Cox Affordable Connectivity Program
MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
In today's world, internet is a necessity for a wide range of tasks. The stress of struggling to cover your home internet or cell phone bill can be overwhelming.
If you find yourself in this situation, consider the Cox Affordable Connectivity Program as a lifeline to stay connected.
In this guide, I'll walk you through the details of the Cox ACP, including eligibility requirements and how to enroll.
What is the Cox Affordable Connectivity Program?
The Affordable Connectivity Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) initiative that replaces the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB).
This government assistance program aims to ensure that low-income households remain connected to essential services. It does so through a credit on broadband services, plus a one-time discount on a connected device.
Cox is a participating provider in both the internet subsidy and the device discount, offering discounted and even free internet service to qualifying households.
Cox ACP benefits
Eligible households can receive:
- Up to a $30 discount on your internet bill
- Up to $75 off internet services for residents living in qualifying Tribal lands
- A one-time discount of up to $100 off a laptop or desktop computer through PCs for People
Note that each eligible household is limited to one internet discount and a one-time device discount.
Cox ACP Internet plans
Your benefit can be applied to any Cox internet plan, including:
- ConnectAssist - 100 Mbps (free with ACP benefit)
- Go Faster - 250 Mbps (around $40/month with benefit)
- Go Even Faster - 500 Mbps (around $60/month with benefit)
Prices may vary over time or based on your location, so you'll want to consult your preferred participating provider for the most up-to-date plan options.
Cox ACP device discount
If you've been trying to find a provider that participates in the ACP device discount, we've got you covered.
Cox has partnered with PCs for People, a non-profit working to bridge the digital divide by providing low-cost computers. You can choose the laptop or desktop computer option, with a maximum copay of $49.99.
Cox ACP eligibility
You likely qualify if your household income falls at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Or, you can meet the criteria if you or a member of your household participates in one or more of the following government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Free or reduced-price school lunch program or school breakfast (including Community Eligibility Provision)
- WIC (Women, Infants, and Children)
- Federal Pell Grant (during the current award year)
- Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
Furthermore, your household may be eligible through Tribal-specific programs, such as:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
- Income-based Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution on Indian Reservations
If you participate in any of these programs and reside in qualifying Tribal lands, you could get $75 off your internet service. Learn more about the enhanced Tribal benefit.
How to apply for Cox ACP
To enroll in Cox's Affordable Connectivity Program, follow these steps:
- Gather the necessary documents (see below).
- Go to the Get Internet page and click on Apply.
- Follow the instructions to complete the application process.
- Once you're approved, visit the Cox ACP page to log in and complete the sign-up.
You'll typically see your benefit credited to your account on the first billing cycle.
Cox ACP required documents
You may be asked to provide additional documents to verify your identity and prove that you participate in a government assistance program.
These documents may include:
- Valid driver's license or state ID, passport, Green Card, or other forms of identification
- Benefit letter confirming your participation in programs like SNAP
- Benefit verification letter for SSI or similar programs
For more information, including acceptable documents, please refer to our guide on how to apply for ACP.
Other options for affordable Internet
If you don't meet the eligibility criteria for the Affordable Connectivity Program, don't fret. You can still save up to $700 annually by switching to a phone plan with a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO).
MVNOs operate on the AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon networks; in fact, Cox Mobile plans operate on the T-Mobile network, giving you dependable 4G LTE and 5G wireless coverage at about half the price.
Benefits of MVNOs
Switching to a low-cost carrier offers many advantages:
- Lower cost
- No commitments - switch anytime you want
- Customizable plans
- Bring your own phone & keep your number
- Features you want, like mobile hotspot
Compare phone plans to see how much money you should be saving on your wireless bill.
Cox Affordable Connectivity Program FAQs
Cox's Affordable Connectivity Program stands out because it's one of the few that offers both internet and device discounts. New and current Cox customers are eligible to apply.
Don't give up on saving money if you aren't eligible. Switching to a low-cost cell phone carrier can save you hundreds per year.