- Large plan selection
- Widely available in retail stores
- Unlimited carryover for unused minutes/texts/data
- Good value for very light users
- Outdated service model (selling minutes/texts/data piecemeal)
- Expensive for moderate to heavy data users
- Overly complex plan structure
This Miami, FL-based Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) has been providing traditional prepaid, no-contract cell phone plans since 2006.
You've probably heard of Tracfone over the years, considering it's one of the largest MVNOs in the United States.
Tracfone has stayed on top of the prepaid cell phone game by providing service on not one - but all four of the major wireless networks. This is especially useful if you bring your own phone to the carrier because virtually all devices are compatible.
Tracfone gives you a benefit most carriers don't - unlimited rollover of all of your unused talk minutes, text messages, and data. Plus you can buy add-ons like more data, more texts, and international calling.
Ready to learn more? Great - keep reading to find out everything you need to know in our full Tracfone review.
- Operates on AT&T, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon networks
- Prepaid service - no contract, credit check, or activation fees
- Bring your own compatible device or a buy a TracFone phone
- Call hundreds of international locations with your plan minutes, or add other countries with a global calling card
- Mobile hotspot/tethering is supported
- Use your plan minutes to call hundreds of international destinations, including Canada, China, and Mexico
- Add more countries with a global calling card
- Three local Mexico virtual phone numbers at no charge so friends and family can call you free
- Customer service by phone or chat 7 days a week from 8am to 11:45pm EST
Tracfone Prepaid Plans
Verizon vs Tracfone Plan Comparison
Keep your Verizon phone, number & coverage: Save $600 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|Verizon||Verizon 4G LTE||Unltd*||$80/mo||$960/yr|
|Tracfone||Verizon 4G LTE||3GB||$30/mo||$360/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$50/mo||$600/yr|
To give you a better idea of how Tracfone compares with the networks it operates on check out our comparison chart.
Your cell phone service coverage will depend upon which network you're using. If you bring your own phone you'll be prompted to choose a plan, which will include a Tracfone SIM card at an additional charge of .99.
All four of the wireless networks that Tracfone uses offer nationwide 4G LTE service. Let's take a look at their specific coverage so you can see which one is best for your area.
- AT&T: The AT&T network holds steady in second place for coverage among the big four, coming in behind Verizon Wireless.. You can use the AT&T coverage map to see if there's a strong signal in your area.
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile coverage map reflects its strength in metropolitan areas and its struggles in more rural locations. Still, its reliability has been growing.
- Verizon: The Verizon Wireless coverage map. It's no secret that Verizon offers fantastic coverage all over the country. As long as you don't live in an extremely remote area, this network should work well for you.
- Sprint: Sprint has labored under a less than stellar reputation for coverage. That doesn't mean it won't work well in your area, though. See the Sprint coverage map to help you decide if this is the network that's right for you.
Tracfone Cell Phone Plans
Tracfone Phone Deals
Your device options are flexible with Tracfone:
- Bring your own phone. This is super easy and affordable because Tracfone uses all four networks. If you've had service on one of the big four on your current phone, chances are likely that it'll be compatible with this carrier. Plus, you can keep your phone number.
- Buy a Tracfone device. They sell a range of new and reconditioned smartphones and basic phones for any budget. You'll have to pay upfront, though, there's no device financing available.
- Buy a refurbished phone: When you use our cell phone price comparison engine you'll be able to compare features and prices in a flash on top CDMA and GSM phones from reputable sellers. We've even filtered refurbished Tracfone compatible devices for you.
There are some important things to ask yourself before deciding on a Tracfone plan:
- Does the Tracfone coverage map show service in my area?
- Do I need unlimited data?
- Am I okay with having to top up my account every 30-365 days?
- How many lines do I need?
- Will I bring my own phone or should I buy one?
Tracfone is a decent provider for those who need a cheap cell phone plan. You can buy your service one month at a time and change it up as your needs evolve. When it comes to price, though, it all depends on what you need.
Additionally, Tracfone doesn't offer unlimited data - or unlimited talk and text, for that matter. If you tend to consume a lot of data, or if you need a family plan, you'll find better value deals among the best MVNOs.
If you're not sure yet whether Tracfone is right for you, check out the Tracfone customer reviews to get a feel for real people's experiences.
Regardless of your carrier, saving tons - 50% or more - on your smartphone is simple. Compare prices on the best refurbished phone deals.