Tello cell phone service review
No contract. No bulk buying.
24/7 friendly customer support
4G LTE/5G nationwide coverage
Free Hotspot & Wi-Fi Calling
Free international calls to 60+ countries
Coverage in rural areas
Tello is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, or MVNO. This alternative carrier is powered by T-Mobile 5G and 4G LTE wireless network.
Tello has great value plans and a stand-out reputation for customer service.
Read on for a more detailed review that'll help you decide if this carrier is for you.
Tello family plans
|Plan||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
|Tello Unlimited Talk & Text||$8||$16$8/line||$24$8/line||$32$8/line|
If you fancy a low-cost wireless service that's value for money, Tello plans can offer just that.
MVNOs offer the best cell phone plans with a range of budget-friendly options. Typically, plans can start from around $5 a month, depending on what you need from your cell phone plan.
We've listed a range of Tello's features and benefits to help you decide if Tello is the best option for you.
- Quality coverage: Powered by the T-Mobile network, you can expect the same nationwide coverage. To see if T-Mobile's network is the best coverage in your area you can check the Tello coverage map.
- Value for money: Tello SIM cards offer value and simplicity with their plans. Although you'll find the same features and coverage as a plan direct from T-Mobile, Tello could save you up to $600 a year.
- No contracts: As a prepaid carrier, you won't have to sign any long-term contracts. So if you're not happy with your plan there are no restrictions keeping you locked in.
- Phone and plan bundles: If you're interested in purchasing a new cell phone, you can find a range of the best Tello phones to choose from. Just like a phone and plan bundle from one of the major networks, but with affordable options.
- Bring your own phone: If you don't want to upgrade your phone you can easily bring your own, with Tello bring your own phone plans. You'll just need to check your cell phone is fully compatible.
- Easy set up: Being online-based, it's quick to choose and purchase your Tello SIM starter kit. Once your SIM card's arrived, it's easy to set up and you'll be up and running with a few simple steps.
- Unlimited talk & text: Most MVNOs provide free calls with their plans by offering unlimited talk and text.
- 4G LTE coverage: Operating on the T-Mobile network, you'll receive their 4G LTE data speeds.
- 5G high-speed data: If you have a 5G smart mobile device you can get access to the fast 5G network (where it's available) at no extra cost with Tello 5G plans.
- Unlimited plans: Depending on how much data you want, Tello unlimited plans offer unlimited everything at half the price of a T-Mobile unlimited plan.
- Multiple lines: Most prepaid carriers offer a discount for additional lines purchased, making Tello family plans a great money-saving option when buying more than one line.
- Customer service: Find out what current Tello customers are saying with Tello customer reviews.
- Promo codes: You can compare Tello deals and promo codes to see what savings are currently available, however, these deals change regularly.
How much is Tello?
|Tello Unlimited Talk & Text||0GB||T-Mobile||$8|
|Tello Unlimited Data||Unltd||T-Mobile||$29|
What network does Tello use?
Tello offers nationwide coverage, powered by the T-Mobile 4G LTE & 5G network.
Does Tello have good coverage?
- International calls - Not all alternative carriers offer international service, but Tello does. The minutes in your plan can be used to call anywhere in the US, Canada, Mexico, China, and Romania. You can get international calls to more countries as an add on. So you can mix pay as you go international calling with your regular cell phone plan.
- Tethering - Again, this is a feature not all carriers are going to offer. With Tello, it comes as standard. No sneaky bill-shaped surprises if you need to use your phone to get another device online when you're out and about. All Tello plans come with hotspot support as standard.
- Wi-Fi calling - If you're stuck for signal when you're out and about, you can still make calls and text with a plan from Tello by using Wi-Fi. You'll need to make sure you have this feature activated on your device for it to work.
Tello customer service
The comparison table below shows Tello user ratings are significantly higher than all of the major carriers.
This carrier is known for its great customer service and has 24/7 support. Check the comparison table below to see user ratings for Tello. As you can see, customers are full of praise, and they're ranked higher than other major carriers.
Tello customer service phone number: (866) 377-0294
T-Mobile vs Tello comparison
Keep your T-Mobile phone, number & coverage: Save $612 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G/5G Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|T-Mobile||T-Mobile 4G & 5G||Unltd*||$70/mo||$840/yr|
|Tello||T-Mobile 4G & 5G||5GB||$19/mo||$228/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$51/mo||$612/yr|
If you're looking for a new device to go with your cheaper plan, you'll find deals on a range of devices through Tello. They have iPhones, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, and Motorola cell phones for you to choose from. Compare Tello cell phone deals to ensure you get the very best price.
|Phone||Carrier||Network||Monthly Price||Total Cost||NUU Mobile F4L 4GB||Tello||T-Mobile 5G/4G LTE||-||$79||Motorola Moto G Play 32GB||Tello||T-Mobile 5G/4G LTE||-||$169||Motorola Moto G Power 64GB||Tello||T-Mobile 5G/4G LTE||-||$189||Motorola Moto G Stylus 128GB||Tello||T-Mobile 5G/4G LTE||-||$189||Samsung Galaxy S22 128GB||Tello||T-Mobile 5G/4G LTE||-||$799|
Bring your own phone to Tello
Tello will simply provide you with a prepaid SIM card. You pop it into your cell phone and follow the provider's instructions. You need an unlocked phone (meaning your carrier has released it for use on another network). You can check that your phone is compatible with Tello before you sign up and the rest is a breeze.
Just make sure you don't cancel your current phone plan until you've ported your phone number over to the new carrier.
It's never been easier to switch. Let's break it down.
- Customize your plan. Choose a plan with Tello that suits your cell phone needs.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure your old bills are paid up and your phone is unlocked. If you're getting a new device through Tello, transferring data from one to another is simple. Even if you're going from an iPhone to Android, and vice versa.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old account. If you've got a new device with your Tello plan, it should be ready to use when it arrives. It you're bringing your own phone then you'll need to follow the instructions with the new SIM card kit that Tello will send to you in the post.
Verdict - Is Tello good?
Tello Mobile is well-rated by their customers, and by our Money Savers. Plans are prepaid, making them super flexible. You've got the option to leave, or add and take away features each month.
By switching to Tello Mobile you stand to save as much as $600 per year, per line without sacrificing the features you enjoy right now.
What network does Tello Use?
Tello operates on the nationwide T-Mobile 4G LTE & 5G network.
How much does Tello cost?
Tello offers a range of cheap cell phone plans starting at $10 per month.
MoneySavingPro is here to bring transparency to telecoms, putting power back in your hands. This guides everything we do.
- We've got high standards. We use our industry expertise to find carriers that reach these standards. We all deserve the best value for money, choice, and customer experience.
- We care about accuracy. MoneySavingPro is run by cell phone geeks and money-saving obsessives. Our content team researches everything thoroughly so that information you read here will give you the whole picture. Everything we do is backed up by the data.
- We keep things simple. It's our job to break down what you need to know, so you can make informed choices.