By Rob Webber - Last updated on
MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
GSM - which stands for Global System for Mobile Communications - is one of two types of wireless frequencies used for cell phone service. CDMA and GSM provide 3G service to fill in the gaps when your 4G signal drops.
Cell phone technology has evolved to allow most smartphones to run on both GSM and CDMA networks.
If you're unsure whether your device is compatible with a network, check with the carrier before buying your cell phone plan.
Is T-Mobile a CDMA or GSM network?
T-Mobile GSM network carriers
Of course, you don't have to go with the bigger (translation: expensive!) wireless carriers. MVNOs, or Mobile Virtual Network Operators, are smaller mobile providers that use the very same networks as the big guys. They just give you better rates.
T-Mobile GSM carrier benefits
- Service on the T-Mobile network: You get wireless service on the very same network as you do with the big guys.
- Cut your phone bill in half: MVNO plans typically cost 50% or less of the major providers' prices.
- Custom plans: MVNOs offer a variety of plans that let you choose what you need and pay for.
- No contracts: You retain total freedom to switch carriers any time you want.
- Keep your phone: You can bring your own phone (BYOP) and keep your phone number.
T-Mobile GSM carrier plans
|Tello 1GB plan||1GB||T-Mobile||$10/mo|
|Boost Mobile 5GB plan||5GB||T-Mobile||$5/mo** 66% Off for 3 Months|
|US Mobile 15GB plan||15GB||T-Mobile||$20/mo* FREE 10-Day Trial|
|Mint Mobile Unlimited plan||Unltd||T-Mobile||$30/mo** Only $90 for 3 Months|
|US Mobile 500MB plan||500MB||T-Mobile||$5/mo* FREE 10-Day Trial|
T-Mobile vs Mint Mobile comparison
Keep your T-Mobile phone, number & coverage: Save $600 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G/5G Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|T-Mobile||T-Mobile 4G & 5G||Unltd*||$70/mo||$840/yr|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile 4G & 5G||10GB||$20/mo||$240/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$50/mo||$600/yr|
How to switch to a T-Mobile GSM carrier
It's never been easier to switch. Let's break it down.
- Customize your plan. Whether you're looking for a truly unlimited plan, or in the market for something more basic, choose a plan to suit your cell phone needs.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure your old bills are paid up and your phone is unlocked. If you're getting a new device, transferring data from one to another is simple. Even if you're going from an iPhone to Android, and vice versa.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has been ported over. Once you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old account. If you've got a new device with your Tello plan, it should be ready to use when it arrives. If you're bringing your own phone then you'll need to follow the instructions with the new SIM card kit that Tello will send to you in the post.
Bring your unlocked GSM phone
You need simplicity in your life. The great thing about MVNOs is that switching carriers is easy.
You need an unlocked phone (meaning your carrier has released it for use on another network). Once you've checked with your new provider about phone compatibility the rest is a breeze.
Most low-cost carriers simply provide you with a prepaid SIM card. You pop it into your cell phone and follow the provider's instructions. Just make sure you don't cancel your current phone plan until you've ported your phone number over to the new carrier.
T-Mobile GSM carriers list
|Boost Mobile||AT&T & T-Mobile|
|Boom! Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile|
|Metro by T-Mobile||T-Mobile|
|Red Pocket||AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon|
|Straight Talk||T-Mobile, AT&T & Verizon|
|Ting||T-Mobile & Verizon|
|Tracfone||Verizon, AT&T & T-Mobile|
|Unreal Mobile||AT&T & T-Mobile|
|US Mobile||Verizon & T-Mobile|
|Wing||AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile|
|Good2Go Mobile||AT&T & T-Mobile|
|Walmart Family Mobile||T-Mobile|
|Boost Infinite||AT&T & T-Mobile|
Rob has 15+ years experience in the US and UK running price comparison sites for cell phone plans, smartphone deals, TV, and internet. He loves thinking outside of the box to build tools that empower consumers to make more informed decisions.