Thinking of switching to a cheaper cell phone carrier?
Gen Mobile is one of many alternative carriers - called Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) - that are making wireless service more affordable. MVNOs are smaller carriers that lease space on the big four networks and sell it to you at a cheaper price.
California-based Gen Mobile operates on the nationwide 4G LTE Sprint network. It specializes in no-contract cell phone plans for light data users.
COMPARE NOW: Gen Mobile Cell Phone Plans
The young carrier - founded in 2018 - also offers some nice perks for customers who need international service.
Read on for all the details you need to decide if Gen Mobile is right for you!
Table of Contents
Gen Mobile Highlights
- Coverage on the nationwide Sprint network
- Prepaid - no contract, credit check, or activation fee
- 7-day money-back satisfaction guarantee
- Bring your eligible Sprint, Boost, or Virgin Mobile phone or buy a Gen Mobile phone
- Mobile hotspot/tethering supported
- Unlimited global text included; international plans with unlimited talk to 100+ countries, international calling to other countries available at applicable rates
- Customer support available by phone or chat every day from 8am - 6pm PST
Gen Mobile Cell Phone Plans
Gen Mobile plans range from a super cheap option with just text up to 3 GB of 4G LTE data on the Sprint network. The top three tiers come with unlimited calling and texting across the US plus over 100 other countries.
Like many carriers, Gen Mobile offers add-ons as well - buy more minutes, data, or international credit any time you want. You also get mobile hotspot capability with your data plan.
3 GB of data is the largest plan (you can buy extra if you want), so keep that in mind if you're a data-hungry user. Don't worry, though, we've got you heavy-duty streamers covered with great deals on unlimited data plans from other carriers.
Gen Mobile Coverage
Gen Mobile offers Sprint network coverage. Even though Sprint slides into fourth place in overall performance among the big four wireless networks (RootMetrics) it still offers solid coverage across most of the US.
Because Gen Mobile runs on one of the largest wireless networks in the US, you're not sacrificing anything in terms of service quality or coverage by going with this smaller carrier. You get the same dependable network as Sprint customers.
If you're switching over from another Sprint provider then you already know you get great 4G LTE service in your location. If you're new to the Sprint network, just make sure your area is covered on our Gen Mobile coverage map.
Gen Mobile Cell Phone Deals
Gen Mobile Phone Options
You've got two choices with Gen Mobile as far as device options.
Bring Your Own Phone
Have a device you love? There's a good chance you can bring your own phone to your Gen Mobile plan. There are three ways for this option to work:
- Bring your Sprint phone. You're all set if you already have a device designed for Sprint. Just pick your plan and follow the carrier's activation instructions.
- Buy a new or refurbished Gen Mobile-compatible phone. We make it easy for you to find the best Sprint phone deals.
- Bring a phone from another provider. Sprint is a CDMA network, so you'll have the best luck with compatibility if you already have a CDMA phone.
Buy a Phone from Gen Mobile
The carrier offers a decent selection of phones for purchase. Choose from affordable options like the LG G3 all the way to premium smartphones like the iPhone 7 and the Samsung Galaxy S8.
Gen Mobile does not offer phone financing, so you will have to pay in full if you choose this route.
Key Considerations When Choosing Gen Mobile
Is Gen Mobile the right wireless carrier for you? Ask yourself a few questions to help you decide:
- Does Gen Mobile (Sprint) provide good coverage in your area?
- Are you looking for a carrier with no contracts or overage fees?
- Are you a light to medium data user?
- Do you do a lot of international texting and calling?
- Do you plan to bring your own phone or buy a new (or used) device?
Gen Mobile packs a powerful punch into its international service, with free calling and texting to 100+ countries on its top three plans. Plus, if you're late on your bill the carrier gives you 15 days of free texting before cutting you off.
While its data buckets are modest, Gen Mobile is a great choice for those who don't go crazy with online gaming and HD video streaming. With its 7-day money-back guarantee you have nothing to lose by giving this cheaper cell phone carrier a go.
Need a phone to bring to your new plan? Check out great prices on refurbished cell phones!
COMPARE NOW: Gen Mobile Cell Phone Plans