Black Wireless phone service in 2021
- Great prices for low to moderate data users
- Free talk to 65+ destinations
- Generous international long distance credit with every plan
- Discount for paying 6 or 12 months at a time
- Both monthly and pay-as-you-go plans
- No unlimited data plan
- Higher plan tiers are expensive for the amount of data
- No mobile hotspot
Black Wireless was launched in 2011 and is gaining traction in the world of MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operators). MVNOs are smaller carriers that rent space on one or more of the big four wireless networks and sell it at a lower cost.
Black Wireless, which operates on the AT&T network, is different in a couple of ways: firstly, all plans include free international calling to 65+ countries. Secondly, the carrier offers discounts for buying service in increments of six or 12 months, similar to Mint Mobile.
Black Wireless doesn't offer any unlimited data plans, so it's best for low to medium data users. Instead, this mobile provider is more focused on providing strong international options and pay-as-you-go phone service.
Get all the details - keep reading for our full Black Wireless review!
Black Wireless Prepaid Plans
Because of this carrier's focus on international service, their plans are structured differently from your typical cell phone plan.
You can choose from several different configurations with the following features:
- Unlimited talk and text with limited high-speed data and a chunk of international long distance worldwide
- Limited talk, text, and data with a small international long distance credit
- Unlimited talk and text to 74 countries with between 100 MB and 6 GB of high-speed data
If it seems a bit confusing, it is. The good thing is that if you frequently call other countries, Black Wireless has a lot of flexibility in terms of affordable international service. Plus, their plans each include a credit for international long distance to countries not included in their list of unlimited free calling.
Since 6 GB is the largest high-speed data bucket, Black Wireless is best if you're not a super heavy-duty data user. All plans do come with unlimited 128Kbps data after you use your 4G data, but as you probably know that's not really fast enough for anything but very basic usage.
Text, minutes, and data add-ons are also available a la carte.
Black Wireless Savings
AT&T vs Black Wireless Plan Comparison
Keep your AT&T phone, number & coverage: Save $180 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G LTE||Unltd*||$75/mo||$900/yr|
|Black Wireless||AT&T 4G LTE||6GB||$60/mo||$720/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$15/mo||$180/yr|
Black Wireless Coverage
Black Wireless provides service on the nationwide 4G LTE AT&T network. This is good for you because it means you can get reliable wireless service on one of the big four major carrier networks without the high plan prices.
Maybe you already use the AT&T network, then you already know you're going to get solid reception in your area. If you're not sure whether your location is within the service area, check out our handy Black Wireless coverage map.
Black Wireless Cell Phone Plans
Black Wireless Phone Deals
Black Wireless is a bring your own phone only carrier. They do not sell any devices, so you will provide your own. This can be done in a couple of ways:
- Bring your current phone. If you already have an AT&T phone or other compatible GSM device, you can check the Black Wireless website to verify that it can be used on their service. Unlocked global phones are also likely to be compatible.
- Buy a compatible phone. The best value when it comes to upgrading your device is to buy a refurbished Black Wireless compatible phone. Get a high-end smartphone in great condition for half the retail price.
Regardless of how you obtain your compatible phone, you'll need to order a Black Wireless SIM card. You may also need to adjust your APN settings, particularly if you're bringing a universal unlocked phone.
Not sure if Black Wireless is the right mobile carrier for your needs? Consider the following questions:
- Does the AT&T network provide coverage in your area?
- Do you need affordable international calling?
- Are you a light to medium data user?
- Do you prefer to pay as you go?
- Will you bring your own phone or buy one?
Bottom line: Black Wireless is a great option if you need a lot of international calling minutes for countries like Canada, Mexico, and throughout Europe. Unlimited talk to over 65 countries is an incredible deal.
Since you must bring your own device you won't get roped into expensive monthly phone payments with this carrier. Plan options are flexible, especially for those who don't need a huge amount of high-speed data.
Want to keep shopping? See more prepaid cell phone plans and compare prices instantly!