PureTalk cell phone service review
5G & 4G LTE coverage
30-day risk-free guarantee
0% finance for new phones
US-based customer service
There are cheaper plans out there
May slow speeds at busy times
Founded by a veteran, PureTalk has a long-standing reputation for doing reasonably priced plans to suit different cell phone users.
As a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, (MVNO), they rent coverage from AT&T, then sell it back to you at a discounted price.
An alternative carrier like PureTalk could save up to $600 per year, per line. Let's dive in to help you decide if this is the plan provider for you.
PureTalk family plans
|Plan||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
If you fancy a premium wireless service that's inexpensive, PureTalk plans can offer just that.
MVNOs offer the best cell phone plans with a range of great prices for any budget. Typically, plans start from around $15 a month, depending on what you need from your cell phone plan.
We've listed a range of PureTalk's features and benefits to help you decide if PureTalk services are the best for you.
- Quality coverage: Powered by the AT&T network, you can expect the same nationwide coverage. To see if AT&T's network is the best coverage in your area you can check out the PureTalk coverage map.
- Value for money: PureTalk SIM cards offer valuable and affordable plans. Although you'll find the same features and coverage as a plan direct from AT&T, PureTalk could save you up to $600 a year.
- No contracts: As a prepaid carrier, you won't have to sign a 24 or 12 months contract. So if you're not happy with your plan there are no restrictions stopping you from changing to a different carrier.
- Phone and plan bundles: If you're interested in a brand new phone, you can find a range of the best PureTalk phones to choose from.
- Bring your own phone: If you don't want to upgrade your phone you can easily bring your own, with PureTalk bring your own phone plans. You'll just need to check your cell phone is fully compatible.
- Easy set up: Being online-based, it's quick to choose and purchase your PureTalk SIM starter kit. Once your new SIM card has arrived, it's easy to set up and you'll be up and running with a few simple steps.
- Unlimited talk & text: Most MVNOs provide unlimited talk and text with their plans.
- 4G LTE coverage: Operating on the same network, you'll receive AT&T 4G LTE data speeds.
- 5G high-speed data: If you have a 5G compatible device you can get access to the fast 5G network (where it's available) at no extra cost with PureTalk 5G plans.
- Unlimited data plan: Depending on how much data you want, PureTalk unlimited plans offer unlimited everything at half the price of an AT&T unlimited plan.
- Multiple lines: Most prepaid carriers offer a discount for additional lines purchased, making PureTalk family plans a great money-saving option based on how many lines you need.
- Customer satisfaction: Find out more about PureTalk customer service with PureTalk customer reviews.
- Promo codes: You can compare PureTalk deals and promo codes to see what savings are currently available, however, these deals change regularly.
How much is PureTalk?
|PureTalk 2GB||2GB||AT&T||$15** 25% Off for 3 Months|
|PureTalk 4GB||4GB||AT&T||$19** 25% Off for 3 Months|
|PureTalk 6GB||6GB||AT&T||$22** 25% Off for 3 Months|
|PureTalk 10GB||10GB||AT&T||$26** 25% Off for 3 Months|
|PureTalk 20GB||20GB||AT&T||$34** 25% Off for 3 Months|
|PureTalk Unlimited Data||Unltd||AT&T||$42** 25% Off for 3 Months|
What network does PureTalk use?
PureTalk is powered by AT&T's national network. For PureTalk customers, coverage depends on where in the country you are, and how many AT&T customers are using the service at one time. Take a look at the PureTalk coverage map to see how their network will work for you.
Does PureTalk have good coverage?
- Mobile hotspot - All iPhones brought to PureTalk will have mobile hotspot enabled. If you have an Android device you'll need to contact customer support to find out if it can be enabled.
- Bring your own phone - Save more by bringing your own unlocked device with you. Use our IMEI checker to see which carriers your phone is compatible with.
- Unlimited talk and text - Domestic talk and text come unlimited as standard with PureTalk. For international calling or messaging you'll need to purchase an add-on.
- Risk-free guarantee - You get 30-days to decide whether the plan is right for you. This does not include your device. There are more terms and conditions around returning a cell phone bought through this carrier.
PureTalk customer service
A score of 2.3 beats the big networks, but it's nowhere near the great TrustPilot scores we see awarded to other alternative carriers. Let's look at why that is.
PureTalk's customer support is lacking. Their chat function is full of hitches and hurdles, so you're better off calling them. Even then, issues can take a frustrating amount of time to resolve.
PureTalk customer service phone number: (877) 820-7873
Read what real customers are saying about this carrier in our PureTalk user reviews.
AT&T vs PureTalk comparison
Keep your AT&T phone, number & coverage: Save $564 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G/5G Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G & 5G||Unltd*||$75/mo||$900/yr|
|PureTalk||AT&T 4G & 5G||6GB||$30/mo||$336/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$45/mo||$564/yr|
This online carrier's cell phone offering has increased over the years. It includes recent Apple iPhone releases, Samsung Galaxy models, and cheaper Nokia devices.
Their two biggest data plans come with a discount on phones bought through their website. Be aware their 30-day risk-free guarantee is not extended to devices and you'll need to double-check terms and conditions with the carrier if you run into any issues.
Bring your own phone to PureTalk
PureTalk will simply provide you with a prepaid SIM card. You pop it into your cell phone and follow the provider's instructions. You need an unlocked phone (meaning your carrier has released it for use on another network). You can check that your phone is compatible with PureTalk before you sign up and the rest is a breeze.
Just make sure you don't cancel your current phone plan until you've ported your phone number over to the new carrier.
Switching to PureTalk is super simple. You can do it in three easy steps.
- Choose a plan. The more lines you add, the more you save.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure old bills are paid and your GSM device is unlocked.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old one. If you've opted for a new device, it should come ready to go. If you're bringing your own phone, you'll need to order a PureTalk SIM card, which costs $3 online. Then follow the instructions to get set up.
Verdict - Is PureTalk good?
PureTalk has proudly supported active-duty military and veterans since launching in 2014.
This alternative carrier is ideal if you're looking for a low-data limit cell phone plan, or you want to add multiple lines to your account. However, for the data-hungry cell phone user you might be better placed to compare them with other prepaid cell phone plans.
What is PureTalk?
PureTalk is low-cost carrier that operates on the national AT&T 5G & 4G LTE network. They have a range of prepaid cell phone plans available to suit most cell phone users.
How much is PureTalk?
PureTalk offers a number of cell phone plans starting at $15 per month. Unlike the large networks that only offer unlimited data plans, you only pay for the data that you actually use.
MoneySavingPro is here to bring transparency to telecoms, putting power back in your hands. This guides everything we do.
- We've got high standards. We use our industry expertise to find carriers that reach these standards. We all deserve the best value for money, choice, and customer experience.
- We care about accuracy. MoneySavingPro is run by cell phone geeks and money-saving obsessives. Our content team researches everything thoroughly so that information you read here will give you the whole picture. Everything we do is backed up by the data.
- We keep things simple. It's our job to break down what you need to know, so you can make informed choices.