FreeUP Mobile is a newer MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that launched in early 2018 and operates on the AT&T network. Founded by Rod Nakjavani, the same person who co-founded Simple Mobile, another successful MVNO, FreeUP has high aspirations.
FreeUP Mobile stands out not only amongst MVNOs but amongst any cell phone carrier. The company's goal is to liberate customers from choosing between unreasonable prices and an unreliable network.
And their ultimate goal? To slowly reduce your wireless service bill to $0/month. That's right... free!
COMPARE NOW: FreeUP Mobile Cell Phone Plans
Once you sign up with FreeUP Mobile, you should see your cell phone bill dwindling after you start earning FreeUP rewards. This can be earned by taking surveys, redeeming offers, downloading apps, and referring friends.
Have we caught your attention? Read on to see our full review of FreeUP Mobile.
Table of Contents
FreeUP Mobile Highlights
- Operates on the AT&T network
- Prepaid - no contract, no credit check, no activation fee
- Bring your own compatible GSM phone or buy a FreeUP phone
- Keep your phone number
- Tethering not supported
- Paid plans include unlimited calling to Canada and Mexico; global plans include unlimited talk and text to 100+ countries; other locations available as an add-on
- Use FreeUP Talk app to use Wi-Fi calling while abroad
- Customer service available via contact form
FreeUP Mobile Cell Phone Plans
FreeUP Mobile simplifies plans by allowing you to pay for only what you need. You pay a set base price for the unlimited talk and text and then you pay for each GB of data that you want.
Whether or not FreeUP's pricing is competitive is highly dependent upon you. First, you need to decide on how much data you really need. If you're not sure head on over to our data usage calculator to get more of an idea. (Keep in mind that FreeUP only goes up to 5GB data per device so if you're estimated to need more than that this may not be the MVNO for you.)
Once you choose a plan you can download the FreeUP Rewards mobile app to earn rewards and lower your plan each month by participating in surveys, clipping coupons, watching videos, shopping online, eating local, and referring friends.
If you're looking for a family plan please note that currently, they don't have any bulk plans set up. You'll need to purchase each plan separately and earn your own rewards. The benefit? Split the bill and you can both earn! You can also take advantage of the "refer a friend" option by signing up one phone, sending your referral code in your app to them, and signing up that way. Doing so will get both lines $5 off their first bill.
FreeUP Mobile Pricing: Is it Competitive?
|Carrier||Network Coverage||Data Limit||Monthly Price||Annual Price|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G LTE||Unlimited*||$75||$900|
|FreeUP Mobile||AT&T 4G LTE||4GB||$35||$240|
|* Avg AT&T unlimited plan customer uses 4GB data|
FreeUp Mobile Coverage
FreeUP is an MVNO that runs on the AT&T 4G LTE network meaning they purchase AT&T coverage in bulk and sell it to consumers at more affordable pricing. If you bring your own phone you'll need to purchase a FreeUP SIM Card.
Knowing whether or not you can get cellular service with this provider is as easy as checking the FreeUP mobile coverage map.
AT&T is known to come in third amongst the big for carriers in terms of 4G signal availability (OpenSignal). Keep in mind, however, that the coverage difference between each network is very small - just a matter of percentage points. Be sure to check if you're in a deadzone on the map before committing to this network.
FreeUp Mobile Cell Phone Deals
FreeUP Mobile Phone Options
You've got a few options for how to get a device when you switch to FreeUP:
- Bring your own phone - You can only do this if you have a GSM compatible phone. How do you know if you have a GSM phone? If you currently use the AT&T or T-Mobile networks you have a GSM phone.
- Buy new - FreeUP has a very limited selection of phones through the site so if you're looking for the newest iPhone or Android device you'll need to buy one.
- Buy a refurbished FreeUP device - We make it easy for you to compare prices in seconds. You'll be able to find any device whether it be Google, Apple or Android.
Key Considerations When Choosing FreeUP Mobile
Since MVNOs vary, it's understandable to have a few questions. Before switching to FreeUP here are a few things you need to know:
- Does the AT&T network cover your area?
- Do you have a GSM device?
- How much data do you need?
- Do you have a compatible phone or are you going to pay outright for a FreeUP device?
- Are you OK with operating entirely online?
- How do you earn rewards?
FreeUP gives you service on the nationwide AT&T network for half the price. You'll also be able to lower your bill each month through the FreeUP Rewards program.
Save even more money by purchasing a refurbished phone to compliment your new low-cost plan.
COMPARE NOW: FreeUP Mobile Plans