Apple iPhones are well known for their longevity and tendency to hold their value. It's no wonder you love your iPhone - even if you don't love the price tag.
Good news - you don't have to sink over $1000 into your beloved Apple device.
COMPARE NOW: Compare iPhone Prices
In this guide we'll show you where to find the best iPhone deals - for a fraction of retail prices - along with some clever ways to save even more money on your cell phone costs. Stay tuned!
Table of Contents
Buy Refurbished to Get the Best iPhone Deals
The best way to save money on an iPhone is to look to the secondhand market. It just makes sense - the used iPhone marketplace is on fire right now, offering incredible prices whether you're looking for the best iPhone SE deals or the best iPhone X deals.
Aside from avoiding sticker shock (the iPhone XS Max goes for as much as $1450 - what?!) there are plenty of reasons to shop used and refurbished smartphones for your next iPhone upgrade:
- Serious savings: Depending on the model year, you can save more than 50% off your new-to-you iPhone.
- Great bang for the buck: Used Apple products are a particularly good value because of their longevity. The newest iOS works even on the iPhone 5S. That means you can have all of your favorite apps and functions without being forced into the newest - and most expensive - iPhone model.
- Peace of mind: Buying a used smartphone used to be a huge gamble. You had to buy on auction sites or local used marketplaces like Craigslist, which opened you up to possible stolen or locked devices. Now you can just buy from a reliable seller site and rest assured that your iPhone is free and clear to be used on your cell phone plan.
- Own your iPhone - and your freedom: Refurbished iPhone prices are affordable enough to pay in full. This will allow you to avoid being tied to your wireless provider, which means you're free to switch carriers if you find a better deal on your plan.
The wisdom of the used iPhone is well documented. In fact, industry analysis Horace Dediu recently released numbers showing that two out of three iPhones ever produced are still in use. That's pretty remarkable in this age of disposable tech!
The Best iPhone SE Deals
The Best iPhone 7 Deals
The Best iPhone 8 Deals
The Best iPhone X Deals
Key Considerations When Buying a Refurbished iPhone
How do you get the best price on an iPhone while making sure you get a quality device that will last until your next upgrade? It's actually pretty simple if you keep a few things in mind.
As you shop you'll notice a variety of conditions and types of iPhones for sale. Used are sold as-is and refurbished are typically inspected, tested, and restored.
Here are some factors you should take into consideration as you browse the different seller sites:
- Warranties: Trustworthy sellers offer protection via a limited time guarantee or warranty. You'll see anywhere from 30 days - like with Gazelle - to one year from Decluttr.
- Return policy: This is another layer of assurance you get when you buy from the best phone sellers. Read the fine print before you buy so that you know how long you have to return your iPhone should there be an issue with it.
- Device compatibility: Dependable refurbished phone sellers offer unlocked smartphones that are ready to be activated on your cell phone plan. You'll get the best functionality if you stick to phones made for your carrier, though. If you like the T-Mobile network, look for the best T-Mobile iPhone deals. Likewise with the other networks: shop the best Sprint iPhone deals if you're on the Sprint network, etc.
- Certified pre-owned iPhones: Certified devices are similar to refurbished in that they have been rigorously inspected and tested to ensure they're in good working condition. They may not have undergone - or needed - repair, however.
- Timing: Older model iPhone prices go down when a new generation is released. For instance, you'll find the best iPhone X deals now that the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are on the market.
- Payment plans: Some sellers offer third-party iPhone financing. There will be interest, though, so the financially savvy option is to pay in full at the time of purchase.
At MoneySavingPro we've put together everything you need to get the best phone deals.
Read the pros and cons of the best places to buy a used phone to see which one is best for your needs. Then you can use our iPhone price comparison engine to see the lowest available price instantly!
How to Save Even More Money
If you're watching your budget you might want to cut your wireless costs across the board. There are a couple other effective ways to do so:
Sell Your Old iPhone for Cash
It's tempting to trade your iPhone in to your carrier for trade-in credit, but you won't get as much money you'll get in cash selling it online. We've compared trade-in values for all four major carriers so you can see how the two options measure up:
- Compare AT&T iPhone trade-in values
- Compare T-Mobile iPhone trade-in values
- Compare Verizon Wireless iPhone trade-in values
- Compare Sprint iPhone trade-in values
Switch to a Low-Cost Carrier
MVNOs rent space on the big four networks - AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint - and resell it to you at a discount. They can do this because these smaller providers have lower overhead and marketing costs. And, they can save you up to half off your monthly bills.
Benefits of MVNOs:
- Cheaper plans
- Same great 4G LTE service on the networks you love
- Custom plan options
- High customer service ratings
- Bring your own phone and keep your number
Why not add to your savings? You get to keep the same great coverage you already enjoy, without the premium prices the major networks charge.
COMPARE NOW: Cheap Prepaid iPhone Plans
It's never been easier to save money on your wireless expenses.
- Get the lowest price on a reliable unlocked iPhone.
- Switch to a cheaper iPhone plan.
- Sell your old iPhone for cash.
With reputable sellers and the durability the iPhone offers, you can get that great feature-filled device without breaking the bank!
COMPARE NOW: Compare iPhone Prices