Mint Mobile phone service in 2021
- Offers the latest phones with 0% finance
- Prepay months in bulk for more savings
- Reliable network coverage
- Works with most GSM phones
- No family plans
- Minimum 3 months
Mint Mobile is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO, for short). They buy space from a major network, then sell their coverage to you at a much better price. They're all about making cell phone plans more affordable and calling the big networks out on their BS.
We rate them, and they have a great reputation with their customers too. Let's take a closer look at this carrier and help you decide if it's the one for you.
Mint Mobile plans & pricing
|3GB Data||T-Mobile||3GB||$15** $45 for 3 Months Service|
|8GB Data||T-Mobile||8GB||$20** $60 for 3 Months Service|
|12GB Data||T-Mobile||12GB||$25** $75 for 3 months Service|
|Unlimited Data||T-Mobile||Unltd||$30** $90 for 3 months Service|
Mint have a pretty revolutionary attitude to cell phone plans. They operate a prepaid service, so you pay in advance for your data, minutes, and cell phone features. With their buy-more-save-more model, they pass even more savings on to their customers. This means the best deals are bagged when you bulk buy data in months.
Unlike other low cost carriers on the T-Mobile network, Mint Mobile's plans support the use or eSIMs, visual voicemail, international calling and VoLTE.
T-Mobile vs Mint Mobile Plan Comparison
Keep your T-Mobile phone, number & coverage: Save $600 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|T-Mobile||T-Mobile 4G LTE||Unltd*||$70/mo||$840/yr|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile 4G LTE||8GB||$20/mo||$240/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$50/mo||$600/yr|
Mint Mobile benefits
- Money-back guarantee - you have 7 days to claim a full refund if you're not happy with what Mint Mobile has to offer.
- Prepaid plans - that means no contract, credit check, or activation fees. You pay upfront for your service, ideal for monthly budget-minded money savers out there.
- Buy online: there's no need to visit a store, you can choose a plan from Mint Mobile online. This also means there are no expensive stores or retail space, so they can pass those savings on to you.
- Customer support: Mint Mobile have a great reputation when it comes to looking after customers and being easy to get a hold of. Either give them a call, or get a speedy response through their online chat function.
- Regular doses of Ryan Renolds' humor - no joke. Ryan Renolds owns a majority stake in Mint Mobile and he's regularly getting up to marketing mischief. He might even leave you a voicemail.
Mint Mobile coverage
Mint operates on T-Mobile's nationwide network, so you can rely on the same coverage. Take a look at this Mint Mobile coverage map to check how it will work for you.
What networks does Mint Mobile use?
Mint Mobile is powered by T-Mobile's 4G LTE network. Because T-Mobile offer customers 5G where available, it's something Mint Mobile customers can enjoy too.
Network coverage ratings
Mint Mobile data speeds
Being on the T-Mobile network is a major bonus for Mint Mobile because, unlike many other low cost carriers, they're able to offer the super speedy 5G service to customers. The rest of the time you'll have 4G LTE, which still brings broadband speeds to your cell phone.
Mint Mobile data plans
Mint are known for offering great data packages with their plans. Because they have this buy more save more model, you'll need to sign up for multiple months to get the best deal.
They recently added an unlimited plan to their offering too. While we recommend you check your data usage before paying a premium for unlimited, if you're someone who get's through a lot of data, this plan could save you a ton of cash compared to similar plans from T-Mobile.
Mint Mobile features
This is one of the stand out features that sets Mint Mobile apart from other low cost carriers. Sold in three-month packages, the more you buy at once, the lower your monthly plan rate will be.
The future of SIM cards has arrived and Mint Mobile is on board. They've got on the list of eSIM compatible carriers, making it easier than ever to move between carriers, without switching a physical SIM card. You'll need an eSIM compatible device for this feature to work.
Bring your own phone
You can keep your number and bring your current device with you to Mint Mobile if you're looking to save more money. Use our phone compatibility checker to find out which carriers your phone will work with.
You'll need to activate this feature, but yes. Mint Mobile offer visual voicemail with their cell phone plans.
International calls and roaming
You get free calling to Canada & Mexico, plus affordable rates to call 160+ locations with Mint Mobile.
Mint Mobile phone deals
Mint have a great range of smartphones for you to choose from which fit any budget. Choices include the latest iPhones and Android phones, like the Samsung Galaxy series. They also offer device financing.
Compare cell phone prices to ensure you're getting the best deal on a new phone.
Compare iPhone prices
|Phone||AT&T||Verizon||T-Mobile||Unlocked||iPhone 11||$349||$349||$349||$349||iPhone 11 Pro||$649||$649||$649||$649||iPhone 11 Pro Max||$749||$749||$749||$749||iPhone 12||$579||$579||$579||$579||iPhone 12 Mini||$479||$479||$479||$479||iPhone 12 Pro||$749||$749||$749||$749||iPhone 12 Pro Max||$849||$849||$849||$849||iPhone SE 2020||$149||$149||$149||$149||iPhone XR||-||$499||$499||$499|
Mint Mobile customer service
|CARRIER||TRUSTPILOT USER RATING|
With Mint Mobile, you won't sacrifice great customer support. You can get in touch with their customer service team by phone on weekdays and weekends, or 24/7 by virtual chat.
Want to read what other users are saying? Check out our Mint Mobile customer reviews.
How do Mint Mobile plans compare?
|Reach Mobile||Verizon||3GB||$15** $15 Off for 3 Months|
|Pure Talk||AT&T||4GB||$18.75** 25% Off for 3 Months|
|Twigby||Verizon||3GB||$10** 50% Off for 6 Months|
Switching to Mint Mobile
Switching to Mint is super simple. You can do it in three easy steps.
- Choose a plan with Mint. The more months you buy, the more money you save.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure old bills are paid and your phone is unlocked.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old one. If you've opted for a new device, it should come ready to go. If you're bringing your own phone, you'll need to follow the instructions with your new Mint Mobile SIM card. They'll send this to you in the post.
Mint Mobile FAQs
What network does Mint Mobile use?
Mint Mobile is powered by the T-Mobile 4G LTE and 5G network.
Is Mint Mobile a good cell phone provider?
There's no one size fits all when it comes to cell phone carriers. But Mint Mobile provides plans suitable for all needs, at low prices. For an MVNO they provide a good range of low cost data options.
Why is Mint Mobile so cheap?
Like most low-cost carriers, Mint Mobile doesn't have physical stores. They don't have the overheads that the four major networks do. Which also includes not spending your money on advertising or sponsoring stadiums.
Does Ryan Reynolds really own Mint Mobile?
It's true that in 2019, Ryan Reynolds brought a majority stake in Mint Mobile.
Mint Mobile is disrupting the cell phone plan status quo. We love the way they do business.
With the power of one of the largest, fastest networks behind its service, the prices are an incredible value.
You can save as much as $600 a year on each line by switching to this carrier.