These smaller operators typically buy service on one of the big four networks and resell it to you at a lower cost. In the case of Boost, the carrier is actually part of the Sprint company (so, naturally, it runs on Sprint's network).
In business since 2002, Boost Mobile offers the features and feel of a major carrier without the commitments and credit checks. This prepaid cell phone carrier even has a family plan option, unlike the majority of MVNOs. And, they have brick-and-mortar retail stores in case you prefer to do business in person.
COMPARE NOW: Boost Mobile Cell Phone Plans
Another advantage that you won't find with most smaller carriers is Boost's generous suite of international service options. You can choose to add just Canada and Mexico to your monthly plan, or you can add minute packs for a country of your choice. You can even buy just international texting as an add-on.
There's no doubt you're getting an established name and network behind your service, should you choose this carrier. What about other things like price and coverage?
Keep reading to find out in our Boost Mobile review.
Table of Contents
Boost Mobile Highlights
- Owned by Sprint, runs on the major carrier's nationwide network
- Prepaid service - no contract, credit check, or extra fees
- Bring your own phone (Sprint-compatible) or choose from a wide selection of new and pre-owned Boost phones
- Mobile hotspot permitted, plus up to 50 GB of hotspot data available with top-tier plans
- International service and roaming available as add-on packs
- Customer support available by phone - 4am - 8pm PST Monday to Friday, 4am - 7pm weekends
Boost Mobile Cell Phone Plans
Whether or not Boost's pricing is competitive is highly dependent upon what you're looking for. If you're shopping for a single line and you're a heavy data user, Boost is a little cheaper than Sprint but the savings aren't overwhelming.
If you're in the market for a family plan you'll save slightly more unless you choose Boost Unlimited Plus or Ultimate Unlimited (premium plans which come with perks like HD video streaming and priority care service).
Key Considerations When Choosing Boost Mobile
- Is there coverage at my location?
- Do I need multiple lines?
- Do I need a carrier with international service?
- Will you bring your own phone or buy one?
Boost Mobile Pricing: Is It Competitive?
|Carrier||Network Coverage||Data Limit||Monthly Price||Annual Price|
|Sprint||Sprint 4G LTE||Unlimited*||$60||$720|
|Boost Mobile||Sprint 4G LTE||Unlimited*||$50||$600|
|* Avg Sprint unlimited plan customer uses 5GB data|
Boost Mobile Coverage
Boost Mobile runs on the same network as Sprint. You'll get the same reliability and coverage as customers with Sprint, just under a different name.
Figuring out whether or not you can get service with this provider is as easy as checking the Sprint coverage map.
Sprint has a history of coming in fourth among the big four carriers in terms of 4G signal availability (OpenSignal). It's important to keep in mind, however, that the coverage difference between each network is very small - a matter of a couple of percentage points. Unless you live in a very rural area you're likely to get a strong signal with Boost.
Boost Mobile Cell Phone Deals
Boost Mobile Phone Options
You've got three choices for how to get a device when you switch to Boost:
- Bring your own phone - You can only do this if you already have a Boost or Sprint phone. This carrier is very selective about the devices they allow you to bring. If you bring your own phone you will need to purchase a Boost Mobile SIM card.
- Buy new - Boost sells a large selection of devices in all price ranges, from a low-end flip phone to the newest flagship smartphones. You can get financing with no credit check, but only if you've been a customer for at least a year and made all of your mobile service payments on time.
- Buy a Boost compatible refurbished phone - We make it easy for you to compare prices and features from top sellers side-by-side in seconds. You'll find all of your favorites, regardless of whether you're an Android or iPhone devotee.
Because you can only use a compatible phone with this carrier you probably won't have to change your device to Boost APN settings. Just in case though, we've laid out simple instructions for you.
Boost doesn't undercut Sprint's pricing by much, but it does beat them.
The biggest advantage with Boost lies in the fact that it provides prepaid, no-contract plans. You won't find a significant difference in the monthly cost, but if you want to be on the Sprint network you won't have to jump through credit check hoops.
COMPARE NOW: Boost Mobile Cell Phone Plans