The amount of people choosing refurbished phones over new phones continues to climb and for good reason – there are so many benefits in it for you!
Learn what refurbished phones are, how to get the best price on a refurbished phone and all of the benefits you can reap from by making your next phone a refurbished one.
Table of Contents
Reasons People Are Choosing Refurbished/Used:
Whether the big phone companies like it or not, new phones just aren't as appealing anymore. The "next big thing" has become lackluster with the reality that there are minimal changes or upgrades between each generation of phone.
If you take an honest look at the differences between the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the Samsung Galaxy S9, you will discover that Samsung ultimately tweaked and fine-tuned their well-working S8 model and slapped a new name on it.
Other reasons people are choosing used and refurbished:
- Saves you money – Buying used/refurbished can give you an amazing quality phone without breaking the bank.
- Gives you the best bang for your buck – Buying a refurbished or used smartphone allows you to spend significantly less than a new phone.
- Repairs aren't costly – Growing third-party-repair stores are able to offer services, such as fixing your cracked screen or adjusting your charging port, at prices much less than replacing your phone altogether.
Key Considerations When Buying Refurbished
The refurbished market became the fastest growing smartphone segment in 2017. Only 25% of all pre-owned phones are sold back into the market and of these, only some are refurbished. This results in various grades of refurbished devices that attract different price points.
Because of the diversity in the market, some things you should consider buying refurbished include:
- Warranty – Some buyback sites that offer pre-owned phones will offer different warranties. For example, Gazelle only offers a 30-day warranty, while Decluttr generously offers a year warranty.
- Returns – No need to make a fuss if the refurbished phone you bought doesn't meet your needs - if it comes with a return policy. Typically, buyback sites will offer a 30-day return policy.
- Certification – If the refurbished smartphone you're looking into buying is "certified," this means it has undergone various testing for functionality and quality assurance before being sold.
- Payment Options – Some sites, like Gazelle, offer monthly payment options, which helps make purchasing that smartphone you've been eyeing even more affordable for you.
- Buy Time – Be sure to get the best deal when a new phone comes out. For example, the best time to buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 is when the Samsung Galaxy S9 has been released.
Used Vs Refurbished
Before you dive into buying from a buyback site, it is imperative to recognize that used phones and refurbished phones are not the same things.
Check out the elements of both used and refurbished phones:
- Previously owned/used.
- Potential surface damage.
- Should be fully operative.
- Previously owned/used.
- Undergone diagnostic tests.
- Replaced any faulty parts.
- Data is wiped clean.
- Should be fully operative.
- Repackaged for next buyer.
Benefits of Buying Refurbished vs. Used
Looking at what differentiates a used phone from a refurbished one, it is easy to see what benefits come with choosing refurbished. Unlike a used smartphone, a refurbished smartphone comes with:
- Diagnostic testing – Running diagnostic tests will ultimately help a phone perform better. Whether it be a faster internet connection, to having a better battery life, running a diagnostic test is always a good idea and it has already been taken care of for you when you buy a refurbished device.
- Replaced parts – When you purchase a refurbished phone you know all of the mobile device parts have been inspected and all faulty pieces have been replaced.
- Data wiped clean – You can have all of your accounts and apps set up in no time on your refurbished phone because all previous data has been wiped clean.
- Repackaged – Refurbished phones give you a new phone feel as they come to you completely repackaged.
Benefits of Buying Refurbished vs. New
Now that we've determined the benefits of buying refurbished or used, it's time to take a closer look at the reasons why buying refurbished trumps buying new.
Benefits of buying refurbished vs. new include:
- Saves your major moola – Perhaps the best benefit of buying refurbished is the money you will get to keep in your pocket that you would've otherwise shelled out for a new phone.
- Good for the environment – Buying refurbished is preventing that phone from ending up in a landfill and contributing towards pollution.
- Free shipping and returns from most providers – Unlike buying a new Samsung Galaxy online that has an additional cost for shipping, most buyback sites selling refurbished phones will offer free shipping and returns.
Where to Buy Refurbished Phones
There's no need to spend hours on end trying to find the best deal on your next mobile device, MoneySavingPro has already done the hard work for you. By reviewing our comparison tool, you will be sure to find a phone that has the best price for you.
But we didn't stop there, we have also scoured the internet to find the best places to buy used cell phones.
Put Even More Money In Your Pocket!
Switch to an MVNO
Your money-saving doesn't have to stop at buying a refurbished phone. Another surefire way to save money is switching to an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator).
Simply put, MVNO's are small carriers that lease service and tower storage for the "Big Four" – Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. MVNO companies buy in bulk, so they are able to turn around and sell it to consumers at a much more affordable price.
Other amazing benefits of MVNOs include:
- Prepaid phone plans with no contracts
- Customizable plans so only pay for what you use.
- High customer service ratings.
- Keep your current number.
- No loss in cell phone coverage.
Sell Your Old Phone
Another way to put extra money in your pocket is by selling your old cell phone online. While you could trade your phone in with your current carrier, you'll get a much better price selling it on your own.
If your phone is still functioning properly and doesn't have cosmetic damage, you can make major bank!
Upgrading your smartphone doesn't have to put a dent in your wallet.
You can save and potentially make money by: