You probably don't think too much about what happens to your smartphone once you trade it in for the "next big thing." Well, the ever-evolving smartphone industry is looking to change that. Major carriers are encouraging their customers to recycle their old phone.
Within recent years, used cell phones have created a niche market all of their own and it is on the rise as it is saving consumers some major green. According to market research firm Persistence Marketing research, experts believe the global revenue in this market will reach a staggering 38.9 billion dollars by 2025. Find out why your next phone purchase should be a used AT&T phone.
In This Guide
Key Considerations When Buying Used AT&T Phones
- Warranties – Having a warranty offered with your used smartphone purchase can take some worry out of buying online. The types and lengths of warranties will vary between buyback sites. For example, Gazelle offers 30-day warranties and Decluttr offers 12-month warranties.
- Certified – Worried about ensuring the pre-loved Samsung Galaxy you're looking at is still in good shape? Let your worries melt away when you see a phone that is "certified." These phones have been through rigorous tests and checked for functionality. Buyback sites, such as Gazelle, have a point system when it comes to certification so you know exactly what to expect.
- Insurance – While most used smartphones on the market come with warranties, they often don't include aspects like drops or loss. Purchasing an insurance plan essentially enhances or extends your phone's warranty, and often protects you if your device is lost or stolen.
- Shipping – A misconception of buying or selling a phone online is that it's expensive due to shipping costs. This myth can be debunked when it comes to buying used mobile devices online as most companies offer post and package at no cost to you!
- Returns – Considering return policies can offer peace of mind when buying a used smartphone, especially for the first time. Return policies are usually short, typically ranging from two weeks to thirty days, so be sure to read the fine print before you buy.
- Monthly payments options – Prefer installment payments? No problem! There are payment options on used AT&T phones through buyback sites, like Gazelle. Though these payments may include interest, you're still saving money over buying a brand-new device.
Used Isn't For You? Try Refurbished
Any product you find for sale that isn't listed as new can be assumed to be pre-owned in some fashion. There are terms thrown around in the smartphone market, like used and refurbished, that may seem like the same thing. However, these terms differ and should be considered before taking the plunge and purchasing your second-life device.
Used – used mobile devices can be defined as, "an item that may show signs of cosmetic wear and tear, but are fully functional." Characteristics of a used phone include:
- Previously owned/used
- Potential surface damage
- Should be completely operative
Refurbished – refurbished AT&T phones can be listed as, "a device that has been used, but is completely functional and operational, as well as undergone diagnostic testing." Characteristics of a refurbished phone include:
- Previously owned/used
- Should be completely operative
- Undergone diagnostic tests
- Any faulty parts have been replaced
- Data is wiped clean
- Repackaged for next buyer
Confused as which is best for you? We recommend a refurbished phone as they are fully tested, factory reset, and often certified. Benefits of buying a refurbished phone over a new phone include: saves you major moola, decreases your environmental footprint, and most come with extended warranty plans.
Where Are You Getting The Best Deal?
When looking to buy a used phone online, we can bet you are looking for a trustworthy experience and to find a great deal. MoneySavingPro has developed a comparison tool for you to easily and quickly find the best price for you! For the best combination of savings and security, we've reviewed our five favorite sites for buying a used or refurbished AT&T phone.
We Can Help You Save Even More!
Looking to save even more money? We've got you!
A not-so-well-known secret in the smartphone industry can help you save some dough – Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO's). MVNO's are small carriers that lease service and tower storage from the "Big Four" – Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Simply put, you're getting big company coverage at small company prices.
While this may sound too good to be true, MVNO's make this possible for consumers like you as they buy in bulk, have low overhead costs, spend less on marketing, and don't have many stores to operate. Signing up for an MVNO is quick, easy, and be done completely online. Better yet, when you bring your own device to an MVNO, you can save money on your phone and monthly fees! In addition to amazing saving, other benefits of switching to an MVNO include:
- No long-term contracts
- No credit checks
- Prepaid options available
- Customizable phone plans
- High customer service ratings
- Ability to keep the same phone number
Saving money doesn't have to stop there, rack in some serious cash by selling your current device online. Sure, you could trade your phone in at your AT&T store, but selling online will likely double the amount of money for your smartphone when selling to a buyback site. Choosing to sell online also offers you the ability to multiple compare offers at once.
There's no need to drain your wallet when you're looking to buy your next phone. Finding a phone, like a used AT&T iPhone, is made easy by using the MoneySavingPro comparison tool that helps you find the best deals online.