MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
Maybe you own an iPhone 13 or are looking to upgrade, but the good news is that the Apple iPhone 13 does support eSIM.
If you want to know more about the iPhone 13, how to make the switch to a cheap eSIM plan, and which carriers have your back, keep reading!
eSIM on the iPhone 13
All iPhone 13 models support dual SIMs. Dual SIM support on the iPhone 13 includes one physical SIM slot and one eSIM.
This is fantastic news if you're looking to switch to a more flexible and convenient plan. Plus, pairing it with an MVNO can help you save hundreds of dollars on your cell phone bill.
With dual SIM, you can have different mobile networks, phone numbers, or local data plans, all on the same device. Some newer iPhones have dual eSIM support (eSIM-only), eliminating the use of a physical SIM card slot completely.
How to double-check if my iPhone 13 supports eSIM
If you're still unsure, you can check in your phone's settings:
- Open the "Settings" app.
- Scroll down and tap "Cellular" or "Mobile Data."
- Look for an option like "Add Cellular Plan" or "Add Data Plan."
- If you see this option, then your iPhone model is eSIM compatible.
How to install eSIM on an iPhone 13
Setting up an eSIM on your iPhone 13 is surprisingly simple:
- Get the activation details: When signing up for a new eSIM plan or carrier, they'll provide you with a QR code or activation details specific to your eSIM.
- Access the settings: Open your iPhone's "Settings" app.
- Cellular: Tap on "Cellular" in the settings menu.
- Add cellular plan: Select "Add Cellular Plan."
- Scan the QR code: Use your iPhone's camera to scan the QR code given by your carrier.
- Activate: Follow the prompts to activate your new eSIM.
Benefits of eSIM on the iPhone 13
- Cost savings: One of the main reasons consumers are turning to eSIMs is the potential for cost savings. eSIMs make it easy to switch carriers, so you can shop around and trial different carriers and plans before canceling your existing plan.
- Flexibility: With a second SIM, you can simultaneously activate multiple plans, each on a different mobile network. This is perfect for those who frequently travel or want to maintain both a personal and business line.
- No physical SIM card hassle: Say goodbye to fumbling around with tiny prepaid SIM cards. eSIMs eliminate the need for physical cards, making the switching process smoother.
Disadvantages of eSIM on the iPhone 13
- Limited carrier support: While eSIM adoption is growing, not all carriers support eSIM technology yet. It's essential to ensure that your chosen carrier offers eSIM compatibility before making the switch.
- Device lock-in: Some carriers might lock your eSIM to their network for a specific period. This can limit your flexibility in switching carriers.
What other iPhones support eSIM?
While the iPhone 13 is eSIM-compatible, you'll be glad to know that several other iPhone models also embrace this technology.
Check the complete list below to see what other iPhone models have eSIM support:
- iPhone SE 2 (2020)
- iPhone SE 3 (2022)
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 15
- iPhone 15 Plus
- iPhone 15 Pro
- iPhone 15 Pro Max
All of the above iPhones support eSIM functionality but still have a physical SIM card tray, apart from the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 series, which are eSIM-only.
eSIM support on iPhone 13 FAQs
With the iPhone 13 and other compatible models, switching to an eSIM is straightforward, and the benefits are significant. From cost savings to increased flexibility, eSIMs are revolutionizing how we approach our cell phone plans.
Just remember to check the low-cost carrier's compatibility to find the best plan for your needs.