MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
Verizon, the second largest wireless provider in the US, is known for its expansive network. But when it comes to customer support, does bigger mean better?
On top of helping you save money here at MSP, I also strive to improve your mobile experience. To that end, our team of experts has dug into Verizon customer service to get answers to your frequently asked questions.
Below, you'll find a comprehensive guide to Verizon customer support, including how to reach them and pro tips for SIM activation and troubleshooting.
Verizon customer support
How can I talk to Verizon customer service?
Verizon offers multiple avenues for customer support, ensuring you can reach them in a way that suits your preferences:
- Customer support via phone: Reach out to a live representative by dialing 1-800-837-4966 (1-800-VERIZON). Verizon's customer service agents are there to assist with account inquiries, billing concerns, and troubleshooting for wireless service.
- Live chat support: For a convenient, text-based option, use Verizon's live chat feature to communicate with support agents instantly. It's a quick way to address basic inquiries without the need for a phone call.
- Verizon stores: Visit a Verizon store near you for things like device help or to pay your bill.
Verizon customer service number
Call 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966) to speak with a customer service agent.
Phone & live chat customer service hours
- Mon-Sat: 8 am to 7 pm local time
- Sun: 8 am to 5 pm local time
Activating your Verizon plan
The activation process for your Verizon SIM card can vary based on whether you have a physical SIM or an eSIM.
Additionally, the steps may differ if you're using Verizon prepaid services. Below, we've outlined the activation procedures for both types of SIM cards to help you get your Verizon service up and running smoothly.
Activating Verizon eSIM
- Log in to your My Verizon account.
- Navigate to the "Activate a Device on an Existing Line" page.
- Select the specific line you want to activate.
- If you have an iPhone 10-13, choose "IMEI2" for eSIM activation. For iPhone 14 users, select the desired IMEI for activation.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the activation process.
If you want to activate an eSIM-enabled Android on an existing Verizon line, please reach out to Verizon customer support by dialing *611 or calling 800-922-0204.
Activating a new line
To activate a new line with Verizon, you have two convenient options:
- Download the My Verizon app and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Go to the Bring Your Own Device page on the Verizon website, select your plan, and then follow the instructions provided.
Adding an eSIM line
If you want to add an eSIM line to your existing Verizon account, you can choose from the following methods:
- Open the My Verizon app and navigate to Shop > Bring your device. Follow the instructions provided.
- Visit the Add a Line page in your My Verizon account and proceed with the activation process.
Activating a Verizon physical SIM card
In most cases, your new Verizon physical SIM card is ready to use as soon as you insert it into your phone.
If you encounter any issues, follow these steps:
- Visit the Activate or Switch Device section in your My Verizon account on the Verizon website.
Activating a Verizon prepaid SIM card
To activate a Verizon prepaid SIM card, follow these steps based on your SIM card type:
For an eSIM-enabled phone
- Visit the Bring Your Own Device page to initiate the activation process for your Verizon prepaid plan.
For a physical SIM card
- Insert the SIM card into your phone.
- Power on your device.
- Choose "New Customer" when prompted.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
- Make a phone call to finalize the activation process.
Verizon network issues
It happens. Sometimes there are bumps in the road while trying to get connected. Here are some simple troubleshooting steps you can try:
- Restart your phone: Turn your device off and on or toggle airplane mode to reset the connection.
- Upgrade your phone: If your device is showing its age, consider upgrading to a device better suited for today's wireless technology.
- Software update: Ensure your device is running the latest operating system version to avoid potential issues.
Verizon customer service reviews
Customer support quality can vary widely, and Verizon is no exception. Some customers have had positive experiences, while others have faced challenges.
Here's a breakdown of the pros and cons of Verizon customer service:
Verizon customer service advantages
- Agents go above & beyond: Some Verizon customers have commented that their support representative went above and beyond the call of duty to provide billing solutions.
- Efficient chat help: Customers have shared that they received fast and effective help using the chat support option.
- Knowledgeable representatives: Several customers received detailed help with issues like international service.
Verizon customer service drawbacks
- Too many transfers: If your issue needs to be escalated, you may experience several transfers before reaching the correct department.
- Automated system frustrations: As is common in customer service, subscribers have mentioned frustration with trying to navigate robotic menus to reach a live person.
- Lack of resolution: A few customers have had issues with agents giving unclear answers to questions or being unable to resolve their problems.
There's no doubt about it - customer service experiences can differ significantly in the wireless industry.
Check out sources like Verizon's Trustpilot page for current perspectives on how Verizon customer support measures up.
Alternative Verizon phone plans
Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to pay Verizon prices to get on the Verizon network. Switching to Verizon MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operators) can save you up to $700 annually.
Verizon MVNOs operate on the same 5G & 4G LTE wireless network, ensuring you enjoy the same network quality at a significantly reduced cost.
- Savings of up to 50%
- No Contracts
- Flexible Plans Customized to Your Needs
- Desired Features Included
- Freedom to Switch Carriers Anytime
Even better, low-cost carriers tend to have customer service that's as good as or better than the big companies.
Compare affordable Verizon cell phone plans now for details on how much you could save on your wireless bill.
If you need help with your Verizon service, there are multiple support options, including in-person, phone, and chat assistance.
Because people's experiences can differ, it's a good idea to read recent reviews to help you decide if Verizon is the right wireless provider for you.
To save money on your Verizon plan, consider switching to a low-cost carrier for a winning combination of affordability and network quality.