Sell Your AT&T Phone for More Cash Online
Your AT&T upgrade is approaching - are you ready to trade in your cell phone and take on another two years of payments?
First, ask yourself if you really need a brand new phone. Changes to new models are usually slight, making it more sensible to pay off your device and enjoy the lower cell phone bill.
If you do need a new cell phone, don't worry. There are plenty of options other than staying on the trade-in train.
Read on if you want to get the most money for your current phone and save over 50% on your next AT&T upgrade!
Sell Your AT&T Phone
Sell your AT&T phone online instead of trading it in to squeeze the most possible value out of it. Sites like Decluttr and Gazelle make it simple and fast to get cash for your smartphone.
Benefits of selling your AT&T phone online:
- Typically much higher offer than trading it in
- Cash payment to spend as you wish - not store credit
- Free shipping label and insurance
- Fast payment - typically the next day after the buyer receives your device
- Compare the best offers from multiple buyers in one place
Want to deal directly with the buyer and handle shipping and returns yourself? Choose a site like eBay or Swappa.
AT&T Trade vs Selling
Price Comparison: AT&T Phone Trade-in vs Selling Online
|Device||AT&T (Credit)||MoneySavingPro (Cash)||Extra Cash|
|iPhone 8 Plus (64GB)||$350||$462||$112|
|iPhone 8 (64GB)||$276||$400||$124|
|iPhone 7 Plus (32GB)||$160||$330||$170|
|iPhone 7 (32GB)||$200||$270||$70|
|Galaxy S8 Plus||$230||$300||$70|
|Galaxy S7 Edge||$105||$166||$61|
How Much Is My AT&T Phone Worth?
We know this is what you really want to know - and the answer depends on a couple of different things.
- Condition: You'll get the highest offer if your cell phone is in good working condition. There are usually a few classifications that determine value - like excellent (like new), good, fair, poor. These levels vary among buyers.
- IMEI status: Your phone's ID number tells the buyer whether it's been reported as lost or stolen. You must have a clean IMEI number and own your phone outright in order to sell.
You may also wonder "Can I sell a broken phone?" The answer is sometimes. You can definitely sell a phone with a broken screen, although your offer will be much lower than for a device in great condition.
See how much your AT&T phone is worth right now!
Selling Online for Cash
Depending upon the buyer you choose there will be a few simple steps to follow before you ship your device in.
- Find your device on the buyer website.
- Answer a few questions about condition, carrier, etc.
- Get an instant offer (in most cases).
- Choose to receive your shipping label by email or snail mail.
- Send in your phone and wait for payment.
You can choose your own payment method, like check or PayPal. Your offer will be locked in for about 30 days in most cases.
If the buyer disagrees with the condition of your device, they may send you an adjusted offer once they receive your phone.
- Back up your data. Save to iCloud and iTunes on iPhone or to your preferred cloud on Android. Make sure you've got your contacts, calendar, and any photos or videos you haven't saved to your phone from text messages.
- Log out of your accounts. Sign out of iCloud, iTunes, Google, etc. If you're switching to an Android phone go into iMessage settings and deregister your phone number.
- Unpair your Apple Watch and turn off Find My iPhone (iPhone only). Unpair your accessories in the Watch app. Go into iCloud settings to turn off Find My iPhone.
- Factory reset your phone. This is usually found in your phone's settings menu. You want to erase all data and completely wipe the device.
- Remove your SIM and memory cards. You may need your SIM card if you're staying on the same wireless account. Grab your memory card while you're at it.
Money Saving Tips
If you sell your phone online instead of trading it in, how do you get your next AT&T phone?
Buy refurbished. You'll save hundreds and get a top device in great working condition - without the pain of high monthly payments.
1. Buy a refurbished AT&T phone
- Savings of 50% or more off retail price
- Warranties up to 12 months from reputable sellers
- Free shipping
- Wide availability of phone fix-it shops for affordable repairs
2. Switch to an AT&T MVNO
Thinking about switching carriers? Now's a great time. Save about $600 a year by switching to an MVNO.
MVNOs - Mobile Virtual Network Operators - are smaller wireless carriers that use the same networks as the big four carriers.
MVNOs operate mostly online and have lower overhead, which means they can offer you cheaper cell phone plans without compromising your quality of service.
AT&T MVNO Benefits:
- Same reliable network as AT&T wireless uses
- Cheaper cell phone plan prices by up to 50% or more
- Custom plans so you only pay for what you actually need
- Bring your own phone and keep your phone number
- Easy online sign-up
See how much money you can save with our cell phone plan savings calculator.
We make it easy to compare cell phone plans from AT&T MVNOs so you get the right plan at the right price!
Why pay $1000+ for your smartphone only to trade it in for peanuts in account credit? Get the most cash out of your used phone when you sell it online.
Once you're ready for a new device buy a refurbished or used AT&T cell phone to save over 50% off retail and get out of the trade-in cycle.
Finally, switch to an AT&T MVNO to save over $600 a year on your cell phone plan!