MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
If you own an iPhone XR and you're looking to bring it up to speed with the latest technology, you're in luck, as the iPhone XR does support eSIM.
eSIM plans make it easier to switch carriers and stay tuned as I'm going to delve into eSIMs, focusing primarily on the iPhone XR. I'll also cover how eSIM-compatible phones can help you save up to half of your current cell phone bill when coupled with a low-cost carrier.
So, let's dive in.
eSIM on the iPhone XR
Like most newer generation smartphones, the Apple iPhone XR does support eSIM technology. An eSIM, also called an embedded SIM, is a digital SIM card that eliminates the need for a physical card.
So you can activate your cell phone plan without swapping out that tiny nano SIM. However, the iPhone XR does support dual SIMs, which means you can opt to have a physical SIM card as well as an eSIM if you want.
With dual SIM, you can have two phone numbers on different cell phone plans or networks on one device.
This is ideal if you have separate personal and business lines or if you travel internationally on a regular basis and want to combine the numbers on one phone. And, if you enable cellular data switching, your phone will switch to whichever line has the best mobile data service, depending on coverage and availability.
Some newer iPhones have dual eSIM support (eSIM-only), getting rid of the need for a traditional SIM card slot completely.
How to install eSIM on an iPhone XR
Installing an eSIM on your iPhone is super simple whether you keep the same carrier or switch to a new one. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
- Check compatibility: Ensure your carrier supports eSIM data activation and your iPhone is unlocked.
- Contact your carrier: Reach out to your carrier to request an eSIM activation. They'll give you a QR code or activation details.
- Access settings: Go to "Settings" > select "Cellular" > tap "Add Cellular Plan."
- Scan the QR code: Use your iPhone's camera to scan the QR code.
- Activate eSIM: Follow the prompts to activate the eSIM and complete the setup.
- Choose a primary line: Pick which SIM phone number you'd like to be your default number. Use the cellular settings to switch phone numbers quickly.
Benefits of eSIM on the iPhone XR
- Flexibility: With eSIMs, you can easily switch between different carriers and plans without the hassle of physically swapping SIM cards.
- Dual SIM functionality: iPhones with eSIM capability can use an eSIM and physical SIM card simultaneously, allowing you to have two different phone numbers on one device.
- Travel convenience: When traveling internationally, you can easily add a local eSIM to your iPhone, avoiding expensive roaming charges.
- Reduced clutter: Say goodbye to the need for physical SIM cards and the tiny tools required to open SIM card trays.
Disadvantages of eSIM on the iPhone XR
- Limited carrier support: Not all carriers offer eSIM plans, which could limit your options.
- Device lock-in: Some carriers may lock your iPhone to their network when using an eSIM, restricting your ability to switch carriers.
- Potential activation delays: Depending on your carrier, eSIM activations may not be instant, causing temporary disruptions in service.
What other iPhones support eSIM?
Apart from this device, several other iPhone models support eSIM technology.
eSIM-compatible iPhones include:
- iPhone SE 2 (2020)
- iPhone SE 3 (2022)
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 15
- iPhone 15 Plus
- iPhone 15 Pro
- iPhone 15 Pro Max
There are a range of iPhones that support eSIM functionality but still have a physical SIM card tray, apart from the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 series, which are eSIM-only.
eSIM support on iPhone XR FAQs
The iPhone XR, along with several other iPhone models, supports eSIM, making it easier than ever to switch to a cheaper cell phone plan and regain control of your monthly expenses.
Remember to consider both the pros and cons of eSIMs, and don't hesitate to reach out to your carrier for guidance during the activation process.