It seems as though traditional television viewing is being left in the dust. Even the best cable TV providers and satellite TV providers are struggling to keep up, particularly when it comes to millennials.
According to the Pew Research Center, 61% of TV consumers ages 18 to 29 say they primarily watch television through live TV streaming services on the internet. That's compared to 31% of them who say they watch via cable or satellite subscriptions and 5% who watch with a digital antenna.
COMPARE NOW: Sling TV Plans & Packages
Keep reading for our full Sling TV review, including info on channel lineups and extras!
Table of Contents
Key Considerations When Choosing a Streaming Service
With all the streaming services out there it can be hard who pick the right one. Here are some things to consider:
- Cost: There is a broad range of price points among the various streaming services. Take into account whether you'll need multiple subscriptions to get all the content you want. They can add up quickly.
- Content type: Some streaming services don't get weekly content. Instead, they'll pick up a series after the season is over. If you want to continue watching a certain show as it airs be sure your streaming service covers this. Also, take into account how the content airs. Netflix, for example, airs all recorded content, whereas Sling TV is live TV.
- Discounts: You may be able to find a reduced rate offer now and then, depending upon the promo the service is running. Most streaming services also offer a free trial.
- Internet speed: Streaming Sling or any other TV service will be miserable unless you have high-speed internet. You want at least 3 Mbps, preferably faster. Make sure you compare the best internet providers.
Sling TV Plans
Sling TV channels come in three plan options: Sling Orange, Sling Blue, and Sling Orange + Sling Blue. Here's the breakdown:
The main difference between the packages is the channel selection.
30+ channels, including:
- ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3
- HGTV and Food Network
- TNT and TBS
- Cartoon Network and Disney Channel
45+ channels included:
- Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2
- NBC Sports Network
- Nick Jr.
- National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild
- FX, FXX, USA
The Sling Blue package also includes HGTV, Food Network, and Cartoon Network plus more channels from the Orange package. Blue does not include the ESPN channels.
Sling Orange + Sling Blue combines the channel lineups offered by the other two packages.
In addition to a decent choice of TV shows and movies, Sling TV also offers a handful of local channels, although the selection is small.
Sling TV Prices
Sling Orange and Sling Blue both cost the same amount of money per month. Sling Orange + Sling Blue gives you a bit of a discount over buying the two separately.
As far as value goes, Sling is definitely more affordable than some of the more comprehensive services like DIRECTV Now. Sling's channel selection, however, isn't nearly as extensive. Additionally, they don't produce original content like, say, Netflix.
So why consider Sling TV, you ask? There is a reason. This provider excels in affordable add-on options, which we'll cover next.
Sling TV offers lots of a la carte extra add-ons to its packages, such as:
- Cloud DVR – The Cloud DVR lets you record up to 50 hours of content.
- Kids Extra – The Kids Extra package includes Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, Teen Nick, and much more. You can add this to your package.
- Sports Extra – Sports Extra includes ESPN U, NBA TV, ESPN SEC Network, the Golf Channel, NFL RedZone and more.
- Many more extras – Other add-on packages such as Comedy, News, Lifestyle, Locals, and Premium channels*
The specific extra channels you get depend upon which base plan you're starting with - Blue or Orange.
You can also watch your favorite content at your convenience, with over 10,000 hours of video on demand available.
*At the time of this writing HBO is unavailable through Sling TV and DISH Network due to a dispute with AT&T.
Sling TV has plenty of options for watching live sports and other coverage:
- Sling Orange - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and ACC Network Extra.
- Sling Blue - Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, NFL Network, NBC Sports Network, and Fox Regional Sports Network.
- Sling Orange + Sling Blue - Fox Regional Sports Network, NBC Regional Sports Network, NFL Network, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, NBC Sports Network, ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3.
For hardcore fans, there's no shortage of sports channels to pick from.
Sling TV Compatible Devices
Before you commit, make sure you have one of these compatible devices:
- AirTV Player
- Amazon Fire tablets
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Google Chrome
- iOS and Android phones and tablets
- LG with Sling
- Windows 10
- XBOX ONE
As you can see the Sling TV app works with a wide range of your favorite devices, including some gaming consoles.
Sling TV User Experience
Customers seem to respond well to the prices Sling offers and the network coverage.
Consumer Reports reflects some concerns, however, specifically in regards to canceling. There have been claims that months after canceling Sling began to charge their card once again.
There are also reports of glitchy behavior in the interface, such as problems with rewinding/fast forwarding. Obviously, this can seriously interfere with your viewing experience.
How many users can watch a separate Sling TV stream at a time? You get a single stream with Orange and three with Blue. If you subscribe to Orange + Blue you still get one for Orange channels and three for Blue channels.
Benefits of Streaming TV
Shopping for the best streaming service? Streaming offers great advantages over traditional providers:
- Cost: Cord cutters save an average of $85 a month over cable TV subscribers. That number even accounts for money spent on the internet connection, which is obviously required for internet TV.
- Convenience: No waiting for the cable guy to show up for the installation. You pick and choose when you subscribe, and to which services.
- No contracts: Since streaming TV subscriptions are typically paid month-to-month you can cancel at any time, or sign back up at any time (like when the new season of your favorite binge show comes out again!).
Whether you're into sports, movies, or the latest television series', streaming has something to offer virtually everyone.
It shouldn't be too difficult to determine whether Sling TV is right for you.
- Sling TV offers cable channels live and on demand without long contracts or expensive commitments.
- Be sure to check what channels are included in each package before you commit so you don't miss out on your favorite shows.
- You can add on other channels to your chosen package for a small fee each month.
Want to read what real customers think? Check out our Sling TV reviews.
You can also compare streaming TV plans quickly and easily!
COMPARE NOW: Sling TV Plans & Packages