Are you trapped in the expensive cycle of trading your phone in for a brand-new one every year? If your carrier is offering you a "deal" on your upgrade, maybe it's time to consider another option.
The first thing to ask yourself is "Do I really need a new iPhone?" Most changes to new models are minor, which means you're taking on two years of payments for little gain.
Once you do tire of your old iPhone there's a much better way to get an upgrade at an affordable price.
Interested in finding out what your alternatives are? Stay tuned - I'll give you the information you need to get the most money for your iPhone, plus save hundreds on your next phone!
Table of Contents
Sell Your AT&T iPhone
When you sell your iPhone online instead of using carrier trade in programs you put yourself in a position to make more money and retain more of your freedom.
Benefits of selling your AT&T iPhone online:
- Get a better offer than your carrier will give you.
- Get cash that you can spend on anything - not store credit.
- Get your money fast - usually the day after the buyer site receives your device.
- Trusted companies provide everything you need - free shipping and insurance. Some even send you packing materials.
We make it easy to compare offers from top phone buyers so you get the most money out of your iPhone.
AT&T Trade vs Selling
Price Comparison: AT&T iPhone Trade-in vs Selling Online
|Device||AT&T (Credit)||MoneySavingPro (Cash)||Extra Cash|
|iPhone 8 Plus (64GB)||$350||$462||$112|
|iPhone 8 (64GB)||$276||$400||$124|
|iPhone 7 Plus (32GB)||$160||$330||$170|
|iPhone 7 (32GB)||$200||$270||$70|
How Much Is My AT&T iPhone Worth?
There are a couple of factors that will affect how much the buyer offers you:
- Condition: Different sites classify device condition slightly differently. In general you'll choose from options like Excellent (like new), Very Good, Good, Fair, and Poor. You'll get the most money if your phone is in good working condition.
- IMEI status: Your phone's ID number must be clean. Reputable companies will not buy lost or stolen devices.
You're probably wondering "Can I sell a broken phone?" For example, say your screen is cracked or you have water damage. You can sell your damaged iPhone, but you'll get a significantly reduced offer.
Compare offers now to see how much your AT&T iPhone is worth.
Selling Online for Cash
The process of selling your iPhone is simple and straightforward.
- Find your specific device on the company's website.
- Answer questions about condition, carrier, etc.
- See your instant offer.
- Request a prepaid shipping label by email or regular mail.
- Send your phone in and wait to get paid.
Some buyers will send you a box if your phone's value meets their guidelines. You can choose your preferred method of payment, like PayPal or check.
Your offer should be good for about a month - this gives you time to get your new phone.
If the buyer site doesn't agree with your condition assessment once they receive the device, they'll send you an adjusted offer, which you can accept or reject.
You want to protect your identity and your privacy by following a few steps before mailing your iPhone off.
- Do a backup. Back up your data to iCloud and iTunes, and save any photos or videos from text messages that you haven't saved to your camera roll.
- Unpair your Apple Watch. Go into your Watch app to unpair your connected device.
- Log out of iCloud and iTunes. If you're upgrading to an Android device, you'll also need to go into your iMessage settings and deregister your phone number.
- Turn off Find My iPhone. This is important because if you don't de-activate this feature, the new owner won't be able to activate it.
- Reset your iPhone. Go into Settings: General: Reset: Erase All Content and Settings to completely wipe your phone.
Money Saving Tips
Features don't change much from model year to model year. You can get a top flagship phone with all the great options you love for hundreds less by going with last year's iPhone.
1. Buy a refurbished AT&T iPhone
- Cheaper by up to half or more off retail price
- Warranties provided by most sellers - up to a full year
- Free shipping
- Phone repair stores make fixing devices cheap and easy
See the lowest prices on refurbished AT&T iPhones so you get the best deal available from multiple sellers.
2. Switch to an AT&T MVNO
If you want to save even more money, consider switching to an MVNO.
Mobile Virtual Network Operators - MVNOs - are smaller wireless carriers that lease the use of the big four major networks. They offer cell phone plans on the very same network you already love, at a lower cost.
How can you get a better price from an MVNO, without compromising service quality? These providers operate mostly online, which means their overhead and marketing costs are lower than the big guys.
AT&T MVNO Benefits:
- Cheaper rates by 50% or more
- Reliable coverage on the same network AT&T uses
- Customized plans so you only pay for what you actually need
- No contracts or credit checks
- Bring your own phone and keep your number
- Easy to switch online
Wondering exactly how much money you can save on your plan? Find out fast with our cell phone plan savings calculator.
Next, compare cell phone plans from AT&T MVNOs to find the right fit for your needs and budget.
You work hard for your money - sell your AT&T iPhone online and get more of it back.