Slim founded America Movil which is a Mexican telecommunications corporation that's also responsible for TracFone, another MVNO. You've probably already heard of a lot of other MVNOs such as Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile.
Straight Talk is an Unusual MVNO because it provides cellular coverage through all four of the "big four" major networks.
Compare Now: Straight Talk cell phone plans
This means you get the same great coverage you're already receiving but at a much lesser price! Or, if you're not happy with your service now you can pick any of the other three major carriers and use their network through Straight Talk.
Ready to hear more about this amazing MVNO? Read on!
Table of Contents
Straight Talk Highlights
- Choose from coverage on any one of the four major networks - AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon
- Prepaid wireless plans - no contract, credit check, or activation fees
- Bring your own device from any network or buy a Straight Talk phone
- Keep your phone number and stay on your network
- Mobile hotspot/tethering is against Straight Talk terms of service
- International talk and text available as an add-on calling card or as a component of a complete cell phone plan
- 7-day customer support by phone, from 8am to 11:45pm
Straight Talk Cell Phone Plans
Straight Talk talks a good game – and they can back it up – but when it comes to pricing prepaid phone plans certainly aren't the cheapest MVNO. They will however, save you over a hundred dollars per year if you switch.
Let's take a look at the savings if you're a Sprint customer. The average Sprint unlimited plan customer only uses around 5GB of data/month. Straight talk doesn't have a 5GB data plan to compare that to but their next biggest one is 10GB (almost double what you're using as a Sprint unlimited customer).
If you switch to Straight Talk's 10GB data plan you'd be saving $180 per year.
Of course, they do offer other plans for lighter data users as well as an unlimited plan but that plan wouldn't save you much in the long run. Their three main plans come with unlimited talk and text.
Straight Talk Pricing: Is It Competitive?
|Carrier||Network Coverage||Data Limit||Monthly Price||Annual Price|
|Sprint||Sprint 4G LTE||Unlimited*||$60||$720|
|Straight Talk||Sprint 4G LTE||10GB||$45||$600|
|* Avg Sprint user on unlimited plan uses 5GB data|
Straight Talk Coverage
Straight Talk is an MVNO, so it doesn't own its own wireless network. It relies on the services of Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile networks, meaning that its coverage is both reliable and extensive.
In fact, Straight Talk service covers 99.6 percent of the United States. You can compare the coverage between all four carriers.
Straight Talk Phones
Straight Talk gives you three different phone options when you switch to them:
- Bring your own phone –Straight Talk operates on a GSM and CDMA networks, you'll have not trouble bringing your device from any other carriers. You'll just want to change the APN settings (don't worry, it's super simple) and you should make sure your device is unlocked.
- Buy a new phone – Straight Talk offers a wide selections of phones through their site including the newest iPhone and Samsung Galaxy. Be sure to keep in mind that if you choose to make monthly payments on your device your bill will go up.
- Buy a refurbished phone - You'll save the most money - up to 50% off retail - by shopping for compatible Straight Talk refurbished phones. Compare prices and features on all your favorite Apple and Galaxy devices from reputable sellers.
Once you have your device you can order your Straight Talk SIM card online.
Key Considerations When Choosing Straight Talk
Switching to an MVNO can be scary for anyone who hasn't heard a lot about them. Here are a few questions you should ask yourself if you're considering switching to Straight Talk:
- How much data do you need each month?
- Will you bring your own phone (BYOP) or will you need one?
- Do you need a single-line plan or a family plan?
Straight Talk plans give you coverage from any of the "big four" major networks but at a discounted price. Compare their offers with other cheap cell phone plans to ensure you're getting the best deal.
Find out what real customers are saying in the Straight Talk user reviews section.
Don't forget, you can pair your new low-cost plan with more savings by purchasing a refurbished phone instead of overpaying for a new one! And it's also well worth selling your old device for cash online.
Compare Now: Straight Talk cell phone plans