Only need a cell phone package for you and a spouse, significant other, loved one, or friend?
Instead of paying up to $80 on your monthly bill per person (or more) with a major carrier, save significant money by choosing one of the best mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) two-line packages on the market.
What is an MVNO
If you've never considered a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) option before for your two-person mobile needs, you owe it to your wallet to learn why certain MVNOs are the top way to reduce your cell phone bills. At the same time, you need to understand how an MVNO works.
This allows MVNOs to resell customizable plans without the worry of added overhead. Remember, they're just leasing the space they need to give you an alternative to paying the high cost of the "big four" carriers.
Excited by what you hear? The biggest benefit of all may be what doesn't happen: You aren't forced into long-term contracts for your two-line phone plan. No more signing off for the next 24 months. Instead, you can use your phone knowing that you can make changes month-to-month.
Key Factors to Keep in Mind When Choosing an MVNO
Like all services, you'll want to pick the best MVNO for your needs. Before you decide upon a monthly service plan, consider these factors:
- Look at coverage maps to see which ones serve your area
- Consider each of your texting and talking habits. Do you need unlimited data? Check out our data usage calculator to see how much data you both use
- Decide if you're going to bring your own phone or purchase a new one. Or will you be looking into used phones?
Interested in learning more without having to create your own family cell phone plans comparison chart?
We've searched through the two-line cell phone plans that offer the most perks and give you the freedom to communicate through voice, text, and the Internet without high costs.
Best Two-Line Cell Phone Plan for Option-Seekers: Tello
Are you someone who thinks that you each might have unique needs depending on usage expectations? Tello's build-your-own plan deals will allow you to customize two plans that you can pay for together.
- Allows you to set up a plan without a contract- you can cancel any time without a penalty.
- Only pay for what you need
- Gives you a range of minutes choices from none at all to unlimited
- Gives you the choice of reconfiguring your plan whenever you need to make adjustments
- Allows you to call Mexico, China, and Canada for free- you'll also get free tethering
Best Two-Line Cell Phone Plan for Socially Conscious Users: TPO
Like to give back regularly to the community? With TPO Mobile, you can do a little good while getting a discount on your two cell phone lines.
TPO has taken social conscientiousness to a new level by giving away a hefty percentage of profits to charities the company supports.
- Gives away a percentage of your bill and the company's profits to a variety of nonprofits.
- Works well for people who aren't heavy cellular data users.
- Offers a discount if you enroll in AutoPay to make your billing cycle payments easier.
Best Two-Line Cell Phone Plan for Add-Ons: ROK Mobile
When you're looking for extras out of your two-line cell phone plans, ROK Mobile delivers. ROK's packages customarily include discounts at businesses and pharmacies, as well as telemedicine opportunities.
Although ROK limits its offers to a 5GB or 10GB line option, it's still a good deal with all its bonuses if they'll help you stay healthier and keep more cash in your pocket.
- Offers plans for any type of high-speed data users.
- Gives you free international calling, which is a boost for personal or business use.
- Has a generous coverage map thanks to its alliance with two major carriers.
- Gives you ROK Rewards to use at retailers and restaurants.
Best Package Options for Two-Line Cell Phone Plan: Red Pocket Mobile
Locking in a good two-line cell phone deal that has exactly what each of you need is a no-brainer with Red Pocket Mobile because of their many plans.
This makes it an instant favorite for a parent-child plan, giving the parent the opportunity to limit the child's talk, text, and data while still getting the security that comes from having a cell phone handy.
Red Pocket highlights:
- Uses all major carrier networks for coverage.
- Provides many options for using minutes and data.
- Has zero overage fees, saving you money if you use more than you expected.
- Offers a 30-day trial.
- Provides international calling to more than 70 countries including Canada and Mexico.
- Offers plans that start as low as $10 per month per line, affordable for occasional users or kids.
Best Two-Line Cell Phone Plan for Retirees: Twigby
People who aren't looking for all the bells and whistles that come with most plans will appreciate Twigby's no-nonsense plans for either a basic or smartphone.
The company's pay-as-you-go model gives you tremendous freedom to only spend when you use your phone, a boon for individuals who aren't tethered to their phones 24/7 or only want it for emergencies.
- Gives you the choice of having a no-data plan
- Offers an introductory special that provides 50 percent off for the first two months that you use the plan
- Offers plans that cost less than $10 per month for first six months
- Allows you to have any kind of phone, from basic to smartphone
- Offers overage protection to prevent sudden bill surges
Best Two-Line Cell Phone Plan for Hesitant MVNO Users: US Mobile
Worried that you're not going to love switching to an MVNO despite its unlimited choice or network coverage? US Mobile gives its newest customers breathing room by providing an early "out" within the first two weeks of service.
If you aren't satisfied, you'll get a refund for most of your costs.
US Mobile highlights:
- Offers seriously personalized plans, especially if you aren't interested in unlimited data usage, talk, and/or text
- Gives you the choice of setting up a mobile hotspot as part of your monthly cost
- Allows you to bring your own phone
- Features a raft of text, talk, and data options
Want to save even more money? Shop Refurbished
Do you need a new smartphone? As a frugal customer, why not consider getting a refurbished model instead of spending too much on a new phone that will lose its value the moment you remove it from the box.
Refurbished phones come in all types and from all brands. As long as you buy them from a verifiable source, you can be sure they're high quality.
Why buy refurbished?
- You can get off the "next big thing" rollercoaster. Most new phones actually have only a few upgrades. You won't be missing anything with last year's Samsung Galaxy S9 model, but you'll be saving money.
- If you break or crack your screen, third-party companies are ready to help you for a fraction of the cost of buying a new smartphone.
- New phones simply cost too much. You could easily spend $800 or more for a phone that you only use to text and occasionally surf the Internet.
Should You Stay or Should You Go?
Unless you're certain that your two-line plan is giving you the best possible price, amount of data you honestly need, or individualized choices, take a trip to each of these cell phone carriers' sites.
It doesn't hurt to investigate the world of MVNOs and discover why others are switching to user-friendlier cell phone service plan providers.
To save the most possible money follow these steps: