FreedomPop phone service in 2021
- Free plan with limited talk, text, and data plus Wi-Fi talk/text
- Great pricing for light users
- Earn free data by completing partner offers
- Manual disabling required to avoid overage charges
- Call quality on free plan can be iffy
- Paid plan pricing only good if purchasing 3 months or more at a time
Freedompop is a low cost carrier operating on both AT&T and Sprint networks. They're known for their 'Freemium' cell phone plan, which gives basic phone function for free. They also have great prepaid plans for you to choose from.
Switching to an alternative carrier like FreecomPop could save you $600 a year, per line.
Read on to find out if this is the carrier for you.
FreedomPop plans & pricing
While FreedomPop are known for their free plan, their prepaid plan range is definitely worth checking out. They all include unlimited WiFi calling and text as standard. To build your own plan all you have to do is select the number of minutes for voice and messages, then pick a data bundle to suit your usage.
AT&T vs Freedompop Plan Comparison
Keep your AT&T phone, number & coverage: Save $600 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G LTE||Unltd*||$75/mo||$900/yr|
|Freedompop||AT&T 4G LTE||4GB||$25/mo||$300/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$50/mo||$600/yr|
- Same quality coverage: powered by Sprint and AT&T, you get the same reliable coverage.
- Lower prices: a low cost carrier plan typically costs between $10-$45 a month. With FreedomPop you could get an entirely free service. Compare this with a traditional cell phone plan? You're spending more like $80 a month.
- Simple switching process: you'll be up and running with your new plan within a few days and can even keep your phone number.
- Customize your plan: while basic phone function comes for free, you can adjust your plan as often as you like.
- No commitment: there are no contracts with online only carriers. Switch at any time to find a better deal if your needs change.
- Buy online: choose and buy your plan quickly and easily online. With FreedomPop there's also no app download required.
Powered by AT&T, you get nationwide 4G LTE coverage with this carrier.
What networks does FreedomPop use?
FreedomPop operates on the AT&T network. This means FreedomPop plans can work with both CDMA or GSM devices. A great bonus if you're wanting to bring your own phone.
Network coverage ratings
FreedomPop data speeds
With this carrier, you get 4G LTE speeds powered by AT&T's network. Their free plan comes with a small amount of LTE data, and there's a great range of data bundles you can add on to suit your usage.
FreedomPop data plans
FreedomPop's free plan comes with a very small amount of LTE data, but there are a range of set data bundles you can add on if you choose. There's even an unlimited option. Although we're not huge fans of unlimited plans. Most of us only get through 5GB a month, so why pay a premium for unlimited?
Not sure how much data you need? Check out our data usage calculator and see how much you could save with a set data plan.
|Data Speed:||4G LTE|
|Bring Your Phone:|
|Keep Your Number:|
|Contract:||No - prepaid|
|Money Back Guarantee:|
FreedomPop offers free WiFi calling as standard with all their cell phone plans.
Mobile hotspot & tethering
You can turn your phone into a hotspot and get another device online. For this to work, you'll need to add data to your account and contact their support team to enable the hotspot feature.
Receiving and sending a visual voicemail is something you can do with FreedomPop. Just reach out to them and get this feature enabled.
FreedomPop Family plans
|Freedompop||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines||5 lines|
FreedomPop phone deals
This low cost carrier has a range of iPhones, from older to recently released devices, for you to choose from. If you're looking for a different kind of smartphone you'll have to bring your own. No worries there, bringing your own phone to an online carrier like FreedomPop is super simple.
Compare iPhone prices
|Phone||AT&T||Verizon||T-Mobile||Unlocked||iPhone 11||$349||$349||$349||$349||iPhone 11 Pro||$649||$649||$649||$649||iPhone 11 Pro Max||$749||$749||$749||$749||iPhone 12||$579||$579||$579||$579||iPhone 12 Mini||$479||$479||$479||$479||iPhone 12 Pro||$749||$749||$749||$749||iPhone 12 Pro Max||$849||$849||$849||$849||iPhone SE||$149||$149||$149||$149||iPhone XR||-||$499||$499||$499|
FreedomPop customer service
The comparison table below shows FreedomPop user ratings are higher than all of the major carriers.
|CARRIER||TRUSTPILOT USER RATING|
FreedomPop have a well-stocked online resource center with discussion boards with info to help you resolve any hitches and hurdles. If you want to speak to a real human, you can chat to their customer support team through their website, or call them.
FreedomPop customer support number: 1-888-702-8302
How do FreedomPop plans compare?
|Tello||T-Mobile||1GB||$5** Half Price for 3 Months|
|Reach Mobile||Verizon||3GB||$15** $15 Off for 3 Months|
|Pure Talk||AT&T||4GB||$18.75** 25% Off for 3 Months|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile||10GB||$20** $60 for 3 Months Service|
|Twigby||Verizon||0GB||$6.50** 50% Off for 6 Months|
Switching to FreedomPop
Switching to FreedomPop is easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Choose a plan. Either opt for a basic, free service or build your own plan around your usage.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure old bills are paid and your phone is unlocked.
- Set up your new plan. Once your new number has ported over and you're sure your new plan is up and running, cancel your old one. If you're bringing your own phone, you'll need to follow the instructions with your Freedompop SIM card. Then all you have to do is enjoy a smaller phone bill.
Is FreedomPop really free?
Yes, it's true. FreedomPop does offer a free plan. If you're looking to bring your own phone and you spend most of your days connected to Wi-Fi then the free plan may work for you.
How does FreedomPop Work?
FreedomPop offers a free plan for low data users. It does this by using VoIP - Voice Over Internet Protocol. If you need more data they provide a number of paid plans at a great price.
What network does FreedomPop use?
Freedompop offers a basic free talk, text and data plan for customers in the US, with coverage from the Sprint and AT&T 4G LTE networks. You can build your own plan by adding data bundles, or more talk and text. At this time there's no international calling and no 5G access.
Take a look at Freedompop user reviews to see what our money savers say about this carrier. If FreedomPop doesn't have the features you need, take a look at the other cheap cell phone plans out there.