retailers - Physical retailers such as Walmart, Target, GameStop, and Best Buy will accept in-store trade-ins.
- Peer-to-Peer - Though not entirely offline, sites like Craigslist, Oodle Marketplace, and Facebook Marketplace allow you to meet with others and sell your iPhone directly to them.
- EcoATM - If you want to recycle your phone and earn cash, you can do so with an EcoATM.
- Online Trade-ins - Online trade-ins are featured on sites like Amazon, Verizon, Best Buy, and more.
- eCommerce Trade-in Sites and Apps - Sites and apps like Gazelle, Decluttr, and Swappa allow you to trade in your phone.
- Online Retailers and Auction Sites - You can sell your phone directly to a person online with sites like eBay and Amazon.
Benefits of selling your phone online
There are a variety of reasons why selling your phone online is better compared to offline, including:
1. It saves gas money
Typically, when you sell online, you won't have to travel anywhere. A shipping kit will be delivered to your home.
2. You'll earn more
Sites like Gazelle and Amazon will pay you more for your phone in comparison to in-store.
3. More often than not you'll receive cash
Most physical retailers offer credit as opposed to cash.
4. It saves time
Selling online is far more efficient and saves you precious time.
How to Trade-in your old phone for cash online
Trading in your old phone online is, oftentimes, a simple process. Here are the typical instructions to trade-in your used iPhone:
1. Identify and select your iPhone
2. Describe its function/condition
3. Receive a quote
4. Follow the prompt and ship out your iPhone
5. Receive payment
Be sure to compare prices among sites to receive the maximum amount you can earn.
Have a cracked or broken phone? No problem!
It's pointless to have a broken iPhone lying around, and fortunately, many trade-in companies will take the iPhone off your hands. While you'll receive less for a broken phone compared to a good-conditioned phone, you'll still receive some amount of money, which is better than nothing.
Before you sell your phone, reset it!
It's a good idea to factory reset your phone. While many trade-in companies will wipe your data for you, your data is still at their mercy, so it's best for you to reset your phone. Before you factory reset your data, make sure to backup your data. Once you're ready, just follow these instructions:
1. Go to Settings > General > Reset
2. Tap "Erase All Content and Settings"
3. Enter your passcode (if you have one), you'll receive a warning box. Tap the box.
4. Enter your Apple ID password to wipe your phone.