Upgrading your phone is an exciting event - except when it comes time to pay.
With smartphone costs spiraling out of control it's getting harder and harder to justify the huge outlay of cash (or years of monthly installments!).
COMPARE NOW: T-Mobile Cell Phone Deals
Don't worry - you're not doomed to the high price tags you'll find inside T-Mobile stores.
We've got your back with plenty of ways to save, including cheap T-Mobile phones (under $300!) plus discounts on your cell phone plans. Stay tuned!
Table of Contents
Buy Used to Get the Best Deal on Cheap T-Mobile Phones
While your natural instinct may be to go for the latest flagship phone, take a minute to think about what exactly you're dishing out major dough for.
The fact is that there are plenty of great used and refurbished devices available from reputable sellers. You don't have to sacrifice quality or features to save money on your phone.
Benefits of buying a used smartphone include:
- Huge savings: Smartphones that are a couple of generations old (in great working condition) will cost you a fraction of the original retail price.
- More bang for the buck: Changes from model year to model year are typically minor. Check out our comparison of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the Samsung Galaxy S9 to see what I mean. The changes are seldom worth the hefty price hike.
- Easy repairs: You may be nervous about not having an original manufacturer's warranty. That's no problem these days because of the wide availability of affordable phone repair stores.
- Own your phone - and your freedom: Financing a phone through your carrier means commitment - and higher monthly bills. Buy a used or refurbished T-Mobile phone and enjoy the freedom to switch carriers any time you like.
The key to saving money on your cell phone is to put function first and flash second. The truth is, you probably don't need the bells and whistles that separate a $300 phone from a $1000 one. And you could probably put that extra money to better use!
The Best Cheap T-Mobile iPhones
The Best Cheap T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Phones
Key Considerations When Buying a Used T-Mobile Phone
As you shop you'll encounter a variety of price points and conditions. Used phones are usually sold as-is while refurbished have been inspected, tested, and restored.
Other factors to consider as you compare prices on used T-Mobile phones for sale:
- Warranties: Your used phone warranty depends on where you buy it. Some sellers, like Gazelle, offer a 30-day phone warranty. Decluttr sets the bar with its one-year limited warranty.
- Return policy: Most reputable sellers offer some type of return period. This varies between a week and a month.
- Certified pre-owned: If you prefer a little extra reassurance that your used phone has been put through the paces with inspection and testing, look for a certified device.
- Device compatibility: GSM vs. CDMA matters in terms of your phone's 4G signal. You want to shop for an unlocked GSM phone for the best functionality on the T-Mobile network.
- Timing: Looking for a big price drop? Shop for your used T-Mobile phone right when the new generation comes out. For example, you'll get the best iPhone X deals when the next iPhone is released.
- Installment payments: You can find used phone sellers that offer device payment plans. Watch the interest rates, though.
How to Save Even More Money
There are more things you can do to save on your wireless expenses - things you might not know about.
Sell Your Old Phone for Cash
Get more money when you sell your old phone online. While you could trade your phone in to your carrier for trade-in credit, you'll typically get significantly more when you use a buyback site instead. And that's cash - not credit.
Selling your phone is simple, so don't be intimidated. Buyback sites typically even provide the photos. All you need to do is ship your device off and wait to get paid!
Make the Switch to an MVNO
Looking to save even more money? You're in luck! Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) are one of the wireless industry's best-kept secrets. MVNOs are small carriers that lease bandwidth on the big four networks – Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Simply put, you're getting big network coverage at small network prices.
MVNOs don't have the massive overhead costs the major carriers have, so they can sell service to you at a more affordable price. Signing up for an MVNO is quick and easy and is typically done completely online.
In addition to saving up to 50% off your cell phone plan, other benefits of MVNOs include:
- No long-term contracts
- No credit checks
- T-Mobile prepaid phone options
- Customizable plans
- High customer service ratings
- Ability to bring your own phone and keep your number
COMPARE NOW: Cheap T-Mobile Cell Phone Plans
Upgrading your phone doesn't have to mean huge debt or sacrificing the features you want:
- Buy a used or refurbished phone.
- Switch to a cheaper cell phone plan with a T-Mobile MVNO.
- Sell your old phone for cash.
Find out exactly how much you can save with our cell phone plan savings calculator!
COMPARE NOW: T-Mobile Cell Phone Deals