If you're not a video game collector and have quite a few games strewn about your home, then it may be time to sell those games. I know you're probably thinking, "I'll get around to beating/replaying them," but chances are you have a huge backlog just waiting to be played and more fantastic games continue to launch each year.
You may be considering heading to GameStop to sell your games, but the problem is GameStop tends to offer little cash for your games.
Instead, you should turn your attention to online sites, who will give you a little more for your games (if you want straight cash, anyway). Fortunately, we're here to guide you to the best sites to sell video games for cash - we've taken the time researching companies and comparing their strengths. Read on to learn more.
- Consider the timing of your sale. If you happen to have a rare game and have no need for it, then you should certainly sell it when the value is high. For instance, at the time of this writing, the SNES copy of Chrono Trigger, with the manual and box, is valued at a whopping $236.52. A loose copy goes for a little over $100!
- Clean your games. Make sure that your games are cleaned. If a game disc features a lot of scratches but you still want to sell your game, please consider bringing it to a professional cleaning service. It is NOT recommended for you to fix those scratches.
- Multiplayer games typically have lower trade value. Single player games generally maintain a higher value over time. Strictly multiplayer games tend to depreciate quickly (a year or two).
- Collectors' editions have a higher resell value. If you have a collectors' edition product and want to sell it, make sure to include everything that was in that edition, so you can typically sell that edition for more than what the standard version is worth.
- Compare prices on the game. To maximize your earnings on your video game, you should take the time to compare sites on the marketplace.
Sell Your Games
There are a few reasons why you should sell your video games online:
- Validation in Minutes. It only takes a few minutes generally to validate your listing, but you will likely need a form of identification.
- Make More Money Fast. It's easy to trade in your games for store credit at GameStop, but with Decluttr, you can earn much more!
- It's Environmentally Friendly! Not only do you earn money but you can also help the environment by recycling games! One way to do that, outside of literally recycling them, is to sell them!
Selling Online Tips
- Seller fees - Several online selling sites will have seller fees, which may or may not include transaction fees and listing fees.
- Shipping - Is the buyer paying for the shipping of the product or will you?
- Are you selling to the company or directly to an individual? - If you are planning to ship to the company, the company would typically handle shipping by sending you shipping materials such as labels and boxes. However, if you're selling directly to an individual, chances are you are going to be responsible for the shipping. To do that, make sure you pack the game well so it can travel from point A to point B safely and insure it.
- Returns - Make sure to review the company's policy involving returns. If your video game doesn't match the condition you provided (perhaps it has several scratches that you've neglected to mention), then the company may either return or refuse to sell your product, meaning you won't be paid.
Best Places to Sell
- Sell via the mobile app as well as the site
- Find the ISBN and enter or scan the 13 digits for an instant quote
- Free shipping
- Payments are processed the day after the books are inspected
- They reserve the right to not pay you for rejected items- and they will not return the items
- You don't get a huge amount for your items
With Decluttr, you can sell a wide range of products including selling textbooks. One of the reasons this is considered a top site is that fact that the process is so simple.
Decluttr allows you to sell a wide range of video games, but if you're using the site, you must input the UPC code of the game into the search bar and not the game itself.
- Carefully reviewed listings to ensure quality
- All payments and sales are made strictly via PayPal to protect both the buyer and the seller
- A handy seller rating system
- Excellent customer support is offered
- PayPal is the only method of payment
- There is an expiration date on your listing
- Seller is responsible for device and it's condition until it gets to the buyer
Swappa is known for being the "middleman" in peer-to-peer interactions. This means that it's similar to Amazon in that you're not only setting your own prices, but you're able to connect with the buyer.
- You can typically make the highest profits on your games with Amazon by directly selling to the consumer
- Trade in your games as well.
- However, you'll have to pay various fees associated with your sale and selling the item can be a little bit of a chore
- Complimentary customer service and shipping with Fulfillment by Amazon
- Millions of potential customers are able to view your listing
- You have to pay to sell on Amazon
Amazon is known to be the world's largest marketplace, proving to be a major advantage when selling games. You can sell just about any video game on the site.
More Ways to Save Money
Did you know that you can save more money by selling not just video games but also video game consoles, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, Macbooks and laptops, iPads, and tablets?
You can save on home space and rack up a few extra dollars by selling them, so check out our guides on where to sell these goods to maximize your profits:
Selling your video games is a great way to rack up some extra cash while you prune your video game collection; it's important to try and avoid trading in those games for store credit (unless you plan to buy games), and instead sell them online, either to the company or to an individual.
To make the most out of your video game sale, you should take a moment to compare prices for online marketplaces like Swappa, Amazon, Glyde, BuyBackWorld, and Decluttr.