Ting cell phone plans review
Simple plans for light phone users
Nationwide LTE and 5G coverage
Good selection of handsets
Not for the data hungry user
Ting is a low cost carrier that gives the same great coverage you'd get from a big network, only at a much better price.
Since launching in 2012, they've gained a solid reputation for offering great customer service alongside quality cellular service. When you call them, you'll get a real human being on the other end of the phone.
Let's take a closer look at what Ting has to offer, so you can figure out if this is the carrier for you.
Best Ting prepaid phone plans
Cheapest Ting phone plans
|Ting Unlimited Talk & Text||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||0GB||$10** $5 extra per GB|
|Ting 1GB||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||1GB||$15|
|Ting 5GB||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||5GB||$25|
|Ting 12GB||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||12GB||$35|
|Ting Unlimited Data||T-Mobile & Verizon||Unltd||Unltd||Unltd||$45|
Verizon vs Ting comparison
Keep your Verizon phone, number & coverage: Save $660 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G/5G Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|Verizon||Verizon 4G & 5G||Unltd*||$80/mo||$960/yr|
|Ting||Verizon 4G & 5G||5GB||$25/mo||$300/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$55/mo||$660/yr|
Ting Mobile benefits
In November 2020, Ting got a serious facelift. They shaved hundreds of dollars from their plan offering so you now get much more bang for your buck. Rather than offering a tiered system, where you pay for however much you use, Ting plans are tailor-made to suit different cell phone users.
Starting with a 'Flex' option, ideal for those who need basic phone functions, and working up to an 'Unlimited Pro' plan with 35GB of data. Plus, every plan now comes with unlimited talk and text as standard. Multi-line accounts are available but, at present, you can't mix and match with the five plan types. Everyone in a multi-line account has to be on the same kind of plan.
- National coverage: Ting is powered by T-Mobile's 4G LTE network - so you'll enjoy the same service quality as the big guys.
- Big savings: shave as much as $600 a year off each line by switching.
- Simple switching process: you'll be up and running with a new plan in a few days.
- Great choice: choose from five budget-friendly plans to suit your cell phone needs.
- Buy online: there's no need to visit a store, you can choose a plan from Ting online, and their customer support team can help get you up and running quickly and easily.
- Great customer support: Ting care about getting it right and have a stand-out reputation when it comes to looking out for their customers.
- International calls and roaming - you can use your plan minutes to call 60+ international locations and international roaming capability comes as an add on.
Ting family plans
|Plan||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
|Ting Unlimited Talk & Text||$10||$20$10/line||$30$10/line||$40$10/line|
|Ting Unlimited Data||$45||$90$45/line||$135$45/line||$180$45/line|
What network towers does Ting use?
Ting is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, or MVNO for short. This means they rent their network coverage from the big carriers. In Ting's case, it's T-Mobile's network. Because Ting doesn't have the same overheads as a big network like T-Mobile, they can charge their customers much less for the same coverage and service. Plus, because T-Mobile has 5G access, if you go with Ting, 5G is available to you too.
Network coverage ratings
Ting Mobile features
Ting comes with a whole host of features, including HD Video Streaming, Visual voicemail, and WiFi calling. Let's take a look at the others.
- Mobile hotspot - All Ting plans come with an allotment of data you can use to hotspot another device. Ideal if you need to get online when you're out and about, or if your home WiFi drops out. Tethering is allowed, but at present speeds limited to 3G for GSM.
- Bring your own phone - Because Ting works on both GSM and CDMA, you're less likely to run into hitches or hurdles if you want to keep your current device. Most devices are compatible, or you can buy one from Ting. You can keep your number too.
- International calling - Domestic roaming comes as standard, but you can also use your minutes with Ting to call over 60 countries. If there's a country not on the list, you can get an add on for that.
Ting customer service
Ting customer reviews are generally positive and the carrier has a good reputation when it comes to customer support.
Ting customer service is available by phone, online chat, or email.
Ting customer service phone number: (855) 846-4389
Bring your own phone to Ting
Ting will simply provide you with a prepaid SIM card. You pop it into your cell phone and follow the provider's instructions. You need an unlocked phone (meaning your carrier has released it for use on another network). You can check that your phone is compatible with Ting before you sign up and the rest is a breeze.
Just make sure you don't cancel your current phone plan until you've ported your phone number over to the new carrier.
How to switch to Ting
Seamlessly switch in three simple steps.
- Choose your data plan. Find the one that suits your cell phone needs.
- Prepare to make the switch. Make sure old bills are paid up and your phone is unlocked. If you're getting a new device through Ting you can transfer data from one to another.
- Set up your new plan. Keep your current carrier account open until your number has ported over. Once your new plan is up and running, shut down your old one. If you've got a new device with your Ting plan, it should be ready to use when it arrives. If you're bringing your own phone, follow the instructions with the new SIM card kit and if you get stuck, their customer support team are on hand to help.
Best Ting phone deals
While you can bring your own device with you to a new Ting plan, you can also bag a new device if you fancy an upgrade. They have a range of cell phones including a range of the most recent Apple iPhones and Samsung Galaxy devices.
Cheapest Ting cell phone prices
|Phone||Storage||Network||Condition||Price||Motorola Moto E||32GB||T-Mobile||New||$0||Nokia 6300||4GB||T-Mobile||New||$69||NUU Mobile F4L||4GB||T-Mobile||New||$79||TCL A30||32GB||T-Mobile||New||$119||Nokia 2.4||32GB||T-Mobile||New||$139||Nokia G10||32GB||T-Mobile||New||$149||Motorola Moto G Play||32GB||Verizon||New||$150||Nokia 3.4||32GB||T-Mobile||New||$179||Motorola Moto G Power||64GB||Verizon||New||$180||OnePlus Nord N100||64GB||T-Mobile||New||$199||Samsung Galaxy A12||32GB||T-Mobile||New||$199||LG Stylo 6||64GB||T-Mobile||New||$229||Motorola Moto G Fast||32GB||T-Mobile||New||$249|
Ting Mobile plans FAQs
What is Ting Mobile?
Ting Mobile is a low cost carrier that offers a variety of cheap cell phone plans.
What network does Ting use?
Ting Mobile is powered by the Verizon and T-Mobile 4G LTE & 5G national networks.
Which phones work on Ting?
You should be able to bring most unlocked phones to Ting. There can be issues with Verizon devices, but Ting have a compatibility checker on their site if you're not sure.
How much does Ting cost?
Ting offers a range of cheap cell phone plans starting at $10 per month.
Recap - Is Ting good?
Ting is a much-loved low cost carrier with a great reputation for looking after their customers.
They do five plans for those who don't use their phone much, through to snazzy 'Unlimited Pro'. Because Ting operate with GSM and CDMA you're more likely to be able to ring your own phone and you can port the same number too.
All this said, if you're a low cell phone user Ting could be a perfect fit. But, for those using a lot of data or looking for an unlimited plan, check out some of the other low cost carriers.