I'm sure we have all experienced a time when we wanted to know how to block a phone number.
The telemarketing calls are relentless, the scammers are phishing, and your cousin wants you to invest in his startup.
Did you know it only takes a few minutes to block those annoying, unwanted calls?
In this guide, I'm going to walk you through the steps you need to take a block those annoying incoming calls from pesky telemarketers, salespeople, and the like. There are actually quite a number of different ways you can block a phone number across different devices, so look for the solution that works best for you.
In This Guide
- How to Block a Phone Number on an iPhone
- Block a Phone Number on a Windows Phone
- Block Someone on Viber App for Android, iOS, and Windows
- Block a Phone Number On Google Voice
- Block a Cell Phone Number by Carrier
- Block a Number in Facebook Messenger
- What Happens When You Block a Phone Number?
- How to Block a Phone Number on a House Phone with DoNotCall.Gov
How to Block a Phone Number on an iPhone
Here are steps to add a specific caller number to your block list.
1. From the Phone app, select Recent and find the number you want to block
2. Click the circle by it with the "I" in it.
3. Choose Block This Caller from the pop-up screen to block someone
Take these steps to block caller numbers from your Contact list
1. Go to Settings
2. Navigate to Phone, then go to Call Blocking & Identification
3. Block Contact
4. Once you click Block Contact, select the person you want to block and follow the prompts to block their specific number
Tired of High Phone Bills? Calculate Your Savings!Save Now
Alternatively, you can go to:
2. Messages, then Blocked
3. Add New
Depending on your version of iOS, you may have to add a number to your Contact list in order to put it in block mode.
You can also block incoming calls via the FaceTime app. Find your most recent conversation with them and click the circle with the "I" in it. From the screen that appears, select Block This Caller.
If you are always sent to voicemail when you call a number, or never see "delivered" appear when you send texts, or if sent text turns green instead of blue, you may have been blocked. These signs may indicate the number you are trying has no connection, it may be a temporary situation.
How to Block a Phone Number on Android
Here are tips for blocking phone calls on specific Android phone operating systems. There are also many available third-party Android smartphone block apps for blocking phone numbers.
Blocking cell phone calls on the Marshmallow or Nougat operation systems
- Open Dialer and navigate to your recent calls
- Choose the number you want to block
- Tap Block / Report Spam and then click Block to put the number in block mode
To block a cell phone from calling on Lollipop
1. From the Phone app select Call Settings
2. Click on Call Blocking
3. Head to the Block List
4. Search the number or type one in
Block Calls on LG Phones
- From the Phone app, select the Menu button
- Go to Settings
- Call Reject
- Select the Reject Calls From button to add a number to your reject list
- Add numbers you want to block to your reject list
Block a Number on Samsung Phones
If you have Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy Edge, or the Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone, the below steps should help you block a telephone number.
- Navigate to the Phone app
- Open the Log
- Select the number to be blocked
- Select More, then go to Block settings
- Select Call Block and Message Block
Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
1. Open Phone app
2. Tap on More and click on Settings
3. Click Call Blocking > Block List
4. Add a specific number or contact to your list
5. You can also turn on Block Anonymous Calls to block unknown numbers
Samsung Galaxy Note
1. Open Phone app
2. Click on your Recent list
3. Select the number or contact you want to put on your reject list
4. Click More > Add to Block List
Block a Number on the Droid RAZR
Here's how to add someone to your auto reject list on a Droid RAZR.
- From your Home Screen, go to Apps icon > People.
- Select the contact you wish to block.
- Click the Menu button on the upper-right.
- Click All Calls to Voicemail to auto reject a call on your Droid RAZR.
For numbers in your contact list go to Phone app
- Tap Move, then go to Settings, then find Call Blocking
- Select the numbers to add to your automatic reject list.
Block a Phone Number on a Windows Phone
- From settings, go to Call + SMS Filter
- Turn on Block Calls
- Open the Phone app
- Choose the number to be blocked
- Tap Block Number, then hit OK
Block Someone on Viber App for Android, iOS, and Windows
The Viber Block App can be downloaded on Windows, iOS, and Android smartphones and devices. The Viber App is similar to WhatsApp and can be used to contact other Viber account holders via text, call, and picture sharing. Here's how to do it.
1. Open your Viber App.
2. Click on More to the bottom right on your screen.
3. Click on Settings.
4. Click Privacy.
5. Click on Block List.
6. Click on Add Number.
7. Select the contact you want to block and click Done.
Block a Phone Number On Google Voice
Google Voice is a Google voicemail service that lets you send free texts, customize voicemail, and more. If you have a Gmail email account, you can download it for free on the Google Play Store. The Google Play Store also has other apps you can download to block numbers. Here's how to block someone within the Google Voice program.
- Type in your Gmail email address and password to sign into your Google Voice account.
- Search for and select the call you want to block or find for the voicemail the person left.
- Check the box next to the call or voicemail.
- Click "More" underneath the call.
- Click "Block Caller."
Block a Cell Phone Number by Carrier
The major cellular service carriers all provide tips for their customers on blocking cell phone numbers and unwanted phone calls. Each carrier also has anonymous call rejection. With anonymous call rejection, you can block anyone calling from a private number to save yourself from telemarketing calls. You should also be able to create an auto reject list with any carrier.
Block a Phone Number at AT&T
Block a Phone Number at Sprint
Beyond Sprint's phone plans, Sprint also provides you with help on blocking a phone number. Here's how to do so with Sprint:
- Log in to Sprint and choose My Preferences
- Choose Limits and Permissions, then go to Block Voice
- Navigate to Block Only the Following Phone Numbers
- Enter the numbers you want to block
- Choose Add Number, then click on Save
Block a Phone Number with Straight Talk
With a Straight Talk plan, check the instructions for your phone model to block a phone number. With Straight Talk Android or Symbian smartphones, use the phone menu or a third party app to block calls.
Block a Phone Number on T-Mobile
If you use any of T-Mobile's plans and have issues with particular people (i.e. telemarketers), you should learn how to block their numbers with the service. Here's how to do so:
- From the Home screen, choose Phone, then Contacts
- Navigate to the contact to be blocked
- Select Block
Those with any of these family plans can block caller IDs on the T-Mobile site.
- Log in to your account
- Find Tools
- Select Family Allowance, then click on Access Family Allowances
- From Allowed Numbers choose Never Allowed
- You can enter up to ten numbers to block
- Select OK and Save
Block a Phone Number at Verizon
With a Verizon service plan, users can block up to five numbers per Verizon account for 90 days at a time. Log into your Verizon account at the website.
- Find My Account
- Go to Manage Verizon Family Safeguards
- Click on Call & Message Blocking, then Add Now
- Enter up to five numbers
Users can pay for permanent blocking or parental controls for a fee of $4.99 per month.
Block a Number on a Pre-Paid Cell Phone
If you have a pre-paid cell phone and are wondering how to block a phone number from it, the process will depend on your wireless service and which programs they offer. Do a Google search for steps to block caller IDs on a pre-paid phone with your specific carrier.
Read More: To learn more about parental controls, you can refer to our guide on setting up parental controls.
Block a Number in Facebook Messenger
1. Tap the gear icon on the phone number or name on your list.
2. Select Block Messages
3. Follow the onscreen prompts. If you want, you can also block that person on Facebook as well.
What Happens When You Block a Phone Number?
If the blocked number tries to call you, the caller hears one ring and then is directed to voicemail. They can leave a message even if they are blocked.
You can use caller ID block to create a private number on a per call basis by entering "*67", then entering the area code and number you wish to call. The recipient will see the word "anonymous" or "private" as your call comes in when you use caller ID block. You should also always check the caller ID for private numbers before you answer the phone to avoid unwanted calls.
To see a full step-by-step explanation, you can check out our article on How to Block Your Caller ID.
How to Block a Phone Number on a House Phone with DoNotCall.Gov
You can limit unwanted calls by putting yourself on the National Do-Not-Call List. Visit DoNotCall.gov and register up to three phone numbers. All you have to do is click on "Register My Phone > Register" and provide an email address, which you will use to confirm your registration.
You can also call 888-382-1222 to join the National Do-Not-Call List. Once you're on it for 31 days, you can report unwanted sales calls from pesky telemarketers to stop them from calling.
Even though we might receive annoying calls or messages from people we don't want contacting us, at the very least it's easy to block them. You should also teach your children to block unsolicited calls.
In relation, if your child or teen is blocking calls from people who may be harassing them, you should be aware of the available strategies and prevention techniques, which are highlighted in our ultimate guide of cell phone safety tips for kids.
If you're working with a very old device that doesn't have the ability to block others from calling you, you might want to pick up a new smartphone. If you want to know how to unblock a number, check your carrier's website or simply do a Google search for how to unblock a number on your specific operating system.
Of course, you can always compare cell phones side-by-side with our handy tool here if you're interested in a new smartphone.