Tello review in October
24/7 customer support
Budget friendly family plans
Coverage in rural areas
Tello is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, or MVNO for short.
This alternative carrier is powered by T-Mobile, a major player in the telecoms world.
Tello has a stand-out reputation for customer service. Read on for a more detailed review that'll help you decide if this carrier is for you.
Tello prepaid plans & pricing
|Unlimited Talk & Text||T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||0GB||$8|
Offering super flexible, cheap cell phone plans, Tello is one of the most competitive carriers out there. Build your own plan around your budget, and factor in your cell phone needs.
All Tello plans come with a bunch of standard features, like 4G LTE speeds, free tethering for you to hotspot multiple devices, unlimited text, plus minutes that can be used to call the US, Canada, Mexico, China, and Romania.
With Tello, your plan is prepaid so it'll automatically renew every 30 days. If you're not happy you're free to cancel and move on. You also have the freedom to change the kind of plan you're on each month, adding or taking away features as you please.
T-Mobile vs Tello Plan Comparison
Keep your T-Mobile phone, number & coverage: Save $612 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|T-Mobile||T-Mobile 4G LTE||Unltd*||$70/mo||$840/yr|
|Tello||T-Mobile 4G LTE||4GB||$19/mo||$228/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$51/mo||$612/yr|
Tello Mobile benefits
- Same quality coverage: Tello is powered by the T-Mobile 4G LTE & 5G networks, so you can rely on the same quality coverage.
- Lower prices: a traditional cell phone plan costs around $80 a month. With Tello, plans can start at under $10.
- Big monthly savings: save as much as $600 a year on each line by switching.
- Simple switching process: you'll be up and running with a new plan in a few days.
- Keep your phone and number: there's no need to change your number or buy an expensive new smartphone. Bring your own phone and keep the same number.
- Customize your plan: pick a plan that suits your budget, then adjust on a monthly basis.
- Tons of flexibility: Tello are commitment-free. There's no contract so you can easily switch again if your needs change or you find a better deal. Plans are prepaid, meaning no contract, credit check, or activation fee. You can bring your own phone if it's compatible, or choose from a modest selection of new or save more by opting for a refurbished device. There's a money-back guarantee on phones and you can keep your current phone number.
- Buy online: there's no need to visit a store. Choose and buy your Tello plan online, quickly and easily.
- Great customer support: Tello care about getting it right for their customers and have 24/7 customer support.
Tello Mobile coverage
Tello offers nationwide coverage, powered by the T-Mobile network. Check the Tello coverage map to see how it'll work for you.
What networks does Tello Mobile use?
Tello operates on T-Mobile's national 4G LTE & 5G network.
Network coverage ratings
Tello hotspot & tablet data plans
Tello Mobile do data plans of all shapes and sizes, starting at 1GB and including an unlimited option.
At the time of writing this, their unlimited data option gives 25GB. Most people use around 5GB a month, so before opting for an unlimited data plan figure out how much data you use with our data calculator tool. Then, take a look at Tello's set-data plan options. If you find you have too much or too little, you've got the freedom to add or take away data each month.
All Tello's data plans come with unlimited data usage, but be aware once you run out of your monthly 4G LTE allowance, your phone will slow down as speeds will be throttled at 2GB.
Tello data speeds
Tello's plans are powered by T-Mobile's 4G LTE and 5G networks. Expect an all-around speedy service on your device with national coverage.
Tello Mobile features
Not all alternative carriers offer international service, but Tello does. The minutes in your plan can be used to call anywhere in the US, Canada, Mexico, China, and Romania. You can get international calls to more countries as an add on. So you can mix pay as you go international calling with your regular cell phone plan.
Again, this is a feature not all carriers are going to offer. With Tello, it comes as standard. No sneaky bill-shaped surprises if you need to use your phone to get another device online when you're out and about. All Tello plans come with hotspot support as standard.
If you're stuck for signal when you're out and about, you can still make calls and text with a plan from Tello by using Wi-Fi. You'll need to make sure you have this feature activated on your device for it to work.
Tello family plans
|Tello||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
|Unlimited Talk & Text||$8||$16$8/line||$24$8/line||$32$8/line|
Tello Mobile is geared toward one line plans, but you can bag a bargain opting for a family plan, or paying for multiple months in advance. They offer a range of incentives for multi-line and multi-month plans. All family plans come with no additional fees, and can be managed under one account.
Tello customer service
The comparison table below shows Tello user ratings are significantly higher than all of the major carriers.
|CARRIER||TRUSTPILOT USER RATING|
This carrier is known for its great customer service and has 24/7 support. Check the comparison table below to see user ratings for Tello. As you can see, customers are full of praise, and they're ranked higher than other major carriers.
Tello customer service phone number: (866) 377-0294 (or dial 611 from your Tello device)
Tello cell phone plans comparison
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||4GB||$15** $45 for 3 Months Service|
|Twigby||Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||5GB||$12.50** 50% Off for 6 Months|
|Ting||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||Unltd||$25** $20 Off for 3 Months|
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile||Unltd||Unltd||30GB||$30Free Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM|
Tello cell phone deals
If you're looking for a new device to go with your cheaper plan, you'll find deals on a range of devices through Tello. They have iPhones, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, and Motorola cell phones for you to choose from. Compare Tello cell phone deals to ensure you get the very best price.
Compare iPhone deals
|Model||Condition||Memory||Compatibility||Price||Apple iPhone 11||New||64GB||AT&T||$499||Apple iPhone 11 Max||New||64GB||AT&T||$899||Apple iPhone 11 Pro||New||64GB||AT&T||$799||Apple iPhone 12||New||64GB||T-Mobile||$729||Apple iPhone 12 mini||New||64GB||T-Mobile||$629||Apple iPhone 12 Pro||New||128GB||Verizon||$999||Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max||New||128GB||T-Mobile||$999||Apple iPhone 13||New||128GB||T-Mobile||$829||Apple iPhone 13 mini||New||128GB||T-Mobile||$729||Apple iPhone 13 Pro||New||128GB||T-Mobile||$999||Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max||New||128GB||T-Mobile||$1,099||Apple iPhone SE||New||64GB||T-Mobile||$399|
How to switch to Tello
It's never been easier to switch. Let's break it down.
- Customize your plan. Choose a plan with Tello that suits your cell phone needs.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure your old bills are paid up and your phone is unlocked. If you're getting a new device through Tello, transferring data from one to another is simple. Even if you're going from an iPhone to Android, and vice versa.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old account. If you've got a new device with your Tello plan, it should be ready to use when it arrives. It you're bringing your own phone then you'll need to follow the instructions with the new SIM card kit that Tello will send to you in the post.
Bring your own phone to Tello
Tello will simply provide you with a prepaid SIM card. You pop it into your cell phone and follow the provider's instructions. You need an unlocked phone (meaning your carrier has released it for use on another network). You can check that your phone is compatible with Tello before you sign up and the rest is a breeze.
Just make sure you don't cancel your current phone plan until you've ported your phone number over to the new carrier.
Tello Mobile FAQs
What network does Tello Use?
Tello operates on the nationwide T-Mobile 4G LTE & 5G network.
What phones work with Tello?
T-Mobile will migrate to the GSM network, use our IMEI checker to see which carriers your phone is compatible with. All current customers with a CDMA device will migrate over to the GSM network and Tello customer support can help current customers with this.
Does Tello have hotspot options?
Yes. Not all carriers offer this as standard, but Tello does. You can use your phone as a hotspot with all of their plans.
How much does Tello cost?
Tello offers a range of cheap cell phone plans starting at $10 per month.
Recap - Is Tello Good?
Tello Mobile is well-rated by their customers, and by our Money Savers. Plans are prepaid, making them super flexible. You've got the option to leave, or add and take away features each month.
By switching to Tello Mobile you stand to save as much as $600 per year, per line without sacrificing the features you enjoy right now.